Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So got up the other morning and needed to move the wife's CS. We're remodeling the bathroom and the contractor is cutting tiles with his wet-saw on the carport. I don't want to see him use the front boot-lid as a saw-stand, so I'm moving the cars out onto the drive every day.

The previous night, I had moved the car so that I could clean the gutters, and when I moved it back, I didn't take out the key, so the car sat with the key in it overnight... Got ready to move it and it was deader than a doornail. As most of us know, not necessarily from experience, but rather from reading this forum, wiht a dead battery you can't use the remote, or the lever, to open the boot so that you can jump the battery. There is; however, a release hidden in the crease of hte passenger door. I tired to use it and it snapped right off.

I was in a predicament; I couldn't leave the ccar on the carport. Tile dust is not a good amendment to a car's finish... I got the battery minder and plugged it in hoping that it might charge the battery before the contractor arrived. However, when I plugged it in the car went crazy! The interior lights began flashing, the passenger widow began cranking down, and the dash lights flashed! That's when inspiration struck! Try the boot release lever! It worked. With the front boot open, I could pull up another car and jump the battery.

Lesson learned; don't leave the key in the car. Before using the hidden release, try the battery minder. After getting the car running. come up with a good story to tell the wife...

·
Registered
346 Posts
Lesson learned; don't leave the key in the car. Before using the hidden release, try the battery minder. After getting the car running. come up with a good story to tell the wife...
...and if you DO leave the key in the car, make sure you have somewhere to plug in the battery minder! ;) Nice save! Plus one more reason to consider some sort of battery jump starter.

·
Premium Member
3,809 Posts
The "hidden release" in the passenger door frame is for the gas cap cover, not the front hood - not sure what it means if you broke it off. The mechanical release for the front trunk is located inside the left front fender liner.

My advice to others: if you think your battery might be dead or dying, it's a good idea to try and pop the front hood while you still have a little juice left, since I don't think it requires a lot of power to activate the release (e.g. you come back from a long trip and you're afraid that the battery might be dead, just pop the hood first before cranking the engine).

·
Registered
36 Posts
I thought that I was shown a way to jump the battery using a clip inside of the fuse box for the positive connection..... so you do not have to get to the battery itself.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Is it possible to push start a Cayman, or any modern manual car? In the non-computerized days, as long as the alternator (or generator, for the older vehicles) was turning fast enough, you could usually start a vehicle.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Is it possible to push start a Cayman, or any modern manual car? In the non-computerized days, as long as the alternator (or generator, for the older vehicles) was turning fast enough, you could usually start a vehicle.
Never thought of a problem w/ the computers with pop-starting the car.
Obviously no problem w/ my '68 1800S
Tried on an old dodge mini-van last summer.
never thought of it on the Boxster

Would appreciate hearing from anyone who's tried it

·
Premium Member
2,521 Posts
I don't know for sure if it's possible to push start or not but I'd say no. If you had enough battery to power the fuel pump and computer but not the starter maybe. Otherwise, with a completely dead battery, getting enough out of the alternator to power up the DME, fuel pump, and run the injectors while turning the key to start so the car would deliver fuel could be a challenge.

Remember to get fuel flow the car has to either be in start or, last I knew, have an ignition signal that it was running to keep the fuel pump relay pulled in. They may have changed the last but there will still be some indication that the engine is running to keep the pump going and the injectors firing. Keeps from pumping fuel all over the place in an accident.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The owner's manual cautions against 'bump starts'. Talks about catalytic converter damage. No wonder the trunk didn't open when I pulled the fruit loop! The good news is that under 'normal' circumstances the fuel filler door still opens. Not sure what 'abnormal' circumstances will be, but sure hope to have a full tank when it happens! The remodel didn't go up after the contractor saw the CS and the C, but he's lectured me that nobody needs two. What he doesn't understand is that being a watcher at a DE is nowhere near as much fun as driving!

·
Registered
346 Posts
IF anyone is thinking about a jumpstarter/powerpack, Cabela's (Cabela's Official Website - Quality Hunting, Fishing, Camping and Outdoor Gear at competitive prices.) is running a special on a "Cobra Jumpstarter, CJIC250", normally listed in their catalog for $79.95, on sale for $49.95. Deal includes a $10 rebate from Cobra (Cobra Electronics under power inverters) until 03/31/10. Unit is a 1200 Watt, 300A jumpstarter which includes a 260 psi air compressor, built-in LED light, AC output, and 5V USB tap.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
The owner's manual cautions against 'bump starts'. Talks about catalytic converter damage. No wonder the trunk didn't open when I pulled the fruit loop! The good news is that under 'normal' circumstances the fuel filler door still opens. Not sure what 'abnormal' circumstances will be, but sure hope to have a full tank when it happens! The remodel didn't go up after the contractor saw the CS and the C, but he's lectured me that nobody needs two. What he doesn't understand is that being a watcher at a DE is nowhere near as much fun as driving!
You should have told him you can have as many as you please. ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
IF anyone is thinking about a jumpstarter/powerpack, Cabela's (Cabela's Official Website - Quality Hunting, Fishing, Camping and Outdoor Gear at competitive prices.) is running a special on a "Cobra Jumpstarter, CJIC250", normally listed in their catalog for $79.95, on sale for $49.95. Deal includes a $10 rebate from Cobra (Cobra Electronics under power inverters) until 03/31/10. Unit is a 1200 Watt, 300A jumpstarter which includes a 260 psi air compressor, built-in LED light, AC output, and 5V USB tap.
Thanks for the lead. I just ordered on from Cabela's. Great price and even charges my iPhone!

·
I'm an excellent driver ....
1,628 Posts
Sure you can push start a Cayman. As long as you have a key and can turn the ignition to "on" you can push start. A car say like Audi which has a wireless key fob you cannot push start as you cannot set the ignition to on. To start you have to push the key or start button which then after starting goes back its original position, it does not have a separate "ON" position.
To unlock the front boot just connect/jump a battery to the fuse box. A cigarette lighter charger may or may not have enough AMP to pop the hood. The reason your car went crazy was because your key was in the ignition and the battery did not have enough juice to power the lights, dash and open the windows becaue you had your door open.

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Yup, remember when we had to push start your car at a gas station somewhere in North Carolina Schwabe? :hilarious:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts