Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there!

I am looking to join your ranks via a cayman purchase. :) I have found a '07 base model with about 38k miles and they're asking 34k for it.

Few things about it:
1) black on black
2) manual
3) two sets of wheels/tires 17's and 19's.

Thing is the carfax has me scratching my head:

03/25/2009 36,838
Parktown Imports
Saint Louis, MO
314-965-7711
Vehicle offered for sale

04/20/2009 37,546 Auto Auction Sold at auction
in Missouri
Listed as
a dealer vehicle

CARFAX Xpert
Dealers routinely buy and sell millions of used vehicles at auction each year.

04/28/2009 Iowa
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Urbandale, IA
Title #77AG31328 Title or registration issued
Dealer took title of this vehicle
while it was in inventory

Vehicle color noted as Blue

06/22/2009 37,760 Auto Auction Sold at auction
in Missouri
Listed as
a dealer vehicle

3 things:

color noted as blue?
why did the dealer only keep it for 2 mos?
fair price?

I have more info if needed and thank you in advance!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hmmm...

I saw a brand new base '08 in speed yellow at Danbury Porsche today that had $ 41,000 on the windshield. Not so sure about that price.

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
Bad price, not good details. 38k miles for a vehicle with no owner other than a dealer listed?!?! Color noted not right?

Black on black is nice, but why 2 sets of wheels? Definitely an owner-operator in there.

I bought my '06 S last Feb for $37k with 11k miles on it, with a CarFax that was clean.

I think you should keep looking. They're out there... Heck, there's an S on this site with 28k miles for $34K.

(BUT- the market has changed since I bought mine.. YourMileageMayVary)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the input so far.

I thought it was a bit high, but the cheaper vehicles always seem to be 500+ miles from me and I don't like to buy sight unseen. Am I reaching to think I can find a 06-07 Base or S for around 32k?

·
Senior Porsche Financier
712 Posts
Thank you for the input so far.

I thought it was a bit high, but the cheaper vehicles always seem to be 500+ miles from me and I don't like to buy sight unseen. Am I reaching to think I can find a 06-07 Base or S for around 32k?
Several points, in no particular order -

1) I bought a nearly-mint '06 CS w/ 12K miles for $37K, plus another $1K for the plane ticket, independent porsche dealer used car evaluation and first service.

This car has PASM, Bose, & Bi-Xenons and was originally stickered over $71K. A lease return bought by a non-porsche dealer at auction which does a side-line in higher-end cars. I flew 1,800 miles and drove the car home.

more about that plane ticket, not-porsche dealer && lease-return later ...

2) do you want the base or S ? For you - If it's about the looks of the car, consider the base; If you like to play w/ freeway on-ramps and generally enjoy driving consider the extras you get w/ an S:

more horsepower: 3.4L engine instead of 2.7L; larger brakes, 6-speed instead of 5 ... also consider that most of the caymans I found when shopping for mine were S, not base.

hell, test drive both and then walk away from the porsche dealer. They probably won't pull a gun on you to keep you there. Probably.

3) I found my car on autotrader.com ... I had no qualms about buying long-distance; for me it was all about the car's options (few had PASM and I really wanted it), and the car's 'story' -- where it came from, and the clean carFax. Backing up the story was a "pre-owned evaluation" at an uninvolved porsche dealer. The service writer emphatically said I was "getting a good one".

Look for a complete service history.

The criteria and process are the same regardless of distance. You put a deposit down w/ your visa card and the dealer emails you agreeing to refund the deposit if the car isn't as described or if you're not satisfied. They should be willing to email you as many pictures as you like.

4) pay attention to the dealers who don't return phone calls, evade questions, won't supply specifics about the car ... walk away from those. there are plenty of great cars out there.

5) And once you put a deposit down, the dealer will probably help you out by picking you up at the airport; my salesman offered to get a motel room for me and met me at the airport at 11:00pm even though my flight was delayed. Ask for that kind of help.

6) autotrader's search allows a price range, distance from your zip code, year range ... the only thing it wouldn't do was filter out base models.

HINT: sort the output by car mileage: you'll soon see price / milage trends, which are higher, which lower, which are jerking you around by not posting a price.

7) do the autotrader search anyway to get a feel for pricing && what's out there !

8) leased vehicle from a non-porsche dealer: I called a 3'rd party porsche mechanic who surprised me -- said he loved lease returns; and as long as the car wasn't abused, the porsche warranty would run long enough to catch anything major.

I probably saved $4K buying non CPO from someone other than a porsche dealer.

9) 'nother HINT: look for an individual sale w/ a story indicating a fussy owner - hates to sell, garaged for ever, only driven on nice days ....

good luck - you'll have many options if you're willing to look farther away.

ymmv,

-PM.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you PM for that informative reply.

Did you get an independent inspection done on your dime or was the service writer inspection done by the dealership?

How do you deal with a lease turn in it's not like you can use kbb to see what the dealership may have offered for it for a personal trade in.

I have been using autotrader and cars.com with searching at Porsche dealerships with the latter having the higher prices of course.

I'll travel if it means I'll get what I want, but I only have 1 day off a week and I'm very particular if there's something like a single door ding I won't want it so hate to make wasted trips :p

·
Cayman Register Advocate
7,305 Posts
Hi there!

I am looking to join your ranks via a cayman purchase. :) I have found a '07 base model with about 38k miles and they're asking 34k for it.

Hmmm...

I saw a brand new base '08 in speed yellow at Danbury Porsche today that had $ 41,000 on the windshield. Not so sure about that price.
I was thinking the same thing. The price at Danbury is $41,800. If it were me, I'd much rather have a new car (1 year newer, less depreciation) with no miles and a nice warranty for $7K more.

2008 Cayman (new) - Classifieds

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Megalex, I don't know where you live. I read Cayman ads in SE USA. Autotrader, Cars.com, and CL for most large cities. I decided to buy a S2000 with hardtop & save some more $ before getting a 2.7 or 2.9 Cayman. I'll share this ad, the best deal on a 2.7 I've seen.
63 y o , 3rd or 4th car, garaged. S Fla.
WEST PALM BEACH , FL 33411
CAYMAN '07 Artic Silver, 5-speed, 7,300 miles, Mint Condition! $29,000. Call 561-371-5910
Msrp ~ 53,000 ? prefered package? Wheel crest, + stereo
That's $3/mile depreciation. Bad for him, good for 2nd owner.
If I had not just bought the S2k, I would have flown down to see/buy it.
Many of the club members would be able to help you buy out of town. Have a local look the car over. Pay a local dealer for a PPI (~$200 & worth it). I much prefer to buy direct from the owner. In my case, I can fly RT to S Fla for ~ $175-300. You could have the car shipped or have a retired guy like me drive it to you. Check your state's rules. In Ga, I pay no sales tax on private party cars.
Good luck

·
Senior Porsche Financier
712 Posts
Thank you PM for that informative reply.

Did you get an independent inspection done on your dime or was the service writer inspection done by the dealership?

How do you deal with a lease turn in it's not like you can use kbb to see what the dealership may have offered for it for a personal trade in.

I have been using autotrader and cars.com with searching at Porsche dealerships with the latter having the higher prices of course.

I'll travel if it means I'll get what I want, but I only have 1 day off a week and I'm very particular if there's something like a single door ding I won't want it so hate to make wasted trips :p
Let's take these in order -

Inspection:
I wanted the dealer to share the risk and pay for the independent eval -- their risk if I walk away, my risk because I paid for the plane ticket; I ended up paying for that eval, and for the 10K mile service. About $200 - $300 for the evaluation alone, worth the money even if you walk away -- think of what you *would* have been paying to fix a hidden problem.

And the independent dealer was very strict - since I was paying for the eval - I got all the results. No filtering thru the seller. That alone is worth some $$.

re: Valuing a lease return ... I didn't want to "game" the process -- A dealer may shave thousands off an individual sale if it helps them exceed some sales target -- earning them bonuses enough to make up for that individual sale's discount.

... I filed it under "willing seller, willing buyer"; They asked $38K, I offered $37K and am immediate sale - they took $37K.

I did factor in blue book; added some $$ to what I was willing to pay to get my options, took back some money because it wasn't a porsche dealer and came w/ what remained of the factory warranty, only.

I had plans B and C -- more expensive cars sold by porsche dealers, listened to my mechanic friend, and took the less expensive option.

I *did* believe the pictures and salesman when he told me the car was immaculate. You can do no differently if it's a remote sale.

To help take that kind of a plunge, I googled for dealer's name + "complaints" and didn't find anything.

I also had a picture / scenario of the kind of seller I wanted and my seller generally fit. On the other hand I nearly walked away once when they seemed to have a problem getting me add'l pictures and once again when they wouldn't take the car for that independent evaluation.

It turned out that they subcontracted their ad photos to an outside photographer and so didn't have the in-house expertise to take and email pictures themselves.

And until I pushed, they didn't want to take the risk to put the car on the road to drive it to the porsche dealer. There was also talk about not having the staff && time ....

Whatever. I pushed, got my photo of the center column pasm button (to verify my car had that option) and pushed again on the used car eval. The salesman drove the car to/from the porsche dealer and burned his morning doing so.

I made it pretty clear I wouldn't be showing up if that eval didn't happen.

Re buying a long-distance car ...

This, too is about money. you can shop at your nearest porsche dealer, and be exposed only to his inventory and his pricing: His ball, park, game and rules. That convenience is really expensive. On the other hand, if that's what makes you comfortable, shop locally!

You can look cross-country or in your half, get what you want and save some $$ -- and maybe pay some $$ back to transport the car back to you. Or call in sick/dead and take a couple of days for this major purchase.

if you'll lose your job it may be less expensive to shop locally. One member has offered to bring the car to you ... maybe him or someone in the same situation.

I would personally want to be involved - but that's just me. Others buy cars sight-unseen but that's beyond my comfort zone.

ANDDDDDdddddd

Do you want the base Cayman or Cayman S ??!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
re: Valuing a lease return ... I didn't want to "game" the process -- A dealer may shave thousands off an individual sale if it helps them exceed some sales target -- earning them bonuses enough to make up for that individual sale's discount.

ANDDDDDdddddd

Do you want the base Cayman or Cayman S ??!
Reason I ask about valuing lease returns is I'd like to buy from a Porsche dealer for two reasons 1) close (4 dealerships within 8 hour roundtrip) 2) financing (my bank won't extend the term past 48mos and although I haven't found out yet I imagine the rate would be higher)

So I know I'll be paying extra but armed with some numbers I could maybe shave some of that off. I know in the past they had low rates for CPOs I'll maybe put 4k on it a year so dunno how much I'm willing to pay for an extended warranty.

Base or S...hmmm mainly dependent on cost, I'd like to get a S and I know the spec differences but I'd be perfectly fine with a base...a Porsche is a Porsche to me I just want one :) Moving from a lifted Jeep Wrangler I'd imagine I'd be very satisfied with it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Megalex, I don't know where you live. I read Cayman ads in SE USA. Autotrader, Cars.com, and CL for most large cities. I decided to buy a S2000 with hardtop & save some more $ before getting a 2.7 or 2.9 Cayman. I'll share this ad, the best deal on a 2.7 I've seen.
63 y o , 3rd or 4th car, garaged. S Fla.
WEST PALM BEACH , FL 33411
CAYMAN '07 Artic Silver, 5-speed, 7,300 miles, Mint Condition! $29,000. Call 561-371-5910
Msrp ~ 53,000 ? prefered package? Wheel crest, + stereo
That's $3/mile depreciation. Bad for him, good for 2nd owner.
If I had not just bought the S2k, I would have flown down to see/buy it.
Many of the club members would be able to help you buy out of town. Have a local look the car over. Pay a local dealer for a PPI (~$200 & worth it). I much prefer to buy direct from the owner. In my case, I can fly RT to S Fla for ~ $175-300. You could have the car shipped or have a retired guy like me drive it to you. Check your state's rules. In Ga, I pay no sales tax on private party cars.
Good luck
That seems to be an excellent deal, but at the same time I find similar details and they're asking 6-7k more I don't get it. I've heard the options make a huge difference in price so maybe that's it.

Who knows I may take you up on that if I find one in your neck of the woods :)

·
Senior Porsche Financier
712 Posts
Reason I ask about valuing lease returns is I'd like to buy from a Porsche dealer for two reasons 1) close (4 dealerships within 8 hour roundtrip) 2) financing (my bank won't extend the term past 48mos and although I haven't found out yet I imagine the rate would be higher)

So I know I'll be paying extra but armed with some numbers I could maybe shave some of that off. I know in the past they had low rates for CPOs I'll maybe put 4k on it a year so dunno how much I'm willing to pay for an extended warranty.

Base or S...hmmm mainly dependent on cost, I'd like to get a S and I know the spec differences but I'd be perfectly fine with a base...a Porsche is a Porsche to me I just want one :) Moving from a lifted Jeep Wrangler I'd imagine I'd be very satisfied with it.
OK, I get that - treat a lease return as a used car ... w/ a used car you never know what the dealer has into it. Look at options, blue book and make a low offer -- the dealers are still not selling many cars.

some have their price margins / pride to maintain; Others will take a lesser deal if it moves a car.

As for the price differences you're seeing - just like buying ... sellers don't all do the same research and some want to sell a car more than others.

about price differences - there are some sellers, especially dealers, who always stick a big number on every car. First, someone may just buy at that price; second - if you see a dealer whose prices are unrealistically high just walk. Find one who is aware that you have a host of options shopping the internet.

Some dealers have 'internet sales' departments -- salaried sales personnel who handle the internet sales. deal w/ those people. They have a miminum price they must get for every car and they know you have options via the internet.

You don't *have* to tell them you want to buy from a dealer. And wait 'till you agree in writing on a price before talking dealer financing.

My favorite phrase when trying to get a realistic number out of a dealer: "I'm looking for a reason to come back and buy the car - what are you looking to get for this car ...?"

good luck,

-PM.

·
Registered
47 Posts
You might want to check some other banks or credit unions. My credit union will do up to 72 month for anything 2005 and newer. Normally the longer loans have a higher rate but my credit union had a special running where it was 5.5% for any loan and length so I'd say do some searching and see what you can find.

I second Plainsman's comments. I found a good car and I was willing to pay more than going through ebay or a private party because it was CPO, 4 new tires, full service performed, I knew the full vehicle history, and low miles. Even so, I thought the car was priced a bit high for the market and I told them so but if they were willing to come down to my price I would be interested. First they said no, so I told them no thanks and when they saw I would walk away they came around pretty quickly.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi there!

Few things about it:
1) black on black
2) manual
3) two sets of wheels/tires 17's and 19's.

Thing is the carfax has me scratching my head:

03/25/2009 36,838
Parktown Imports
Saint Louis, MO
314-965-7711
Vehicle offered for sale

04/20/2009 37,546 Auto Auction Sold at auction
in Missouri
Listed as
a dealer vehicle

CARFAX Xpert
Dealers routinely buy and sell millions of used vehicles at auction each year.

04/28/2009 Iowa
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Urbandale, IA
Title #77AG31328 Title or registration issued
Dealer took title of this vehicle
while it was in inventory

Vehicle color noted as Blue

06/22/2009 37,760 Auto Auction Sold at auction
in Missouri
Listed as
a dealer vehicle

3 things:

color noted as blue?
why did the dealer only keep it for 2 mos?
fair price?

I have more info if needed and thank you in advance!
I got a fully loaded 06 Cayman **S** with 14k miles on it as a certified pre-owned purchase from a dealer for 38K three months ago, I don't think you are getting a very good price.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I shopped Cars.com and found an 07 CS w/11,500mi. at a Porsche dealer in Ohio. It's a CPO car and I paid 39k for it. I had it shipped to California for a thousand bucks and I didn't miss a day of work! I was a little nervous buying off a picture on the internet but it was a reputeable dealer and all turned out well. I love the car. The deals are out there if you look hard.:cheers:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I shopped Cars.com and found an 07 CS w/11,500mi. at a Porsche dealer in Ohio. It's a CPO car and I paid 39k for it. I had it shipped to California for a thousand bucks and I didn't miss a day of work! I was a little nervous buying off a picture on the internet but it was a reputeable dealer and all turned out well. I love the car. The deals are out there if you look hard.:cheers:
That may be the route I'll have to take. Going on 3 months now and I search the usual sites every day! Care to pm the dealership? :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
I bought mine at Stoddard Porsche in Cleveland, Ohio. The car had been sitting through the entire winter so when I came along I think they really wanted to sell it. The timing was just right for me. You can check out their inventory online at any dealer. Hilton Head has a nice red CS right now at 45k. Stoddard has a standard Cayman for about 38k. Just go to Porsche.com and use the dealer locator, or look through the dealer sponsors right here on caymanclub.net. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts