Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have been visiting this forum every day for almost a year. My current car is a 2003 Mini Cooper (non S) that I purchased new during residency. Love my Mini but it is time to get something new.

I looked at the Audi TTS (patriotic buy since those are assembled in Hungary where I am from), BMW E92 335 (HPFP failures made me a bit cautious) and M3. I drove the M3 several times, loved the looks, the V8 and the luxurious interior, but did not want to pay GGT and put up with 15 MPG. The colors were also fairly limited. I was hoping that Estoril, Monte Carlo Blue or Laguna Seca would be 2010 colors, but no.

Anyway, the Cayman S PDK was always high on my list and after spending countless hours on this forum and on the configurator I decided to take a test drive. I had to drive 340 miles to Roswell, GA to Hennessy Porsche for a test. I was not disappointed! The Cayman is so nimble, the steering feel is perfect, the PDK is fantastic and the engine sounds terrific. Long story short, I ended up ordering a Cayman S PDK last Thursday. Porsche locked the order the next day (PLPROD). My estimated completion date is 3/16!

Here are the specs:
Meteor grey, Black full leather, 19' Carrera S II wheels, Electric seats with heating and ventilation, Porsche crest in headrest, PDK, PCM, XM radio, UAI, Bluetooth, Bixenon lights, Auto AC.

No SC or LSD. I can certainly get enough trouble without those and I do not plan on tracking my car.

With a little bit of luck, I will be driving the car in April!

Tamas

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
You must get the SC+ with PDK! IMHO a major mistake to not order this feature.
SC takes the PDK to a whole new level. Phone your dealer now!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Croctor is right. The normal auto-shifting on the PDK sort-of sucks. I run mine in manual a lot because of that. The SC feature allows a sports shifting mode which you'll like a lot more than the standard shifting which up shifts way too quickly and down shifts too slowly. Also, the LSD is not only for track, but will make your Cayman a lot more traction smart on wet or uneven city streets. Your choice, but I'd drop some other features in favor of SC and LSD if I was configuring this baby. BTW, those pretty 19" wheels will ride a bit hard. Good luck.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Do not, I repeat, DO NOT skip the sport chrono feature. Every Porsche "S" model with a PDK should come standard with this, in my opinion. It really gives the car a different feel when your in the mood for various driving styles.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have to agree with the other posters: Sport Chrono unlocks so much more of what PDK is capable of that I think it would be a mistake to skip it. Sport Chrono also has some nice benefits on its own, but PDK is almost hobbled without it.

But setting that aside, congratulations! Based on what you're looking for, I think you'll be very pleased indeed with your choice.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
One saving alternative to Porsche's SC, if you wait a bit Evolution Motorsports told me that they are working on a PDK and Tiptronic upgrade flash for the transmission ECU in Caymans and other Porsche models. The cost will be about $1K and will give you all the PDK shift option modes you would want. The SC option does have some other tuning tricks, but the shifting protocol changes are the most dramatic.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
One saving alternative to Porsche's SC, if you wait a bit Evolution Motorsports told me that they are working on a PDK and Tiptronic upgrade flash for the transmission ECU in Caymans and other Porsche models. The cost will be about $1K and will give you all the PDK shift option modes you would want. The SC option does have some other tuning tricks, but the shifting protocol changes are the most dramatic.
This will likely void your warranty. I would just order the SC+.;)

·
Registered
434 Posts
Congratulations Tamas!
I'm amazed that you ordered last Thursday and got a 3/16 completion date! I ordered mine the first of November and have a 3/4 BUILD date.
I also considered he TTS and BMW 135i but I like Porsches.
Did the car you test drove have SC ?
I joined this forum two years ago and still don't have a Cayman!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry for not responding earlier, just finished watching Top Gear.

Thanks for the opinions! I was tempted to order SC after watching the Motor Trend episode where Randy Pobst was driving the Cayman in D with the SC+ on and he said that it was perfect. I noticed on the test drive that the PDK likes to upshift very early, say 1500 rpm, however I just put the lever in M and shifted myself.

I think that the beauty of configuring a Porsche is that you will end up with the exact options that you want. I have read all threads known to mankind about SC and it was a conscious decision not to get it. My car is geared a bit more towards luxury than sport, it will still have 2 more gears, over 200 more HP and Nm than my current Mini.

Tamas

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Congratulations Tamas!
I'm amazed that you ordered last Thursday and got a 3/16 completion date! I ordered mine the first of November and have a 3/4 BUILD date.
I also considered he TTS and BMW 135i but I like Porsches.
Did the car you test drove have SC ?
I joined this forum two years ago and still don't have a Cayman!
Kirkemon,

I got very lucky with my production slot. Initially, I was told that if I order now than I will be looking at taking delivery in July-September. I made it very clear that I will have to have the car by May and the dealer had that unfilled slot so we went for it. Had I waited a day longer, I would not have been able to configure the car to my liking. Porsche may have put SC on it as an option;) or LSD.

The 135i was too small from the inside and way too pricey compared to what it has to offer and the local Audi dealer did not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling, so I chose the Cayman.

The car that I drove did not have SC.

Tamas

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
I have read all threads known to mankind about SC and it was a conscious decision not to get it. My car is geared a bit more towards luxury than sport, it will still have 2 more gears, over 200 more HP and Nm than my current Mini.
Tamas
I'm a little confused as why you didn't opt for PASM with 19' Carrera S II wheels?. Your luxury may soon turn into a sore butt. I'm rolling on 18" without PASM & it's a little bumpy at times (but I wasn't after luxury) SC isn't just about the track, I have it switch on via Softronic and driveability around town is vastly improved...anyhow you may want to consider PASM.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Don't skip the Chrono if you intend to sell the car on later, for me it is not about the gearing, its all about the throttle remap without voiding the official warranty.

I would not buy a current or future PDK car without it, you might want to consider that if you intend to move the car on later ;)

·
Cayman Register Advocate
7,305 Posts
Long story short, I ended up ordering a Cayman S PDK last Thursday. Porsche locked the order the next day (PLPROD). My estimated completion date is 3/16!
Hey, Congratulations and welcome to the family. You have a lot of enjoyment ahead of you, more than I think you know.

I highly recommend that you join the Porsche Club of America to get the most out of your new Cayman. They offer reasonably priced track exposure that will really help you experience what your new Cayman can really do. There are also fun coffee runs, rallies, monthly meetings, autocross, concours, special events, you name it. If you've ordered your car, you're elligible to be a member.
:cheers:

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
Congrats on the order. Now comes the hard part.... the wait.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Congratulations! As mentioned above, now comes the wait. I have been waiting for my CS since before Thanks Giving. It is currently in production and I have not received a completion date yet. Hopefully soon.

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,755 Posts
I'm a little confused as why you didn't opt for PASM with 19' Carrera S II wheels?. Your luxury may soon turn into a sore butt. I'm rolling on 18" without PASM & it's a little bumpy at times (but I wasn't after luxury) SC isn't just about the track, I have it switch on via Softronic and driveability around town is vastly improved...anyhow you may want to consider PASM.
Heres a news flash for you... PASM in off mode is the same as I can tell compared to a stock car(06) with no PASM (with 18'' in both cases).
Now with PASM on you car turns into a Kidney shaker! Kinda like a GT3. But oh can it hug those corners, and with LSD, its nuts gripping out of a corner. :dance:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I agree, PDK without SC literally sucks, not only sort-of ;). SC should come as standard at least in S models, however, I don't wonder why it doesn't since Porsche is famous for charging for extras...

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I think that the beauty of configuring a Porsche is that you will end up with the exact options that you want. I have read all threads known to mankind about SC and it was a conscious decision not to get it. My car is geared a bit more towards luxury than sport, it will still have 2 more gears, over 200 more HP and Nm than my current Mini.
In a non-pejorative spirit I want to emphasize that I still believe this is a mistake unless you plan on driving in manual mode at all times or will chip car in future. I believe most on this forum agree that SC is essential with the PDK, and it increases the fun exponentially. So for your long-term enjoyment I sincerely hope you change you mind. Regardless,best wishes and enjoy.:cheers:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts