Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone here has, has seen, or has photos of a flat black Cayman. Obviously, I'm not looking for Krylon jobs from the fast 'n furious crowd, and I'm not necessarily considering doing it, but I'd like to see it. I think a CS with aerokit, lowering springs, aluminum look trim, and a nice set of anodized wheels would look pretty sharp. Does such a thing exist?

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha! Thanks, Matt...actually doesn't look too bad. Add a GT3 front bumper, some aluminum look bits...could be sweet!

·
Registered
194 Posts
If you were to do it, you could always opt to havae your car wrapped in matte black rather than repainting it.

It would make more sense than repainting the whole car, plus it wouldn't be permanent. At the very least you could get it wrapped to see if you like it or not.

·
Registered
77 Posts
What do you mean "have it wrapped in matte black"? I am considering a matte finish for my car but it's the permanence of the deal that puts me off so far. If I can "test" it somehow without repainting it, that would be great. Also, this "wrapping" thing, is it available in silver or grey too?

·
Registered
206 Posts
What do you mean "have it wrapped in matte black"? I am considering a matte finish for my car but it's the permanence of the deal that puts me off so far. If I can "test" it somehow without repainting it, that would be great. Also, this "wrapping" thing, is it available in silver or grey too?
I believe it's a vinyl wrap. At first glance it seems to make sense compared to a respray. It's cheaper than painting and (like a sticker) you can take it off without damaging the paint which means it won't hurt the the value of your car. I'm also hearing it's quite durable and will not suffer from UV damage. A wrap is definitely an option to consider.
:cheers:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Yep, that's what I meant. If it's an attractive option for Enzo and Murcielago owners, it'll definitely be good for your Cayman.

No permanent damage to paint and available in virtually any color or pattern you can think of, from matte black to very artistic and even the Mona Lisa or Darth Vader if you so desired.

How long the wrap will hold up depends on how well you take care of it as it can get rock chips and blemishes all the same as the paint on your car. Regardless, there's far less risk than painting a car, certainly, and a number of shops really do beautiful work.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks for the heads up, guys! That definitely sounds like a more appealing option than committing to the paint job without seeing it first. Didn't even know it is a possibility... :)

PS: ChaseHQ, thanks for directing attention to that thread...what a bada$$ Cayman!!! Wow!

·
Premium Member
3,552 Posts
Expect an whole car vinyl wrap to about $3k. So it isn't all that much cheaper than a paint job, but it certainly isn't as permanent.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Saw a Ruf RT-12 w/a flat black vinyl wrap at the open house a couple of weeks ago... Nice! It had been on the car for 2 years and ~ 10K miles at that point,

Couldn't tell it wasn't paint at first and holding up really well!

·
Hurricane Region PCA Historian
920 Posts
I've got to say I think the flat black wrap would look good on a Cayman. Maybe not my thing, but I do think it would be pretty cool...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Expect an whole car vinyl wrap to about $3k. So it isn't all that much cheaper than a paint job, but it certainly isn't as permanent.
Not sure about your area, but around Los Angeles, a quality full body paint job is around $6000. Changing the finish and/or colour is $9000+, so it actually is MUCH cheaper.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts