Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently replaced a 2.7 987.1 Cayman with a 987.2 Cayman S. The car is in otherwise immaculate condition and came with PASM (My 987.1 I assume had a base suspension, which was great for the street, clearly soft for the track, but a great street suspension).

My impression so far of PASM is that it's usually way underdamped leading to a floaty imprecise feel when you are driving about normally. It does tighten up reasonable well if you head into an on ramp quickly, but it feels like there's a brief instant before it realizes you're no longer driving sedately before it tightens up. I've not been on a track with it yet.

PASM Sport feels like it's probably a great setting for autocrossing, possibly for the track, but it's too stiff to be enjoyed on the street.

Many people have assured me that I will fall in love with PASM and that it's a cake-and-eat-it-too option, so I've been trying to embrace it for a few months now. I think at the end of the day I just wish it was a little more finely damped in its softest mode. The floaty back and forth rolling you can get over small bumps just honestly doesn't feel like a sports car.

For some reference, I've had numerous two seat sports cars (Alfa Romeo Spyder, MR2, 987.1 Cayman). In addition to those I've had a Miata with H&R Springs with Tokico adjustable shocks, and an RX-7 with the R1 track suspension which was a suspension criticized for being essentially a track suspension and I've race formula and shifter karts. So although far from an expert in suspension tuning, I have a pretty good tolerance for handling vs ride trade offs.

I'm contemplating taking out the PASM suspension and replacing it with a sports suspension (either factory or aftermarket), but have seen some folks mention replacing the springs on PASM cars. Since it feels like PASM just uses way too little damping I'm not sure this would actually help, it seems like the PASM software is more the problem to me.

Does anyone have similar guidance on ways to deal with PASM and more precise handling? I'm all for a softer ride on the street, but softer to me is relative with a sports car, essentially turning off the dampers so that the car just bounces around like an American car from the 80s isn't really the soft/compliant ride I'm looking for.

I do occasionally bring my car to the track, but it's not a track car. I focus my track time more on shifter karts, so bringing the Porsche to the track is just a rare treat or a case where I want to give rides to friends around the track. So it just needs to be competent at the track (my 987.1 Cayman was underpowered, under braked and under suspended as a frequent use track car, but honestly was actually totally fine for what my track needs are).

·
Registered
574 Posts
TPC Racing's DSC module is a nice upgrade for PASM equipped cars. They're also on the verge of introducing some super whammodyne shocks that work well with the DSC computer.

Reactions: K-Man S

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
To OP, is it possible that your dampers are worn?

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
I was going to say "someone just put up a set of KW V1s on here for ~$1300". Apparently Lemon. Buy those and be done w/ your search.

·
Banned
2,307 Posts
i can get those too..

but he has pasm. he still has to buy that four corner modules.. from KW. or you can have the dealer turn off the pasm

the only replacement for pasm.. is bilstien damptronics which i also stock..the discount right now from the manufacturer is good but not as crazy as KW right now..

Lemon

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I got TPC's PASM replacement module (called TPC) along with a set of Bilstein Damptronic coilovers.

I love them. Very good on streets, and the new computer is much more "active" as well. Makes the OEM PASM module on 987.1 feel very lazy and crude.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I'd certainly start with the tpc module and see how much it improves things for you. It looks fairly easy to install and you can easily remove and resell it if it doesn't meet your needs. If you think the sport setting is too stiff I wouldn't even consider KW V1s. I had them on my 996 and loved them on the track, but they much more aggressive than the PSM in sport mode in my 987.2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone some really good feedback. Summarizing all the feedback and the web browsing I did based on all your suggestions it sounds like trying the TPC DSC makes the most sense with the potential to upgrade to the damptronics if that doesn't get me where I need to be. I realize Randy Probst helped develop them, so he's basically part of their marketing effort, but that video of him driving the Boxster S got me pretty excited to try the DSC.

I just need to decide if I'm doing the GT3 Master Cylinder upgrade or the DSC upgrade first (though likely both will need to be in place before I head to the track).

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I personally woudn't do the MC upgrade straight away. Change the brake fluid to 600,fit some SS lines and possibly 997 GT3 front cooling ducts and see how that feels. I've done quite a few trackdays now in my 987.1 CS with the afore mentioned mods and have had no braking issues at all.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I personally woudn't do the MC upgrade straight away. Change the brake fluid to 600,fit some SS lines and possibly 997 GT3 front cooling ducts and see how that feels. I've done quite a few trackdays now in my 987.1 CS with the afore mentioned mods and have had no braking issues at all.
That's good feedback thanks, I actually have SS lines and fresh fluid. I haven't driven the CS at the track yet, but with my base Cayman I thought that although stopping power was ultimately fine for a street pad there was an initial weak feeling and lack of bite that just made me have little confidence in the brakes (that actually performed fine). But on the street it's pretty much a non issue (where as the suspension feel annoys me every moment I'm not picking up the speed around the bends).

Not to mention I'm not looking forward trying to protect my frunk from all that fluid spewing about when I put that MC in!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I am replacing my stock PASM from my 987.1 with Damptronics. The stock PASM shocks will available. They work fine, just wanted to lower the car.

·
Registered
162 Posts
You will want to replace the MC right away. Something changed between the gen1 and gen2 cars braking systems, I've had both, and the gen 2 car brake pedal was much softer, mushier. The gt3 master solves that.

·
Senior Porsche Financier
733 Posts
That's good feedback thanks, I actually have SS lines and fresh fluid. I haven't driven the CS at the track yet, but with my base Cayman I thought that although stopping power was ultimately fine for a street pad there was an initial weak feeling and lack of bite that just made me have little confidence in the brakes (that actually performed fine). But on the street it's pretty much a non issue (where as the suspension feel annoys me every moment I'm not picking up the speed around the bends).

Not to mention I'm not looking forward trying to protect my frunk from all that fluid spewing about when I put that MC in!
That lack of initial bite is an issue with the stock pads ... Felt the same and went with performance friction 97 -compound pads for the track. Excellent, endurance racking pad. Just clean the dust off your wheels when the track weekend is done, as it is a bit corrosive over time.

I have a front set with a good bit of meat I'll sell for not much if you want to try them. If you're interested, PM me and I can put numbers to 'good bit' and 'not much'. I'll sell them as I don't plan on returning to the track in my 987.1.

mmmv,
-PM.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I looked at the Damptronics, but have heard unless you're tracking your car a lot they are fairly rough on the street. I have a couple of leaking shocks, so I think I am going to replace my PASM setup as it works great for me. I would prefer to spend money on a TBD

·
Senior Porsche Financier
733 Posts
I looked at the Damptronics, but have heard unless you're tracking your car a lot they are fairly rough on the street. I have a couple of leaking shocks, so I think I am going to replace my PASM setup as it works great for me. I would prefer to spend money on a TBD
I'm interested in replacing my pasm fronts (1 is leaking) - with either their B6 ('HD') or B8 ('sport'). I have heard b6 make a nice streetable upgrade.

I really don't want any more drop as my pasm car is already 1cm lower than the non-pasm models.

Anyone Out There used either? I could use some guidance.

-PM.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts