Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first (and I thought it woud be an easy one) was to replace the exhaust tips from the stock tips (I don't like the style) to the aftermarket exhaust tips from MaxSpeed. It's nicely polished and looks good!

So I removed the one bolt that holds the stock tips on (the nut came off easily) but the stock part is STUCK! No matter I try to wiggle it off, it's STUCK in place.:eek: I don't want to damage anything here, but does anyone have ideas (besides bring it in to the dealer)? Have you done this before?:helpme:

Thanks in advance!
:cheers:
--Hal, Stock 2007 Cayman S

·
Premium Member
3,810 Posts
They can be pretty hard to get off (and on sometimes too). I would attack it with some PB Blaster or WD-40 and gently bang on the overlapping sleeves to try and loosen it up a bit. You usually have to twist the tips back and forth (actually rotating CW/CCW) to work it off the collector pipe.

You might want to wrap a rag around the tips while your doing it, or remove the trim surround in the bumper (Step#6 here: http://www.planet-9.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=171&cat=all ), so you don't mar it.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick response! I don't know what PB Blaster is, but I do have a lot of WD-40! When it stops raining here in So Cal, I'll try it again (this weekend) and soak it with WD-40. I'll wrap it with a rag and tap on it with a rubber mallet. A lot of twisting too.

Andrew, what tires do you use on the track? Do you have a set for track and another set for street? How does your Tiptronic do on the track? I have a tip also (as well as a 6 speed).

Thanks!:thanks:
--Hal

·
Premium Member
3,810 Posts
. . . Andrew, what tires do you use on the track? Do you have a set for track and another set for street? How does your Tiptronic do on the track? I have a tip also (as well as a 6 speed).
I have a separate set of track wheels/tires - last year I ran on Nitto NT05s, this year I am debating between another set of them, or trying out the new Hankook Ventus RS-3.

The nice thing about the Tip on the track is you don't have concentrate so much on downshifts (i.e. worrying about smooth heel/toe downshifts, over-revs, etc.). The bad thing is that the Tip does have a mind of its own, and will sometimes downshift mid-corner and unsettle the car if you aren't careful. I always drive with it in manual mode, and initiate my downshifts early in my braking so the car downshifts before turn-in.

I saw 2 Caymans listed in your Sig, but I assumed you had replaced one with the other - you must be one of the few 2 Cayman families. :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
WD40 and some big taps with a rubber hammer. Then wiggle. Use a rag on the back edge so you don't cut your hand (sharp edge).

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
Thanks for the quick response! I don't know what PB Blaster is, but I do have a lot of WD-40! When it stops raining here in So Cal, I'll try it again (this weekend) and soak it with WD-40. I'll wrap it with a rag and tap on it with a rubber mallet. A lot of twisting too.

Andrew, what tires do you use on the track? Do you have a set for track and another set for street? How does your Tiptronic do on the track? I have a tip also (as well as a 6 speed).

Thanks!:thanks:
--Hal
Hal,
Please click on the Garage link at the top of the page and add your cars to the garage! Thanks!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all for the help. I soaked the area with WD-40 for a day and the old stock tip came slowly off, after a lot of twisting. I'm stoked about the new exhaust tips! I think they're COOL! :cool:I'll get a better image in the daytime...

--Hal

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's a daylight shot.

--Hal

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Re: Butt dyno results?

Can you notice/feel the difference in power or response yet? I thought about this route, but opted for a exhaust upgrade. I suspect half the power gain comes from a free flow exit after the mufflers (separate in my case). The original Porsche solution (blunt T connection) was insane.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts