Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious to know if anyone has done this yet? Feedback? Issues?
:thanks:

·
Registered
992 Posts
Curious to know if anyone has done this yet? Feedback? Issues?
:thanks:
I did the Softronics flash last week...since then, I've probably driven 200 miles. I did not want to send off my ECU so FVD was out of the question. Install was pretty uneventful, aside from my stock readout to Softronics not working the first time. I uploaded the new file, cleared the codes, and drove it around for a weekend. Initial thoughts? Power delivery is a bit smoother. I don't notice a real difference in daily driving or stoplight sprints, but I feel a bit more urgency on the freeway. I didn't expect miracles from a flash on a NA engine running 91 octane, so everything was up to snuff on my end.

If anyone has a stock DFI in the bay area, I'd love to see the visible change (if any) on a freeway run.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did the Softronics flash last week...since then, I've probably driven 200 miles. I did not want to send off my ECU so FVD was out of the question. Install was pretty uneventful, aside from my stock readout to Softronics not working the first time. I uploaded the new file, cleared the codes, and drove it around for a weekend. Initial thoughts? Power delivery is a bit smoother. I don't notice a real difference in daily driving or stoplight sprints, but I feel a bit more urgency on the freeway. I didn't expect miracles from a flash on a NA engine running 91 octane, so everything was up to snuff on my end.

If anyone has a stock DFI in the bay area, I'd love to see the visible change (if any) on a freeway run.
What battery charger/tender did you use?:thanks:

·
Registered
1,664 Posts

how is the fabspeed exhaust treating you?

worth it?

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
we should be doing ours here in the next 2 weeks... we got 13whp out of the C2S so i would expect comparable power out of the cayman.

·
Registered
992 Posts
What battery charger/tender did you use?:thanks:
I used the maintainer from Suncoast - not sure if I should have used a charger instead, but it's what I had in the garage.

how is the fabspeed exhaust treating you?

worth it?
Yes it's worth it. One caveat: As an early 20-something-year-old, I find the exhaust pretty tame. I read on here that some people think it's one of the more aggressive systems....I just don't see it. I'm coming from HKS/Greddy exhausts on my Lexus so this may skew my opinion. The fabspeed is whisper quiet until you pass the daily driving RPM range and open the throttle up (the sound is great here), but it's never LOUD. Yes it drones a bit, but so does everything else.

·
Vendor
292 Posts
Croctor,

Our testing has been completed on the DFI Caymans. Our software is $ 995.00 for the DFI's if you are interested. It also includes a free single user license for the durametric diagnostic tool.

Here are the performance gains at the crank:

Genuine (Based on 6 speed):
Engine - 6 Cylinder Boxer
Capacity - 3436ccm
Compression ratio - 12,5:1
Max. Power - 235 kW (320 PS) @ 7,200 rpm
Max. Torque - 370Nm (272 lbf ft) @ 4,750rpm
Max. Speed - 277 km/h
Max. RPM - 7500rpm
Acceleration 0-100km/h (0-60mph) - 5.2s (Based on Porsche® AG)

Tuning:
Max. Power - 245kW (333HP) @ 7,200rpm
Max. Torque - 385Nm (284lbf ft) @ 4,750rpm
Max. Speed - 280km/h
Max. RPM - 7,500rpm
Acceleration 0-100km/h (0-60mph) - 5.0s

Thanks,
Rhonda

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
When flashing you really should use a charger. My old Sears job is rated at 8 amps and when doing a flash it runs maxxed out at 8. I got away with it but picked up a newer 10/20 amp charger starter for future times.

It's my understanding that if the battery dies during the flash it can take the ECU with it. As you've found a maintainer will work if the battery is healthy and everything goes fine. I just prefer the extra time a charger would add if something goes awry. The 1 or so amps a maintainer adds doesn't buy you much margin.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When flashing you really should use a charger. My old Sears job is rated at 8 amps and when doing a flash it runs maxxed out at 8. I got away with it but picked up a newer 10/20 amp charger starter for future times.

It's my understanding that if the battery dies during the flash it can take the ECU with it. As you've found a maintainer will work if the battery is healthy and everything goes fine. I just prefer the extra time a charger would add if something goes awry. The 1 or so amps a maintainer adds doesn't buy you much margin.
Does the higher amperage model also plug into the cig lighter? What make and model? I want to have all my ducks in a row before I do this.:thanks:

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Just checked the Softronic web site, didn't see a listing for the 3.4 DFI Cayman S. Scott had PM'd me that he would post a notice when that was available. (Curious if a flash makes sense with a car that has PDK + Sport & Sport Plus already...)

·
Registered
74 Posts
I know you will hate my but I suggest everyone interested in ECU flashing to get a very good place to have your car tuned.

Every engine is a little different from each other, and every engine can supply different torque and power depending on octane, run-in, etc etc.

So, specially after mods such as intake (filters, manifolds), exhaust, a full personalized tune would get the better results.

Here in Italy we have some good tuners and many of them (some of the best), they don't even use a dyno, just a notebook connected to the car to get real time data, flash ECU, test again, etc etc.

A road-based tuning is considered better than a tuning on the dyno, and WAY better than a "preconfigured" tune like Softronic.

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know you will hate my but I suggest everyone interested in ECU flashing to get a very good place to have your car tuned.

Every engine is a little different from each other, and every engine can supply different torque and power depending on octane, run-in, etc etc.

So, specially after mods such as intake (filters, manifolds), exhaust, a full personalized tune would get the better results.

Here in Italy we have some good tuners and many of them (some of the best), they don't even use a dyno, just a notebook connected to the car to get real time data, flash ECU, test again, etc etc.

A road-based tuning is considered better than a tuning on the dyno, and WAY better than a "preconfigured" tune like Softronic.

I thought Softronic was a custom flash modeled on stock tune file?

:)

·
Registered
992 Posts
Just checked the Softronic web site, didn't see a listing for the 3.4 DFI Cayman S. Scott had PM'd me that he would post a notice when that was available. (Curious if a flash makes sense with a car that has PDK + Sport & Sport Plus already...)
It's available....I have it in my PDK with SP and SP+.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You'll find info at softronictuning wesite.:cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
Does the higher amperage model also plug into the cig lighter? What make and model? I want to have all my ducks in a row before I do this.:thanks:
The only thing I know of that plugs into the cig lighter are more in the way of maintainers or slow chargers. Higher amperage chargers connect directly to the battery cable connectors. IE right on the battery posts without disconnecting the cables.

The charger will come with instructions but in brief connect the red positive clamp first followed by the black negative clamp. Then plug the charger in.

You don't want any power on until connected. While the Cayman battery vents under the car, and should be quite safe, a spark has the potential of igniting the hydrogen gas that's a byproduct of battery charging.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The only thing I know of that plugs into the cig lighter are more in the way of maintainers or slow chargers. Higher amperage chargers connect directly to the battery cable connectors. IE right on the battery posts without disconnecting the cables.

The charger will come with instructions but in brief connect the red positive clamp first followed by the black negative clamp. Then plug the charger in.

You don't want any power on until connected. While the Cayman battery vents under the car, and should be quite safe, a spark has the potential of igniting the hydrogen gas that's a byproduct of battery charging.
I got it!! I've charged and boosted batteries before. I've seen and treated some very nasty ocular injuries from battery explosions and will be very cautious. Might even have a fan running in garage?:thanks:

·
Vendor
1,023 Posts
The special is still on for all the Boxster and Cayman cars and listed under the News Items for Softronic.. This would also apply to the DFI cars as well. The DFI Flash with Durametric would cost $956 with the savings and all others are at $716 also with Durametric. This sale is on until Dec. 31, 2009.

Best Regards,
Scott Slauson

1 - 19 of 19 Posts