Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll need to store my 981 for at least 4 months and was concerned about the tires. There is a product called Flatstoppers by Brute Industries and they claim the ramps will help keep tires in shape. A set of 4 at Amazon is around $253. Anyone have experience with this product?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you considered over inflating the tyres or even lifting the car up off the ground? Far cheaper than what you are proposing.
Yes, dealer recommends 50 lbs. However, I've been told that lifting the car is not good for the suspension since is was designed for bearing weight. I know the Flatstoppers are expensive but so are my Eagle F1s.

·
Registered
670 Posts
FWIW, I think this is one of those products designed to take advantage of our special sort of anal retentiveness when it comes to these cars. If you were storing your car somewhere cold, I'd say that there is MAYBE a chance that this offers an advantage over bumping up the air pressure, but you're in AZ. Even in the cold, five minutes of driving would eliminate any flat spotting that might occur. Go the air pressure route. Everything else is overkill, in my humble.

Reactions: 2015CS

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I live in Indiana, my car sat from November till two weeks ago and my F1s have experienced no flat spots. I think these pads are designed to lighten your wallet but that's my opinion. I didn't even change pressures. I think this is a way over-emphasized topic. Put the cash toward something fun, your F1s will be fine.

Reactions: Laaaaaaaaapis981

·
Registered
107 Posts
I live in Indiana, my car sat from November till two weeks ago and my F1s have experienced no flat spots. I think these pads are designed to lighten your wallet but that's my opinion. I didn't even change pressures. I think this is a way over-emphasized topic. Put the cash toward something fun, your F1s will be fine.
Pretty much same duration here (but with a miserable frigid northeast winter) my S-04 pole position's are fine. I never even over inflated them.

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,078 Posts
Keep in mind that selling a product in a lot of cases involves creating fear in the buyer. You are the only one that can evaluate your state of mind and the response to a sales pitch. This also applies later on when you are looking to place blame.

Search first before taking the easy way out by asking questions on the internet and expecting mind readers with answers.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I inflated my tires to 40lbs and put in the garage on a trickle battery charger. It was the coldest Winter I can remember in NJ. No issues. Same tires.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Agreed to all. It's nonsense that modern tires go permanently flat with long storage. In 9-month periods I haven't even felt the temporary flat others sometimes mention. As one poster wrote, it's important with our cars to NOT jack up the car to unnecessarily protect the tires.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Thanks all. Think I'll just overinflate and save $250.
I have been storing my 987 for 6 month winters in NE Ohio for the past 6 years with no problems by just over inflating the tires to 45psi all around.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts