Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been doing DE on and off for several years now. but the last time was almost 10 months ago, so a bit rusty. I was amazed how easy it is to drive this car fast. I can already see that Cayman GT4 is gonna be a track monster!

Everything stock (even alignment), except for better brake fluid, SS brake lines and CGT seats. Best time 2:06 at Thunderhill running bypass. There are still plenty of places to pick up more speed. If I'd braked less at T9 and commit to T5 bypass, sub 2:05 is definitely do-able.

Dunno how to link it in HD

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
Good to see GTS put to a good use!

That thing on the wind shield - it's not limiting your view to the right?

·
Registered
948 Posts
Nice driving, love seeing the GTS on the track. What was that car ahead of you? It turned well too. Looked like maybe R set up Miata?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice driving, love seeing the GTS on the track. What was that car ahead of you? It turned well too. Looked like maybe R set up Miata?
Thanks. It was a S2000. I was able to get 2:06 partly because I was trying super hard to chase him down.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Dunno how to link it in HD
1. No worries, you can click on the you tube icon in lower right corner of video, so it opens in you tube at HD. Then at full screen it is like sitting in the backseat of the Cayman (well, you know what I mean).
2. Nice to see someone driving a "proper" transmission on the track ;), thanks for posting.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Nice driving.
A few questions:

The car in front looked to have it's rear end moving around a bit--how did the GTS perform?

I noticed the winter coat--so, how cold was it?

I noticed in your signature you had a 997.2GT3--how does the GTS compare, discounting the HP differential.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The GTS felt really composed and nimble. I didn't feel any understeer or oversteer. It really shined in the corners. Though I left a good 2 seconds out on the track.

50F. And we had huge down pour few days before.

Besides the hp/torque difference, Cayman GTS is softer in every way. Steering still good but not as responsive and no immediate feedback. Brake pedal feels weak in the GTS, not very firm (and I did flush the fluid). Now I understand why some Cayman track guys swap over to GT3 master cylinder. Throttle response is slower (partly due to lack of power and lightweight flywheel). Shifter not as notchy and clutch pedal not as stiff, so easier to shift. Maybe I got used to the notchiness of the GT3 shifter, I was having slight trouble upshifting 2nd to 3rd gear in this car in the back S (perhaps purely operator error). At 1:40 of the video you can see I actually popped it in neutral first then pushed up to 3rd gear. But the GTS takes the corners really well! It gives you great confidence. In the GT3RS, on the other hand, all the weight is in the rear, yet it still had the tendency to understeer. But if pushed too far, the rear steps out easily. I constantly remind myself that Cayman GTS is about $60K cheaper than a 997.2 GT3RS. So even with these minor short comings, GTS still a great track car.

Reactions: trapper

·
Registered
9 Posts
Always nice to see people wearing gloves on the track ... :banana:...was it that cold?
What is the advantage of driving a "proper" transmission on the track if your not driving in the best rpm range ?

Dont take it personal ;)...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Low 40s in the morning. 50F in the afternoon. And I was wearing just a tshirt underneath the jacket. That was a poor decision. I'm more of a warm climate person.

Short shifting on purpose as it only had 1000 miles on it. In hindsight it was not necessary.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Great video, and great car! Couldn't figure out which seats you have in the car? Are they sport bucket seats? I also noticed there was a warning light in the middle of the rev counter. What was it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
^ Thanks. They are Carrera GT seats, same as the Euro clubsport seats.

The red warning light is the airbag light. CGT seat even though have the same wire harness plug, it doesn't have side airbag. I need to take it to the dealership to have the code cleared.

Reactions: Mike R.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Nice video. I like the winter jacket!

What kind of camera and mount are you using? I have been using a Replay XD1080 in my Lotus.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm using Drift Innovation Ghost camera. I use their standard adhesive mount and mount it to the metal bar behind the seat.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I tucked the external mic behind the carpet panel behind the seat. I think it still doesn't do any justice to the PSE. Next time I might tape the mic right on the rear license plate area.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts