Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me or is anyone else a bit miffed that Porsche have decided to bring out flappy paddles?

I hated the buttons and didn't go with PDK because of them. Now I really want PDK with paddles :(

Thinking of trading mine in for a new one.... exactly the same spec but with PDK and paddles... bit loathed to do it though because of the cost. What do you think?

:confused: :confused:

·
Registered
992 Posts
Is it just me or is anyone else a bit miffed that Porsche have decided to bring out flappy paddles?

I hated the buttons and didn't go with PDK because of them. Now I really want PDK with paddles :(

Thinking of trading mine in for a new one.... exactly the same spec but with PDK and paddles... bit loathed to do it though because of the cost. What do you think?

Me. I just picked mine up two months ago but would have waited for the paddles. I won't trade it in, but damn damn damn.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
The easy way to get over this is to call your dealer and look at the cost delta on a trade. I'd stick with I had for a while. This from a guy who traded and '08' CS with 3000 mi for an '09' CS with PDK :cheers:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Have an 09 with PDK (6000 miles and 6 track days) and love the buttons, they are right where you do not have to move a finger to use them. Tried the paddles on an AMG SL63 and they did not seem as convenient. To each their own

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Could you not replace the steering wheel when the paddles are released? I would imagine it would require coding.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts

Yeah, does kinda suck IMO, bad move on Porsches part.

If you trade now you'll take a bath, but it's your money.

IMO,.....enjoy the heck out of what you have, the performance benefit of the PDK is negligible for the price. If you really don't want the stick give it to me,.....happy to embrace it lovingly!

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,272 Posts
Get the paddles.

·
Premium Member
2,675 Posts
The bad news about the paddles on the Porsche is that they are fixed to the steering wheel surround and therefore when your have turned the wheel so that your hands are at the '12' and '6' o'clock position you cannot select a gear without taking your hands off the steering wheel!!

Most 'paddle shifters' are attached to the steering wheel so that you can always change gear.

Not that you should be changing gear in a bend......

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey guys,

Thanks for the feedback.

The bad news about the paddles on the Porsche is that they are fixed to the steering wheel surround and therefore when your have turned the wheel so that your hands are at the '12' and '6' o'clock position you cannot select a gear without taking your hands off the steering wheel!!

Most 'paddle shifters' are attached to the steering wheel so that you can always change gear.

Not that you should be changing gear in a bend......
If this is true, i think i'll stick with what i have for the next year or so.

:thanks:

·
Registered
91 Posts
We have been looking into swapping a PDK wheel for the Paddle wheel. Everything from the PDK car is identical the only difference is the wheel. The '10 Turbo and the Boxster Speedster are the only current cars that have been shown with the Paddle wheel.

None are available in the World, but we have one on order.

We will let you know once we have tried the swap on a car here, in the shop, to make sure everything functions correctly. The Turbo is not release till January of 2010, so we may start seeing some wheels here state side around that time.

By the way... We are having a Sale starting this weekend!
Chech it out
www.SuncoastParts.com

Thanks
Aaron
www.SuncoastParts.com
1-877-923-1700
[email protected]

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
I'm pretty sure I read in Excellence's review of the new turbo w/PDK that the paddles move with the steering wheel.

·
Registered
696 Posts
The paddles on my G35 are fixed to the wheel and large enough that hand position is never a problem. They are easy to use and work well. I tried a Boxter with buttons and a BMW with paddles and found them equally awkward.

That said, I suppose one could get used to anything given a bit of time, but from what I have read of race driver tests of PDK, just driving and letting it do the shifting is the fastest way around.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts