Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After many BMW's (all M cars) I've decided to purchase a Porsche and figured the best option would be to custom order one. I'm considering the Cayman S, sport chrono option, rear and front sensors, Bose speakers, manual transmission, white on basic black interior. I was considering the sports exhaust but don't know if its worth the money, anyone here have recommendations on the PSE? I visited a local dealership yesterday to try and see and hear one for myself but thethe cayman s with sports exhaust and sport chrono doesn't seem to exist in southern California, instead all you find are base caymans loaded with useless options exceeding $81k..... Also, what does partial leather interior look like, is it half leather with cloth inserts? Lastly, does the stock car offer Bluetooth music streaming or does that require a special tech option? I was told yesterday that if I don't place my order soon that my car would become a 2016 model, I'm not in a rush so would it be best to wait and get the "newer" model, any significant changes to come? Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
You'll get lots of opinions. I can't speak to the PSE, but see my profile for my choices. Only things I might change would be more leather, maybe sport suspension, maybe PSE. I love every option I got, even though they added so many $.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
You'll find most people here like the sport exhaust, PSE. It burbles and crackles on over-run, and is quite distinctive. I suggest you try and drive a car with PSE before deciding if it's something you like and its worth the money TO YOU. Personally, I think it sounds awful. :naughty:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been trying to locate one to test drive with the pse but no luck yet. I've read that the stock exhaust sounds completely different from the PSE exhaust even when turned off, this is the main reason why I wanted to hear people's opinions on it.

·
Registered
534 Posts
My opinion is that if you ever think you might want an aftermarket exhaust system, just go ahead and get the Sports Exhaust from the factory. From all of the videos I have heard, this is one of the best (if not THE best) sounding exhaust systems anywhere for this car. The fact that you can get it installed from the factory, with a complete warranty, and be able to turn off the extra noise with literally the push of a button is all just icing on the cake. It's one less modification to do and one less aftermarket part to have to worry about.

One of the things I LOVE about this car is that you can get nearly all of the "cool stuff" straight from the factory.

You've got the big brakes, gorgeous wheels, aggressive suspension, loud exhaust, and sports seats. For me there is almost nothing left to do to the car and I love that. There is a lot that can go wrong with the aftermarket parts and I welcome the opportunity to get the parts I want straight from the factory.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Glad you finally came to your senses and decided to buy a real German car;) On the 981 you get an AUX input for music... blue tooth is an upgrade. PSE is awesome IMO. You can have PSE added later by a dealer for about the same price. You should spend some time on the Cs configuration page on the Porsche website. A lot of your question can be self-fulfilled there. IMHO you need a long Q&A with a sales person.... Sounds like they wanted your money( order now or it will be a 16 ) before you even knew what you the heck the Cs was all about? That is bad on their part. I would maybe look to another dealer.

·
Registered
751 Posts
The downside to PSE is that it's relatively expensive and doesn't give any HP, just sound. With that said, it does sound good. If you plan on getting Sport Chrono, PSE, more leather, and potentially PASM or x73 then you should consider the GTS.

Reactions: Jeff78

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Glad you finally came to your senses and decided to buy a real German car
On the 981 you get an AUX input for music... blue tooth is an upgrade. PSE is awesome IMO. You can have PSE added later by a dealer for about the same price. You should spend some time on the Cs configuration page on the Porsche website. A lot of your question can be self-fulfilled there. IMHO you need a long Q&A with a sales person.... Sounds like they wanted your money( order now or it will be a 16 ) before you even knew what you the heck the Cs was all about? That is bad on their part. I would maybe look to another dealer.

Thanks for the info, I've been on the configurator for 2 days straight now but I can't seem to find the option that allows Bluetooth music streaming, I figured it was standard or at least that's what the sales rep said . I was originally going to get the new M4 but decided I want something new and different so I'm a bit new to the Porsche options and accessories. When you guys say more leather, are you referring to the leather extending to the dash and door panels?

·
Registered
794 Posts
Bose has bluetooth streaming. The stock radio does not. So, you're good to go on that if you're going with Bose.

I completely disagree with deepblue: if you want an exhaust, go aftermarket. Better sound and more horsepower -- as opposed to PSE which adds complications (the valving and such) without any increase in power. Personally, I would get cargraphics headers and maybe a cargraphics exhaust. But, to each their own......

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here is the latest build I worked on, i'm not sure if this is the same Bose option that you are referring to though.....

http://www.porsche-code.com/PGV4WMT5

·
Registered
878 Posts
Nice build....

Sport Chrono provides rev matching for the manual and some transmission mounts. The sport seats are an excellent choice. I looked into the selection of the Bose system on Porsche's site and I understand your confusion. It is NOT clear that checking the box for Bose as a standalone option brings Bluetooth streaming (it clearly does come with the CDR Plus System). I will defer to others on this topic but I would definitely go over this is detail with an SA as this minimalist approach is not a typical buy in a Cayman S. After looking at the web site (and observing the relative option costs), I am suspicious it does not come with the standalone Bose selection.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Here is the latest build I worked on, i'm not sure if this is the same Bose option that you are referring to though.....

http://www.porsche-code.com/PGV4WMT5
Sorry, I mis"spoke" (miswrote?). It is CDR-plus that you need, not Bose. Bose, as you implied correctly, is the speakers and amp. CDR+ is what you want for streaming. Again, sorry to mislead you.

As to SC, there is a strong contingent of folks here who see its benefits mostly on PDK equipped cars. I am one of those. While I don't want to restart the debate, just know that there are those who see it as not much more than a gimmick for Porsche to take more of your money. I'm sure if you do a search you can read the debates.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone, this was very helpful. I'm going to visit another dealership today and see what kind of deal I can get, I appreciate everyone's help.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
OP, out of curiosity, may I ask why you're not considering a Cayman GTS or GT4?

After seeing the Carrera GTS and Cayman GTS, I'd choose them over their S models. A GT4 could be the choice for track guys if you're into so.

Nevertheless, best of luck with your hunt... It's a wonderful experience till the waiting starts for delivery.

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
Yes, Porsche is famous for insanely priced options that are now standard on $20k Kias and Civics... But they can get away with it because cars are simply the best you can get this side of exotics

The base audio does not include BT streaming. It has handsfree phone , but no music streaming. So you can spend another $1700 or whatever it is now on very questionable Bose upgrade, or you can just get aftermarket BT for $50-$200. There is AUX and power in the glovebox, so adding aftermarket BT is super easy. See more in this thread:
http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-...-base-audio-40-a.html?highlight=40+blue+tooth

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OP, out of curiosity, may I ask why you're not considering a Cayman GTS or GT4?

After seeing the Carrera GTS and Cayman GTS, I'd choose them over their S models. A GT4 could be the choice for track guys if you're into so.

Nevertheless, best of luck with your hunt... It's a wonderful experience till the waiting starts for delivery.
To be completely honest, I'm purchasing with a predetermined budget and I'm right about there with my current build. I had the original idea of leasing which I thought would be similar to BMW's but when I saw the residuals I realized it would make more sense to buy and stick to my budget.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, Porsche is famous for insanely priced options that are now standard on $20k Kias and Civics... But they can get away with it because cars are simply the best you can get this side of exotics

The base audio does not include BT streaming. It has handsfree phone , but no music streaming. So you can spend another $1700 or whatever it is now on very questionable Bose upgrade, or you can just get aftermarket BT for $50-$200. There is AUX and power in the glovebox, so adding aftermarket BT is super easy. See more in this thread:
http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-...-base-audio-40-a.html?highlight=40+blue+tooth
This is exactly what I need! Thank you!!

·
Registered
794 Posts
Thanks everyone, this was very helpful. I'm going to visit another dealership today and see what kind of deal I can get, I appreciate everyone's help.
If you're on a budget, I'd definitely consider nixing the SC, but that's me.

Regardless, depending on where you live in California, a bit of a travel will yield big discounts. In NorCal, Sonnen has the best prices (up to 8% off MSRP) and with some searching of this forum you can find SoCal dealer that will give 9% off.

Happy hunting.

·
Premium Member
3,492 Posts
After many BMW's (all M cars) I've decided to purchase a Porsche and figured the best option would be to custom order one. I'm considering the Cayman S, sport chrono option, rear and front sensors, Bose speakers, manual transmission, white on basic black interior. I was considering the sports exhaust but don't know if its worth the money, anyone here have recommendations on the PSE? I visited a local dealership yesterday to try and see and hear one for myself but thethe cayman s with sports exhaust and sport chrono doesn't seem to exist in southern California, instead all you find are base caymans loaded with useless options exceeding $81k..... Also, what does partial leather interior look like, is it half leather with cloth inserts? Lastly, does the stock car offer Bluetooth music streaming or does that require a special tech option? I was told yesterday that if I don't place my order soon that my car would become a 2016 model, I'm not in a rush so would it be best to wait and get the "newer" model, any significant changes to come? Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.
TCC:

I went from M3's, two of em, to an '06 CaymanS. The Cayman is massively better to drive and own. They are also built beautifully and made to last. I have 6 Chicago winters on mine and it's still not near showing any sort of corrosion underneath. I cannot say that for my E36 M3. I tried one winter with that car and then no more.

Yes, the Porsche option system is strange, but it allows people to buy to their own price point and still get a very high quality machine.

I wouldn't buy Sport Exhaust if you're on a budget. It's the priciest exhaust you could possibly buy. It's also loud in sport mode. I bought a SpeedART TUV approved cat-back for my early car. I got more performance and a sound level that's really great. Driving around town, it's just deeper, not noisy. Get the revs up and it's a lot more fun that stock. It saved weight too. The PSE is really heavy. ....So, bang for buck, save some money there. Add an exhaust later on if you have a few extra bucks.

If you're getting black interior, I'd go without full leather. The standard interior is really nice. All good quality stuff and probably will wear better than the full leather. Another reason is that replacement pieces are cheaper and easier to get if you damage something.

I would recommend Sport + seats with the 2 way power option, not the 18 way. This is a relatively inexpensive option ($800?). These cars are all about spirited cornering and you will be glad you have the extra bolstering. Additionally, the manual sliders work very slick. You can slide the seat all the way back to get in and out and quickly put the seat in position with manual seats. With power, you have to wait on the motors. The last reason is weight. The manual seats are considerably lighter than power seats.

I find that having GPS in a Cayman is really great. You'll find yourself taking road trips in this car. "His and hers trunks" and just a great demeanor on the road plus the bonus of crazy fine handling when you get to the hilly parts. Great ride for two people. I'd get the PCM with Bose package. It sounds great in the 981 and the nav is really great. I picked my used Cayman up in GA and drove home to Chicago. I brought a Garmin with me and used it on the way home. Sticking it on the windshield and removing it when you leave the car while touring is a PITA. When I figured out the factory Nav, it was great. I use it around town to remind me where the exit is and to find addresses... The 987 Bose had some issues, but the 981 Bose really sounds good...and PCM will let you bluetooth OR just plug in an old iPod or iPhone and leave it there. That's what I do. You can take an iPhone, disable the phone part and just use the music....leave it in the car. Very easy. My setup doesn't do streaming. I kinda like the pre-historic nature of my car. I still get all the things I want, just have to work a little to make them happen.

Good luck with your purchase. You'll love this car.

BTW....Basic cars in white are pretty common at dealers so you may be able to find one without ordering. Unfortunately, most have PDK.

:cheers:

Reactions: speeddeacon
1 - 20 of 37 Posts