Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, Ive been lurking around this forum reading all I can for a while, doing my homework, but now I finally have a set of Porsche keys, I figured to introduce myself and say Hi!

Hi!

Just yesterday, swapped my beloved Audi S5 for a stunning little blue Cayman.... fancied a change and trying to avoid a massive service cost!

Sure I'll have many questions and queries along the way until I class myself as an knowledgable owner, bu ti the meantime, please be gentle on any newbie stuff! haha

Anyway, as there will no doubt be a tirade of 'wheres the pictures?!' ... heres is my first shot, taken on the way home from the garage.

Gotta say, i'm loving the drive so far, not been one for wallflower cars for a long time, but i'm enjoying the change from low down grunt of my old 4.2 V8 and to the more revvy little number!

off to get my dash cam, rear camera and bluetooth module wired in today and go driving.

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Well welcome to Porsche World
What a great choice especially the sapphire blue color; same as my Macan.
Is it a base Cayman or an S; stick or PDK ? Coming from a S5 I hope you got a CS

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's an S... I secretly just wanted red calipers! Haha

Manual too, having had a few performance autos in the past, (Z4M and a M6) I wasn't against it, but the S5 had reminded me on the fun of a manual...

Loving it so far, nice to have something nimble again...

Few tweaks, hard wired in the dash cam, reversing camera and phone charger etc, tracker wired in and just need to fit the bluetooth module to the optical link for the Bose...

Sorted! Haha

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Congrats! Is it 987.1 or .2 and do you have the cdr24 unit? I'm curious to know how you fitted a bluetooth module. Can you educate me a bit.

And I'm also curious about the phone charger .. I assume you're not talking about using a cigarette lighter charger?

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's good news. You obviously love it already
I do!! Haha

In all seriousness though, I wanted the S for the extra grunt, not much but important! Slowly stepping down in power over the past few year... 505bhp... 360bhp... 300bhp, but now I've got silly season out of the way I know that its not all about the willy-waving!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Congrats! Is it 987.1 or .2 and do you have the cdr24 unit? I'm curious to know how you fitted a bluetooth module. Can you educate me a bit.

And I'm also curious about the phone charger .. I assume you're not talking about using a cigarette lighter charger?
It's a .1 with CDR30 and Bose, I've got a fibre optic bluetooth adapter for it. I'll post the link and review once i get it installed!

Phone charger and dash cam hardwired into the fuse box through a 12-5v DC converter... kn and off with ignition sonjo flat battery! Suprised me they didn't install one if the two cigarette lighters as switched live!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

It's a .1 with CDR30 and Bose, I've got a fibre optic bluetooth adapter for it. I'll post the link and review once i get it installed!

Phone charger and dash cam hardwired into the fuse box through a 12-5v DC converter... on and off with ignition so no flat battery! Suprised me they didn't install one if the two cigarette lighters as switched live!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Wattsie - it was explained somewhere there is a reason the 12V outlets are always live. They can be used to charge the battery that way, or provide 12.6V to make the hatch releases work. If the battery goes dead - you can't get to it by normal means since the front hatch is electronic. Porsche provides 3 ways to get it open (besides a big hammer) - there is an emergency release cable buried somewhere in the starboard side front wheel-well. I've found it inside the f-trunk, haven't bothered looking for it in the wheel-well. There is a battery connection point built into a pull-out lug in the fuse box in the port side footwell. And there are the 12V/lighter outlets.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
make the hatch releases work.
Haha I did wonder about the bonnet release (is bonnet a dirty word round these parts?! haha) when i first looked at it... but found the pull out bar when rummaging around in the fuse box.....

Didn't know about the release cable... i shall go searching....

They can be used to charge the battery that way
Makes sense, constant live for the battery tender.. I had heard they were a good idea if left alone for a while! I just don't see why they didn't make an 'accessory' one with a switched live! anyway, far from me to second guess the designers... (I hate that, I'm a designer....)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So... update on bluetooth...
I'm curious to know how you fitted a bluetooth module. Can you educate me a bit.
When I bought the car, i noticed the CDC magazine was missing, and I wasn't going to buy a new one as most of my CD's are boxed in the loft and i use my phone for music and podcasts etc (as well as talking to the wife)... so ditching the CDC and fitting a bluetooth module was the best bet.

I got one of these:

To fit it you just unplug the MOST fibre link from the CDC, add a loop to the end to let the fibre line and thats it in the front...

Inside, you need to take the radio out, i'm sure theres loads of instructions on this... unplug the MOST fibre from the PCM and plug it into the little fibre harness that comes with the bluetooth adaptor. This harness has two MOST plugs, one for the adaptor, one for the PCM, clip, clip, then get a 12v and ground from the PCM harness (red/green +12v and brown for GND), fit the power cable to the bluetooth adaptor... nearly there... make sure it all works.... then fit the AUX line, USB extension and microphone... run a load of cables round the car and hide the adaptor behind the PCM....

Works great, crystal clear and no issues at all... bluetooth music, handsfree, (not sussed finding contacts on the PCM yet) and charges your phone too. Also got a SD card for mp3's.. not tried that yet.

All in all, about 45 mins of work... hour or so additional swearing and dropping the torch as it was getting dark... twist locks on the side of the PCM are a bugger too!

Watts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Watts thanks for the update on the Bluetooth mod for your PCM 2.1.
mine is a cdr24 so I guess no joy for me.
Meanwhile I’m using a Bluetooth FM transmitter which works well-to-okay-ish 😅

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
does this mean it is ok to leave the USB phone charger inside the cigarette lighter slot at all times even when the car is turned off?
It's my understanding (and I'm sure a grown up will agree or correct) that if you leave the charger in the cigarette lighter it will drain your battery....

I have bypassed the cigarette lighter and connected directly to the fuse box so when you take the key out, the power is cut to the charger.

I guess you could adapt the cigarette lighter to be switched live but then the battery charging/tender wouldnt work on that socket...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Watts thanks for the update on the Bluetooth mod for your PCM 2.1.
mine is a cdr24 so I guess no joy for me.
Meanwhile I’m using a Bluetooth FM transmitter which works well-to-okay-ish
I think... would have to check... that the adaptor works with cdr24 as well.. could be wrong though....

·
Registered
7 Posts
@Wattsie--I can't speak for the U.K., but across the Pond we use bonnet when talking about our British cars (I own a MINI, too). With Porsches, the front trunk is called the "frunk."

1 - 20 of 30 Posts