Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

New to Planet-9 Forum... and to Porsches. Long time car guy, had most of the Germans, but never a Porsche. Looking to buy my first. Contemplating a 981 Cayman S or Cayman GTS. GTS is about $14k more than the S. Both cars equipped the same (except GTS has base stereo/no NAV vs. BOSE+NAV+backup camera on the S). GTS also lacks the 14-way seats. Which way should I go? Also - any comments on what to do about the stock audio system in the GTS? I don't want to mess with the vehicle electronics (e.g interface between the audio/head unit/computer), but that thing is a POS.

Cheers,
Dennis (L76)

·
Registered
346 Posts
Do they both have the same mileage? If so, go with the S. I don’t think 14k is worth the premium for the gts badge. Unless you really like alcantara interior.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
+1. GTS is an options package with a few extra HP. If you don't care about the options, or if the ones you do care about are on the S, no brainer. Between the 14 way, the Nav and the Bose, you have made up half of that 14K

Reactions: RickH

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thx guys. GTS has full leather. The S has PASM, PDK, Sport Chrono, etc. as optioned on GTS. So... to your points... only advantage in GTS appears to be the exhaust system and 15 hp. Any thoughts on what to do about the audio system? Will replacing the stock head unit with aftermarket affect anything?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Check some threads on how to get better sound. From what I have read replacing tweeters, disconnect the Sub(I haven’t figured out how to do yet), and set to linear versus surround.
PSE with PDK is not a great combination at around 2200-2300 rpm at highway speeds to much drone.
I went with an S over the GTS couldn’t justify the price difference and ventilated seats was a must have for me which are hard to find on a GTS.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Agree with all of the above. I would go with the S. Consider adding a COBB access port to address the HP difference.

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Thx guys. GTS has full leather. The S has PASM, PDK, Sport Chrono, etc. as optioned on GTS. So... to your points... only advantage in GTS appears to be the exhaust system and 15 hp. Any thoughts on what to do about the audio system? Will replacing the stock head unit with aftermarket affect anything?
I have a GTS so take this with the grain of salt. The GTS does have some other touches that are not normal for a "S trim" Cayman... namely Dynamic Light's, third (center) radiator, and the Sport Exhaust is awesome. And I love the Alacantra -- though rather a leather wrapped steering wheel.
The extra HP is there, but frankly, I'm not sure you could really tell the difference (heck, I have a difficult time keeping up with my buddy's 2010 S....

The S you are looking at does seem well appointed --- NAV is a big plus as is back up camera. The 14 way seats are overpriced IMO. The $14K difference is interesting since the 14 way seat and NAV almost bridge the sticker prices. I'm thinking that the GTS is at a bit of a premium.
Both options look very attractive --- but I am assuming that both cars are on a lot/available so, your decision may be driven by the car colors, as colors do help define the character of the car (OK, I say that since mine is Racing Yellow!).
whatever you do, don't second guess... you'll love the car you choose -- period!

·
Registered
832 Posts
All other things being equal, the gold standard is that you buy the best of anything that you can afford. But all other things are not equal. Bose, Nav, backup camera, PASM and Sport Chrono are at the top of my list for wanted options. What's at the top of yours?

·
Registered
49 Posts
The logical choice, and better value, is probably to go with the S as others have commented.

I also have an S and added PSE, headers and a protune after 12 months of ownership. Before I did the mods I seriously considered trading in my pre-owned S for a used GTS. I’m glad that I didn’t, but that was my decision. I think the GTS looks perfect, a little bit more aggressive-looking than the S with the LED’s, different spoilers and tinted taillights. I live in a big city and Caymans are rarely seen. The GTS even rarer to see (prob rarer than a 458 based on my experience). I’ve seen 3 in Houston over the past two years and I can recall each time. You did not mention exterior color, wheels (and whether they are painted, PTV (can’t recall if this is standard on the GTS), GTS badging on doors, GTS exterior package, sport seats + vs. sport seats on S etc. All things that may further set it apart from the S in some way. It does have PSE (which is a must have IMO) and either PASM or X73.

If you did go with the GTS, the lack of NAV, Bose and 14-ways are definitely personal preference items that I could live without if I had to. We pay a ridiculous amount of money to get NAV on our cars when we all have Google maps with NAV on our phones. Caymans are not conducive to conducting “critical listening” sessions while the car is turned on. I have Bose but I keep the volume low or turned off altogether. My windows are typically cracked also to get the full sonic assault. Adjusting the seat height manually may be a bit old-school but if you are the primary driver just set it once and done. You can’t go wrong either way, but just wanted to highlight my thoughts on the topic for you.

Good luck.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Frankly, I have had a GTS, but the value of the GTS is only realized New v. New. The standard things on GTS cost you as options on a new S. Once you move into the used market, the value vs.cost difference value between the two narrows. Certainly, the HP difference is not worth a nickel extra.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Guys,

Update - we bought the GTS.... not looking back. Ecstatic! In the end, the S car had been tracked hard... had a lot of road rash... and some hard miles. The GTS had 8K miles, and as we looked further... we really didn't value the seats and Nav in the S... but did like the upgraded full leather interior in the GTS. Red/Beige. Also negotiated the dealer down a little bit... got the GTS CPO through 2020... so happy all around. Now... off to upgrades/mods! Anyone have experience with clear bra on their car? If so, are you happy with the results? Who did you go with? Cost? Panels covered?

Cheers,
L76

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hi Guys,

Update - we bought the GTS.... not looking back. Ecstatic! In the end, the S car had been tracked hard... had a lot of road rash... and some hard miles. The GTS had 8K miles, and as we looked further... we really didn't value the seats and Nav in the S... but did like the upgraded full leather interior in the GTS. Red/Beige. Also negotiated the dealer down a little bit... got the GTS CPO through 2020... so happy all around. Now... off to upgrades/mods! Anyone have experience with clear bra on their car? If so, are you happy with the results? Who did you go with? Cost? Panels covered?

Cheers,
L76
Great choice, you will not have any regrets. I got lucky and found a 2016 CGTS with full leather, heated and ventilated seats, dual AC, 18 way seats, manual trans, PASM (I prefer), Nav, and Burmester. These cars just look better than the S and should not depreciate as fast as an S.

My car had 7300 miles on it. As soon as I bought my car, I had it color corrected, clear bra on most of the car, then Cquartz Finest applied. Looks new now. Expensive but I feel worth it.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Wow. That is an awesome spec. I’m impressed that you found a previously owned Porsche, Cayman or Boxster, that has a Burmester audio system. Those seem pretty rare indeed. In fact I’ve never seen a 718 new or used with a Burmester audio.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
161 Posts
Wow. That is an awesome spec. I’m impressed that you found a previously owned Porsche, Cayman or Boxster, that has a Burmester audio system. Those seem pretty rare indeed. In fact I’ve never seen a 718 new or used with a Burmester audio.
[7/QUOTE]

Thx, I wasn't looking for one with a Burmester because I knew it would be tough. The other options were more important to me, but was ecstatic that it had it. Of course, I did not want the Porsche sales guy to see that when we were negotiating a price lol.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The engine is so close, and so noisy, (in a good way) I struggle to see the point of an expensive sound system. Just drop a gear and smile :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts