Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had two problems with my Cayman S in 27,000 miles. One was the gasket around the third brake light that slid down the other was this past weekend when my dash lit up with the flat tyre warning. Porsche was even nice enough to let you watch the air run out of it with the dash display. I have a recomendation for every Porsche owner, carry a plug kit from Walmart and a can of Fix a flat. Fix a flat never works but the air will fill the tire up. In the time it took for me to slow down and get off the exit the lettering was off the sidewall and the tire was junk any way. The good news is that the car was 100% stable when I got the flat going close to 100mph, and the wheel was perfect. My lease is up in 3,000 and I had to put a new RR on it!

·
Registered
565 Posts
Wow! That could've been really bad. Glad the worst of it was a flat tire and the cost of a new tire that you won't get to use very long.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Nice..

I carry a 986 spare, which is bigger because I have to tilt it in the front trunk to make it fit.... Then again it is substantially cheaper, I think it was $250 with tools, and you don't need a compressor... Your solution is more elegant, no doubt... No way I am trusting Goop and a can of air to get me home !

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I had a flat yesterday and felt it almost as soon as I left the house, stopped 3 blocks later and sure enough, LR was flat. I pulled out the scissors jack and pulled it off, put the spare (Boxster space-saver I bought off eBay) and found out the spare was nearly flat too. I called my wife who came and picked me up (it was hot) and I got my air tank, filled it up, and returned to air up the spare. Drove home, took the flat to my local tire shop, and as I feared, the tire was ruined by running it on the rim. It had a drywall screw in the tread, and would have been repairable were it not for the rim damage to the carcass. I had them order me a new B'stone to match the others, and got it today. I was not planning to replace them this soon, but the new tire has 10/32" and the old rear one has 8-9 so I'm going to run them as is. I should have checked the spare, but it felt inflated and I never put a guage to it. I usually check the spare pretty often but just goofed this one.

Presence of the spare didn't really help that much, but I didn't have to leave the car sitting on the roadside overnight so I guess it was a pretty good thing that I had it.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
If you were stranded far away from home, wouldn't the stock inflater have inflated the spare?
Oh yeah, if I really were stranded that would have done the trick. Those pumps are really slow, however. Point is, the spare is a lifesaver and one never knows when a stray nail or screw will appear in a tire and the $250 I paid for the spare was money well spent.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I carry a Dyna Plug kit in each car, and on my Goldwing. They are fantastic for a rescue situation. Also, each car and the Goldwing have 12 volt pumps for tire inflation. Dyna Plug kits can be purchased at Harbor Freight.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.