Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finished my first DE at Hallett this weekend. Did 4 sessions Saturday and 3 Sunday. I was so tired after Saturday, we went to eat after and I was falling asleep in the car on the way home. My wife was driving so no worries. I would nod off and then wake up with a start and ask her "are you okay?". She would just laugh and say it's fine, you can sleep.

My first laps were a disaster and the instructor told me to pull into the pits so he could drive. He did two laps and I could see better when to brake and turn in. After that things went much better and I improved every session. Another thing that helped is we did the Ride and Drive around after lunch. My wife drove the Boxster and we followed a lead car around at about 25-30 mph and I was telling her where the instructor was showing me to stay out, turn in, etc. It really helped me see the line better.

Turn 4 at Hallett is tough and you have to hit it right to get turn 5 right and that one frustrated me the entire day until the last couple of laps on the last session. It just really feels weird. When I did it halfway right though I carried so much more speed through 5 into 6 I got a little squirrely. The instructor said "the car just saved your ***". Ha! He was really impressed with the Boxster, I got many compliments on the color and several people said "Oh yours is the car with the awesome exhaust". I guess the GTS sports exhaust sounded pretty good.

I actually left the PASM in normal through the first 3 sessions. I just didn't think about it, was thinking about too many other things. I also left it is sport mode the first day until halfway through the last session and then went sport plus the rest of the time. You can go plenty fast believe me. This goes along with advice saying don't worry about video, etc. you'll have enough to worry about and I wholeheartedly agree. Anyway, there was a photographer there and I bought a CD that has pictures of my car and some video, I'll get that in a week, so lack of video was not an issue. I also did not worry about tire pressures either and things were fine. My buddy that showed up Sunday was all in to his tire pressures though but he's much more advanced and faster.

It was a blast! DO IT, DO IT, DO IT! You will not be disappointed. And the car is freaking awesome.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Glad you enjoyed it, prepare to open your wallet.

Reactions: Mike R.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I can predict the future: More DE's for you coming! :)

Awesome, thanks for sharing - tracking a new Porsche, especially that GTS is a very cool experience.

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,107 Posts
Here are a couple of pics. The first is the starting grid for the green group. And the second is me coming in after a session.
That 2nd pic must've been taken after the 1st session. The rotors aren't glowing from brake usage. Don't worry. You'll get faster and learn how to use your brakes.

[ducksundrennswegschnell]

:taunt:

:hilarious:

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That 2nd pic must've been taken after the 1st session. The rotors aren't glowing from brake usage. Don't worry. You'll get faster and learn how to use your brakes.

[ducksundrennswegschnell]

:taunt:

:hilarious:

Well, there is a cool down lap...

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I did my first DE a few weeks ago .... a very intense experience and eye opening regarding the 981's capabilities. I also left PASM in its normal mode and it did just fine keeping the car balanced and stable through every turn .. in spite of my best efforts to upset it. ;-) My instructor's best comment after a run was, "You have a supercar here and I want you to know that."

I did wind up taking my car into a local shop later to get all that rubber debris removed from the tires. I couldn't believe how much of the track came home with me!

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just received the DVD of photos the professional photographer took. Here's a few good ones:

IMG_7223.jpg IMG_7322.jpg IMG_6592.jpg

·
Registered
507 Posts
sounds like a great time! It's pretty interesting that you sitting passenger helped you see the line, sometimes its cool to experience things like that! The more time you spend on track the easier it will be to see those things!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts