Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did my first DE at a the local event. What a blast. I was amazed how well my Cayman S handled. I did an event 10 years ago in my 1991 C4 and the Cayman is a lot more fun and better car in my opinion. I would like to do more but the abuse on the tires??? I guess I shouldn't worry about the tires and sign up for the Texas World Speedway DE:)

·
Premium Member
3,809 Posts
Welcome to your new addiction!

Yep, tires are one of the biggest wear items and expenses with doing DEs (well, then there's brake pads, entry fees, travel expenses, etc.) - once you are hooked, it probably makes sense to get some extra rims for track tires, and save your street tires. You might want to start checking the wheel ads in the Classified section . . . ;)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Welcome to your new addiction!

Yep, tires are one of the biggest wear items and expenses with doing DEs (well, then there's brake pads, entry fees, travel expenses, etc.) - once you are hooked, it probably makes sense to get some extra rims for track tires, and save your street tires. You might want to start checking the wheel ads in the Classified section . . . ;)
Than I will need a trailer for either the tires/wheels or the Cayman. I already have the truck. Maybe I going :crazy:

·
Registered
317 Posts
Re: Welcome to your new addiction!

Than I will need a trailer for either the tires/wheels or the Cayman. I already have the truck. Maybe I going :crazy:
from the dark side"Run to the light"

Oh what a tangled web we weave....When we do our first D.E. :hilarious::burnout:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Congrats on your first DE. I just finished my first DE today. The Chicago Region PCA was out at Blackhawk Farms. The weather started out wet and gradually became drier as the day progressed. What an experience! It was amazing taking the CS out on the track for the first time. Clearly the car is superior in all ways to my driving skills. Fortunately I kept the car on the track at all times without spinning. I now look forward to my next DE's in a couple of weeks which will be at the Autobahn in Joliet with Napleton and the Porsche instructors they fly in to help us drivers out.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Welcome. I too am beginning the DE journey. Tires seem to be the biggest actual car expense. But on the track the Cayman is very confidence building for an average driver (like me). Usually the first session is being reminded of the track itself and the feel of the car and surroundings at higher speeds.

Then the later sessions work on line, smoothness and other skills. By the end of the day, my sense of aggression is fully gone.

But what I have found is that my normal street driving has changed. I am better aware of what the car si doing, I anticipate events further from the car, and I am more smooth. Just my experiences. Drive safe. Ed

·
Premium Member
1,614 Posts
I say the Cayman is a noble car. It doesn't bite back, unless you really push it over the limit. It is a fun car to learn and it can forgive a lot of mistakes. In the beginning I did not realize how good it was/is. Now I can appreaciatte it a lot more.

I drive to the events in my tack tires, but they are only 35 to 60 miles away, and I drive in DOT approved tires, ( Pilot Sport Cup). The second expense are brake pads. Make sure you check them regularly if you track your car.

If you are bitten by the bug, it is a woderfull car. Consumables are not cheap. I also drove a Mazda Miata and was surprised how much fun it was. Other people are driving spec (older) Boxters since they are cheaper, especially with 17" tires.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
It's a bug that truly bites, but is way too much fun. Just started with AX, DE and more. I recently started driving in the Porsche Owners Club Performance Driving Series.

Five month's in, I have a trailer, additional rims and tires for track events, race seats, harness and a bunch more. Additional cooling systems and peformance stuff have been installed on my CS. Most importantly I have invested heavily in personal safety equipment and a I built very friendly relationship with my Porsche shop????

In addition I have a 914 in the garage waiting for my eldest daughter to turn 16. You'd think I was a millionaire but no, I just caught the track bug big time.

Track rims and tires are money well spent. Build a good relationship with your local independent Porsche shop and they may help you out if you are serious. Mine has, they have been very encouraging and keep the price of my "hobby" manageable.

Good luck and have fun.

3 Lions.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Did my first DE at a the local event. What a blast. I was amazed how well my Cayman S handled. I did an event 10 years ago in my 1991 C4 and the Cayman is a lot more fun and better car in my opinion. I would like to do more but the abuse on the tires??? I guess I shouldn't worry about the tires and sign up for the Texas World Speedway DE:)
Sounds like you are hooked. It only takes one time! Post pics of the trailer and track rims when you get to that point haha.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts