Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been driving Porsche 911's for a number of decades, along with a couple of year fling with R8 V10's. The other day I drove a Cayman GTS with sport suspension and 6MT and the result was...g'bye to my current Porsche, a 991 Turbo S. Traded it in on the Cayman.

I was completely blown away by the Cayman for all the reasons others have posted and discussed - the handling, the agility, the feeling of the car wrapping around me and the intoxicating wail. It is more like the earlier 911's that I owned. The Turbo S is a great car, but I didn't love it. Part of the reason is I am an old diehard and just don't like PDK or Audi S-tronic type trans in a sports car. The 6 MT feels just so right with the lighter mid engine chassis of the Cayman (not wanting to start an argument that has no "correct" answer - just a personal choice.)

It seems to me that the Cayman embodies much of what I liked in the R8 except the Cayman is lighter on its feet than the Audi and far more willing to turn-in. The Turbo S is an amazing sport/luxury GT car with supercar acceleration and grip. Pretty useless here on the roads of NJ and though Porsche improved the sounds of the turbo, they are still pretty uninspiring. Just couldn't justify driving a $192K car that didn't make me smile like the Cayman GTS does for half the price.

Thought about the 991 GT3, but would never be able to use it the way it is intended and besides after owning the R8, I've grown pretty tired of being being photographed or video'd by kids in subies and hondas.

Anyway, look forward to joining this community.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I'm doing almost the exact opposite. Just sold my 2013 Boxster S and am awaiting delivery of a 2015 991 Turbo Coupe. I agree with your sentiments about the GT3. My preferred dealership offered me an allocation with a small discount and I declined. I'm more interested in higher torque and more of a GT bias to the chassis setup. All wheel drive is important to me as well. Isn't it great how Porsche has some thing for just about any desire? The only thing they are lacking is a Targa Turbo! Congrats on the Cayman. I sure hope I don't end up missing my Boxster too much...

- Patrick

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Congrats! Personally, I can definitely see owning a Turbo someday, but I won't get rid of the Boxster if/when that happens. They are pretty much orthogonal.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
Thought about the 991 GT3, but would never be able to use it the way it is intended and besides after owning the R8, I've grown pretty tired of being being photographed or video'd by kids in subies and hondas.

Anyway, look forward to joining this community.
Welcome aboard! all awesome cars that you have owned. ...but the video and pictures don't stop stepping into a 981. Maybe its because I own a red Boxster in Delaware.....?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I sure hope I don't end up missing my Boxster too much...

- Patrick
The power of the turbo is intoxicating and you'll certainly enjoy it where you live, which is alot less congested than here in NJ! But then there will be those perfect days and nights when you might miss the roadster. Two car garage is the answer :).

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
. ...but the video and pictures don't stop stepping into a 981.
Really. Nobody gives my turbo a second look, whereas when I was in the sepang blue R8, I might have well been on a parade float. I think "Ironman" really propelled the R8 into young peoples' psyche.

·
4,105 Posts
Really. Nobody gives my turbo a second look, whereas when I was in the sepang blue R8, I might have well been on a parade float. I think "Ironman" really propelled the R8 into young peoples' psyche.
They don't give your turbo a second look because everyone thinks it's a regular 911. A dime a dozen. (metaphorically speaking). It also doesn't look as good as a 981 BS anyway (IMHO and respectful opinion - ...and I am getting a 911 someday too) :) The below picture is the typical response I get every time I drive it. Every time. They think it is a Ferrari because it is red or something.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
I was completely blown away by the Cayman for all the reasons others have posted and discussed ... and the intoxicating wail...
If you are following the recommended break in period, then I don't see how you can be hearing an intoxicating wail. The GTS is just starting to sound good when I have to shift at 4000 RPM. It is killing me, I don't think I can last much longer...

·
Registered
183 Posts
The other day I drove a Cayman GTS with sport suspension and 6MT and the result was...g'bye to my current Porsche, a 991 Turbo S. Traded it in on the Cayman... It is more like the earlier 911's that I owned. The Turbo S is a great car, but I didn't love it. Part of the reason is I am an old diehard and just don't like PDK or Audi S-tronic type trans in a sports car. The 6 MT feels just so right with the lighter mid engine chassis of the Cayman... Just couldn't justify driving a $192K car that didn't make me smile like the Cayman GTS does for half the price.
Hats off for following your heart, and here's hoping there are more like you out there voting with their wallets.

I feel Porsche has made a mistake (for the US market at least) by focusing on capability over involvement. Move up Porsche's price curve and you find ever more capable cars: faster, gripper, "better". And that likely makes sense in a country with an autobahn. But at US road speeds these same cars get progressively less involving: heavier and more GT like.

Where once Porsche's most involving sports cars existed beside their GT cars (550 Spyder vs 356, 80s 911 vs 928, 964 Carrera RS vs 928 GT) today they exist below them (Cayman at half the power of a Turbo S). And it doesn't need to be this way: if a Turbo S is a car for the Autobahn, a no holds barred Cayman or a manual GT3 RS could be a car for Skyline Boulevard and the autocross.

Porsche seems to feel there isn't a business case for those cars, that capability is enough. It's nice to see some evidence that at least some of their others customers seem to disagree and are putting their money where there mouth is...

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Just like Patrick, I'm switching from a 987 to a 991 turbo.

There's no question the 981 is stunning and has unique handling. And I'll sure miss much of the aspects of a mid engine car... Having it with a turbo in your garage is something but flipping from a turbo S to a 981 is blasphemy!!! :(

And I thought I'm the craziest member on Planet 9 !!!! :cheers:

If I were you, I'd have waited for the GT4 instead... But if that makes you happy, enjoy it.

In & out pictures please of both the turbo S and 981.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
But at US road speeds these same cars get progressively less involving: heavier and more GT like.
So correct.

With respect to feeling like an agile sportscar, the 991 Turbo S is a great improvement over my previous 997 turbo. This is largely due to the rear wheel steering, which makes the car "feel" more like it's carving up a corner. And for the same reason, the 991 turbo is more agile feeling than the R8 V10. But I find that a vehicle with supercar capabilities driven 4/10ths on public roads is typically less involving, and I tend to grow bored more quickly. I briefly flirted with the idea of a 458, but after getting rear-ended in my R8 (by a 60 year old texting), the idea of a $300K car on some of the most congested roads in the U.S. just seemed pretty illogical

The 981 CGTS I test drove appears to be a better definition of "fun" for me, on the roads where I live.

Porsche is one of those few brands where the definition of "moving up" or "moving down" the product line is a bit blurred.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And I thought I'm the craziest member on Planet 9 !!!! :cheers:
Nah, none of the caregivers here at the insane asylum think you're the craziest member on Planet 9. :crazy: They just hope I don't drool on the leather seats. :taunt:

I'm picking up the 981 on Wednesday - will post pictures of the turbo S and the 981 then.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you are following the recommended break in period, then I don't see how you can be hearing an intoxicating wail. The GTS is just starting to sound good when I have to shift at 4000 RPM. It is killing me, I don't think I can last much longer...
I drove the dealership's test driver and may have gone above 4000 RPM. ;) Does the 981 have the same (dumb) break-in period as the turbo, i.e., 2000 miles?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
They don't give your turbo a second look because everyone thinks it's a regular 911. A dime a dozen. (metaphorically speaking). It also doesn't look as good as a 981 BS anyway (IMHO and respectful opinion - ...and I am getting a 911 someday too) :) The below picture is the typical response I get every time I drive it. Every time. They think it is a Ferrari because it is red or something.
Awesome photo. Slightly off topic but is that Newark? The building seems so familiar but UD was more than a decade ago :)

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I drove the dealership's test driver and may have gone above 4000 RPM. ;) Does the 981 have the same (dumb) break-in period as the turbo, i.e., 2000 miles?
Oh boy. If you didn't want to start a "discussion" about PDK vs 6MT but ended up asking Peter Griffin what the word is...

Ahem. Search the forum IMO. Way too many posts on that topic.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Good for you for following your heart. I'm sure the turbo S is an incredibly quick and capable car, but if you can't get anywhere near exploiting its performance you have to ask what's the point. To a lesser extent, prior to purchasing my 987 CS, I drove a 997 Carrera S and actually prefered the Cayman. A number of my friends when informed of this, said but its not a 911 why didn't you get one of them. I guess they just don't get it.

·
4,105 Posts
Awesome photo. Slightly off topic but is that Newark? The building seems so familiar but UD was more than a decade ago :)

This is nothern Wilmington right off 202. Outside of a "Five Guys" burger joint.

Reactions: Caymeown
1 - 20 of 29 Posts