Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 Boxster (base), 987.2.

I am replacing the brake pads with ceramic pads, to reduce the dust.
I am a novice at this, if you have any suggestion/tips please feel free to share.

I am not replacing the rotors at this time.

I have all the tools I need, I have the replacement pads (Powerstop / Evolution).

I am using the Porsche Lift Bars and jack stands.

I have watched a few YouTube videos.

I have removed the brake pads, I had to remove the caliper to drop out the old pads.

My question is, can I reuse the "brake damper" ?
I don't mind ordering new ones, it is just unexpected from the videos I watched...so, I didn't have them ordered in advance.

The Pelican Parts video I watched showed new brake dampers being installed and a back covering was removed to allow the damper to "stick" to the pad.

I only have the passenger side front wheel off at this time.

While my wheels are off, I will be giving them a good wash on both sides. I have read there are some wheel wash/waxes to use that will help wash off brake dust. Any tips on a good brand/product to buy would be Great to know.

Last week I had four new Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S tires put on.

Thank-you in advance.

Tom
Mid-Michigan

·
Registered
130 Posts
You can definitely reuse the dampers. I still my original dampers after many brake pad changes.

I don’t pull the caliper to change pads, only when changing rotors. I use a cheap pad spreader, but a big set of slip joint pliers will also work, just make sure you protect the painted surface of the caliper.

Yes, you get a little more damping if they are adhered to the pads. I don’t glue the dampers to the pads, but you may be more sensitive to vibration than me.

For washing wheels I used Griot’s products but recently switched to Car Guys. Cleans just as well with less scrubbing. Any good quality wax will work.

Good choice on tires. I put the same on my wife’s Cayman last year.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Be super careful around the sensors, they become brittle from heat cycles, they break so easy it's shocking and so is the replacement bill.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Be super careful around the sensors, they become brittle from heat cycles, they break so easy it's shocking and so is the replacement bill.
Some times damaging them is unavoidable. I've found Amazon's prices much more reasonable. Examples for 987.2, verify fitment for your car before ordering. There are several vendors with similar sensors.
Front Right
Front Left
Rear

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
If you do use ceramic pads I feel like they do not have the same amount of bite, I have found you need more pedal effort, I reuse the dampeners, you will not need to remove any bolts, I use a putty knife to separate the front pads from the dampeners.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank-you for the heads-up on the sensor and the ceramic pads/bite. I don't track or race the car. I am hoping the loss of performance is minimal. Mainly, I want to reduce the brake dust. I will take it easy and watch for a change in brake performance.

I was able to get the sensor off without breaking a wire. It seems like when I do something for the first time - I always break it... some how, I lucked out this time.

For some reason, I was not able to wiggle the brake pads out of the top of the caliper, so I took the caliper off, held it in my hand while I got the brake pads out and then fastened it back on. I ordered 8 new caliper bolts today.. but, am hoping that now I have a better understanding of the brake pad and dampener I will be able to get the others out the top..but, in case I can't, I will have the new bolts on hand and ready. (y)

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
I don't think this has been mentioned so in case you don't already know. With new pads and used rotors you won't have max braking performance until they bed in. The flat pads don't match the wavy surface of the rotors so you don't get full contact. You'll be able to stop, you just won't have the braking you're used to. They'll wear in over a hundred miles or so of stop and go driving or there are bedding procedures you can follow. The pad manufacturer may have one or it should come up in a search.

It's been a while but off the cuff, bedding is something like a half dozen 50% stops from 60 to 40 mph followed by a couple max braking stops down to almost zero. Don't come to a full stop until the rotors cool a bit. Finding a place to do this can be a challenge. If you go this way I'd suggest verifying. As I say it's been a while.

And before you move the car after installing the pads pump the pedal a few times till it's firm. Remember the pads are pushed away from the rotors. It can be exciting pumping the pedal while rolling down the driveway...

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
You can definitely reuse the dampers. I still my original dampers after many brake pad changes.
I don’t pull the caliper to change pads, only when changing rotors. I use a cheap pad spreader, but a big set of slip joint pliers will also work, just make sure you protect the painted surface of the caliper.
Yes, you get a little more damping if they are adhered to the pads. I don’t glue the dampers to the pads, but you may be more sensitive to vibration than me.
For washing wheels I used Griot’s products but recently switched to Car Guys. Cleans just as well with less scrubbing. Any good quality wax will work.
I agreed with everything CaymanR99 said plus the sensors difficulty. Use channel lock plyers to squeeze the pads in so you can remove them one at a time without unbolting the caliper. Are you sure you don't have a ridge along the top of the rotor ? This will make pads removal difficult because rotor wear where the pads are. Did you measure the rotor thickness; there is a spec for this.
For bedding drive at 30-40 mph and lightly hold the brake pedal down maybe 1/2 mile or so a couple times.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
HI, when I read the post about rotor thickness I thought to myself "self - the rotors are fine, I'm only doing this because I want less brake dust". So, easy enough to check... I walk out into garage telling myself "there is no ridge on the rotor"... after a quick inspection I told myself "self - that is a HUGE ridge!! on the rotor". :oops:

I will look up the rotor specs, as the owner I should know these things. I am glad you brought this up. I will see if I can at least get the other 3 wheels off now, while I am on lunch break.

Good to know on the break-in / bedding process. I will look at the manufacturer and review.

Due to the Coronavirus, I am WFH (working from home) until further notice... going on 13 weeks now.

Thank-you for continuing to share your tips/suggestions, very helpful for me.

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
VW sensors will probably be the cheaper of the 3.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I ordered the Power Stop® - Evolution Performance Drilled and Slotted 1-Piece Brake Rotors. They will probably arrive next week, it seems most things are shipping slower these days.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The new rear rotors arrived yesterday, the front rotors are due to arrive in 2 days.

I have not yet decided if I am going to do the rear rotors, I'd really like to get the fronts completed first.

I was not able to get the dampers out thru the top of the caliper, so I removed the 2 caliper mounting bolts and the 10mm bolt for the brake-line-bracket.

I have removed both front brake rotors.

I currently have the two front calipers suspended via bungie cords from the suspension spring.

I want to inquire, should I use some brake-clean product to spray down the backing plate and hub area ?

If so, should I spray down the brake caliper as well ? and.. is there any concern with spraying inside of the damper piston bores ?

I am trying to get things prepped and ready for an easy rotor replacement on Monday.

Thank-you,
Tom
Mid-Michigan

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
I would spray it all. Not aware of any problems.
If you are going to replace the rear pads do the rotors at the same time otherwise save both for future need.
You did get a full set of caliper bolts ?
Let us know how the braking and dust are after some use. Never used Power Stop.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Augie, I was able to get the caliper bolts from my local Porsche dealership in Lansing Michigan. My front brake calipers are arriving 1 day early, they are due to arrive later this afternoon.

Yesterday, while I had the wheels off I washed each one on both sides and then waxed each one on both sides.

Wheel Before Wash.JPG
Wheel Before Wash.JPG
Wheel After Wash.JPG
4 Wheels After Wash.JPG

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
That will help keep them cleaner or easier to clean

Reactions: Boristhespyder

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yesterday I got the front calipers re-mounted with the dampers cleaned up and re-installed. I put the 10mm bolt back in holding the bracket for the brake sensor wires. I put the original caliper bolts back in, just temporarily until I decide I have done the final and will not need to pull it apart, then I will put the new bolts in a torq to 65 ft lbs.

This evening I will drop in the brake pads, reconnect the sensor wires and re-install the spring-bracket, pin and cotter pin.
BrakeStop Rotor.JPG

1 - 20 of 40 Posts