Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
Well, finally, a review from someone who has actually driven the beast...

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Sure, but right off the bat I'm annoyed with this review.

This is utter garbage:

In order to essentially cram a 911’s engine into the middle of a Cayman, some compromises have been made. The block is reversed compared to the 911’s layout, and some machining was required to make it fit. Further, the intake manifold from the 911 doesn’t fit, so the GT4 uses Cayman pieces that restrict horsepower.
None of that is true. The block being reversed isn't a compromise. That's just how 981's are made since the engine is in front of the drive wheels rather than behind them. That's not a compromise. And the intake manifold doesn't reduce horsepower. The ECU reduces horsepower because that's what Porsche wants it to do.

This guy's been drinking too much of VAG's KoolAid.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Sure, but right off the bat I'm annoyed with this review.

This is utter garbage:

None of that is true. The block being reversed isn't a compromise. That's just how 981's are made since the engine is in front of the drive wheels rather than behind them. That's not a compromise. And the intake manifold doesn't reduce horsepower. The ECU reduces horsepower because that's what Porsche wants it to do.

This guy's been drinking too much of VAG's KoolAid.
How are you so sure that the intake (and exhaust) don't restrict power. I think it would make sense that these would be issues in this chassis.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
How are you so sure that the intake (and exhaust) don't restrict power. I think it would make sense that these would be issues in this chassis.
It's been well documented here that on the 3.4's, the power is artificially held back by programming that keeps the throttle body from fully opening at WOT. There's just nothing about the packaging that prevents them from fitting whatever intake they want, especially in the Cayman. Someone might argue there's less room in the Boxster due to needing the space for the roof, but there's no such issue on the Cayman and you could even argue that the Cayman has better access to intake air.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts