Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question:

I got my oil changed for the first time (7K), and when I check the oil indicator now, the line is above the top arrow. I was always between the arrows before. I called the service manager and he told me it is fine. I did not get a warning message, so I assume I'm ok. I check the manual too, but the illustrations shows it between both arrows as well.

Any thoughts? Thank you!

Best,
Philip

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
The manual says the oil indicator should not be above the top line. This is pushing 7.5 liters of oil, too much IMO, but I'm no service tech.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I thought. But I actually saw the tech check the gauge and I remember that it was all the way full. I should be able to trust the tech and the service manager right? ;)

·
On Probation
582 Posts
take it back

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
The problem with the "segment" system of measurement used in the cars is that it could be 4oz overfilled and end up in the top segment or it could be a quart. So it may or may not be a big deal. If you're concerned about it, contact the service manager and ask them to drain some out. In all likelihood, it's not a big deal.

brad

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's 30 miles away, and I drove quite a bit before I thought about it. How bad could this be for the car?

I didn't get any warning messages, so I guess I should be fine until I bring it back tomorrow. It is just annoying, I shouldn't have to double check the porsche tech. :(

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The problem with the "segment" system of measurement used in the cars is that it could be 4oz overfilled and end up in the top segment or it could be a quart. So it may or may not be a big deal. If you're concerned about it, contact the service manager and ask them to drain some out. In all likelihood, it's not a big deal.

brad
Thanks, that makes me feel a little better. I'll bring it back tomorrow, they also ordered the wrong tire pressure sensors for my winter wheels. ;)

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
It's 30 miles away, and I drove quite a bit before I thought about it. How bad could this be for the car?

I didn't get any warning messages, so I guess I should be fine until I bring it back tomorrow. It is just annoying, I shouldn't have to double check the porsche tech. :(
It's probably not all that much overfilled, and it's not going to wreck the car in the next 24 hours. If you're that concerned, take it back and have them drain some out. Up to 1/2 a quart is not a big deal... you can calm down, honest.

brad

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all! I'll take her in tomorrow for the wheel swap anyway, I'll have them drain a bit.

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
I've heard of a couple of "overfills" from our local dealer - they told the owners they put the factory-recommended amount in - and having changed my own oil I think I understand why slight overfills might happen. It takes what seems like forever for the oil to completely drain from these engines. On my first oil change I wanted to see it stop dripping, so I let it sit. And sit. And just under *two hours* later it stopped dripping, and the oil was quite hot. I can't imagine a tech being that patient, so perhaps after the factory-recommended 20 minutes (if they wait that long) there's a few ounces of oil left in the engine. Frankly, I'm not that patient either, so on the second oil change I let it drip for an hour and then said the heck with it, but I only put in eight quarts of new oil. Now the reading is one bar below the max line, and that's fine with me. It doesn't burn a measurable amount of oil anyway.

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
Just got mine changed last week in anticipation of its hibernation and of course I didn't check before leaving the dealership, it showed full bars when I checked the next day, they did the same thing last time. But my invoice says they charged me for 10 quarts. Just read manual, w/o filter it calls for 7 qts with new filter 7.75 qts. First off, do 911's take more oil than Caymans? and do the sevice guys just assume all P-Cars take the same? or is this the dealer's way of trying to milk a couple bucks.

Now the question, what if they did put in 10 qts??? damage? can it sit all winter like that with the occasional start to bring it up to temp? thanks.....

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
Just got mine changed last week in anticipation of its hibernation and of course I didn't check before leaving the dealership, it showed full bars when I checked the next day, they did the same thing last time. But my invoice says they charged me for 10 quarts. Just read manual, w/o filter it calls for 7 qts with new filter 7.75 qts. First off, do 911's take more oil than Caymans? and do the sevice guys just assume all P-Cars take the same? or is this the dealer's way of trying to milk a couple bucks.

Now the question, what if they did put in 10 qts??? damage? can it sit all winter like that with the occasional start to bring it up to temp? thanks.....
The '06-'08 CS engine oil capacity is 7.75 liters, not quarts. That's 2.05 gallons, or slightly over 8 quarts. If they said they put in 10 quarts I'd have them drain out the excess.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts

Either they were lazy and did not check the specs or they wanted to ding you. I would go back and have them drain and give you back the money for the extra quarts they charged you. They are called stealerships for a good reason.

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
That's 7.75 liters with filter or 8.2 quarts. Anyway you look at it 10 qts is a bit much, unless as someone pointed out recently you have the deep sump mod which adds another quart or so.

I don't really know this internal 'dry' sump is set up. Typically too much oil in a tank will result in oil being pushed through the tank vent. Depending on where this vents to it might not be good. I know the AOS vents to the intake so too much oil in the tank could wind up there. Either from an overfilled tank dumping extra oil into the separator or interfering with the separators proper function. Probably not the best thing either way.

If it's just showing full instead of over I'd suspect the dealer just milked you for a few extra bucks for a quart or two.

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
The '06-'08 CS engine oil capacity is 7.75 liters, not quarts. That's 2.05 gallons, or slightly over 8 quarts. If they said they put in 10 quarts I'd have them drain out the excess.
The invoice doesn't specify the unit. The dealership gave me a quart just to top it up incase I needed to in the first 1000 miles of driving. So I am assuming the measurement is quarts not litres, it was done by a U.S dealership. So if i was invoiced for 10 units, is it safe to assume they put in 10 quarts? Do you think I should wait untill spring, or call the dealership now?

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Same situation happened to me last Spring. Oil change then voila, indicator max'd out. Same reaction from dealer (Paull Miller Porsche NJ) that they know exactly how much to fill. I explained my concern especially given a DE event lined up at Lime Rock, but they insisted the car would be fine and made a notation in my service file. Anything smoke or oil up the air filter, they would be liable to clean up. In the end, they were right. Car was fine and perhaps being full also helps avoid another situation of oil starvation in our unique Croc engines. See posts.

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
The invoice doesn't specify the unit. The dealership gave me a quart just to top it up incase I needed to in the first 1000 miles of driving. So I am assuming the measurement is quarts not litres, it was done by a U.S dealership. So if i was invoiced for 10 units, is it safe to assume they put in 10 quarts? Do you think I should wait untill spring, or call the dealership now?
If they gave you an extra quart, that means there's no more than 9 quarts in the sump, which is no big deal, so I would wait until Spring before taking any action, if at all.

·
Registered
983 Posts
That's what I thought. But I actually saw the tech check the gauge and I remember that it was all the way full. I should be able to trust the tech and the service manager right? ;)
My dealer filled the oil with all the bars full and above the line. I questioned this and they said it is OK? The invoice said 9 quarts.

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
Code:
If they gave you an extra quart, that means there's no more than 9 quarts in the sump, which is no big deal, so I would wait until Spring before taking any action, if at all.
Sorry to confuse. I think you may have thought it was changed in Canada where I'll assume the Mobil 1 oil units are in litres. The quart mentioned above was from the dealership where I bought the car originally from in North Carolina, they gave it to me in case I needed to top it up on the 700 mile drive home. I just went and looked at the measurement of the U.S. Mobil 1 oil, versus I'm assuming, what would be measured in litres at a Canadian dealership.

So, my oil was done in Buffalo Friday the 13th, charged for 10 units Mobil 1 oil @ $7.95per for a grand total of $79.50, and since checking it at home it's been full, as in all bars full ever since the change. At 10 quarts it's overfilled by 1.75 litres....too much? thanks......

1 - 20 of 30 Posts