Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I spent this summer flogging the whee out of my 06 Cayman S at multiple track events. In deference to the known weaknesses of these cars, I installed a .5 liter deep sump and a Motorsport AOS. That done (along with some nice performance mods and obsessive attention to maintenance), I set out for the track. Given the horror stories, I half expected to blow the thing up the first time out. Or maybe even on the drive to the first event.:)

Though I'm a decent, pretty smooth driver (15 years as an instructor), I'm pretty merciless on my track cars, and this one was no different. I whipped it hard, upshifting at or near redline on every shift, late braking, grinding as many g's as I could out of the R-compounds, and generally hooning around.

Well, guess what? The car worked virtually without a hitch, some days running as much as eight 20-minute sessions in a single day, usually with temps in the upper 80s. The one tiny glitch all season was a CEL. A scanner reported that the car had experienced an "implausible airflow reading" in the intake tract. This came on a day when I was running in sport mode on the sport chrono. I think the increased airflow from the ipd plenum and GT3 throttle body confused the computer. The code cleared and did not return.

I concluded from all this that, although failures do indeed occur, these cars are pretty bulletproof. Moreover, the car was amazingly thrifty on things like tires and brake pads. Although the brakes were a bit mushy by day's end, they were still fine, even after I had given student rides (which I generally try to avoid doing). By comparison, my previous track Porsche, a pretty wild 2500 lb gutted and caged 944 with a 968 engine, ate front brake pads and front tires at a furious rate, and the pedal was generally soft as a bowl of oatmeal by the day's end. As a sweet added plus, the Cayman, at full stock weight, ran 5 seconds faster around the track than my old 944 did.

The moral of this story is: if you have a Cayman and want to track it, I say go ahead. Yes, it might break, but so might any car (I've seen a ton of C6 and even some C7 Corvettes blow up, and don't get me started on how many dead Nissan GTRs I've seen towed in on a hook). Porsches are born to run, and run hard. Don't worry. Be happy.

Terry

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Right on, only Springsteen said it better! I feel like my car looks at me sometimes and says "is that all you got?" :cheers:

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,632 Posts
I felt exactly the same way about my 07, it's a Porsche, I've done the right oiling mods and it's not going to happen to me. Two blown engines later I have a slightly different perspective!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I'm sure it can happen, but I'm just not going to worry about it. My overall attitude is that you should never track a car that you can't afford to lose anyway, so . . .

Terry

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,632 Posts
It can and does happen due to marginal engineering by Porsche. But I'm in total agreement with you about self insuring the car. I'm happy Porsche made the necessary improvements in the DFI engines to reduce the chances of destroying an engine on track.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Diverdog, Did you really blow up two 987 engines? What failed? Was it oil related or something else?

I have a friend who lost engines in both his Boxster AND his 911. That's some bad luck there! Both had IMS failures.

Since all Caymans, even the GT4, are underpowered IMO, if/when mine blows up I'll go with a built 3.8 or 4.0 from Vision Motorsports or BGB. That will make it a nasty sleeper.

Terry

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,632 Posts
Yes, the first engine had a deep sump and motorsports AOS. The second was a TPC turbo with a stock lower end, deep sump, AOS and and an extra oil pump kit. They both lasted 25k miles. The third engine is a 4.0L turbo built by Vision that delivered 575 WHP.

The 07 CS is now a race only car with a twin turbo setup on the 4.0L. You can check out the build in the 987 competition threads.

Reactions: Arch

·
Incurable Gearhead
964 Posts
I've got 120 track days on a 2007 Cayman S. All instructor run group and driven hard. Engine has Mantis deep sump and Motorsport AOS.
I don't often watch these things all the way through.
Didn't want this one to stop!
:cheers:

·
Registered
865 Posts
Here's a short video I had posted on another forum when a new student had inquired about Summit Point. I was explaining that one of the keys to really any track is to maximize the length of the long straight. Note when the throttle goes on near the apex of turn 10 at SP and when braking ends near the apex of the next turn.

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,632 Posts
I've got 120 track days on a 2007 Cayman S. All instructor run group and driven hard. Engine has Mantis deep sump and Motorsport AOS.
[/YT]
That's pretty amazing Bill. I know a 2.7L that has maybe 140 days but no Gen 1 3.4's with near as many days as you. Do you ever think about a preemptive rebuild?

·
Registered
810 Posts
It's not fun if you're NOT all out! I've been flogging the crap out of my '10 Boxster S at time trials & autocross, and my '04 Boxster S before that. My 2010 has 95k miles and is bone stock aside from a front GT3 swaybar. Original shocks, original bushing, etc. Here's video of a run at a time trial at our local track earlier this year. This was on street tires (Dunlop ZII*) and still the OEM pads & fluid the dealer did for the prior owner. We've got another track attack coming up here in a few weeks; I've got better pads and tires now but still have complete confidence in tossing this car around with no engine mods whatsoever. I routinely take top index and 1st/2nd raw, I think in large part because I have so much confidence in this car that I can drive it like an autocross, even on the track.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Terry, Pacific Raceway reminds me of my old PA Hillclimb days except in your case the trees are further away. DD, I have been considering a rebuild or one of Vision's 3.6 or 3.8 crate motors. There's a 996 GTB-1 for sale locally with a relatively fresh Vision motor in it which is tempting. sjfehr, Flog On, looks like a very nice lap. My next event is Mid-Ohio, which will be the first time I ran it without the chicane prior to the keyhole.

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,632 Posts
Bill, I recently had the pleasure of picking up and test driving an 06 CS with a Vision 3.8L from Laguna to Vegas. It was one sweet ride. Such a nice wide power band. I was really impressed by the Vision modified trans linkage with a stock shifter. So tight and precise!

·
Registered
865 Posts
I just edited a video from earlier this year at Watkins Glen. I usually take it easy on the out lap or two especially when there is a lot of traffic. I gave the Corvette a point bye, then "Game On". Flogging Corvettes.

I'm having fun with my new video camera.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bill,

That Corvette must have thought you were a bumper sticker! What video recording software is that?

You run all the cool tracks I used to run back when I lived in VA and ran my 944/968. I loved the Glen. One time a good buddy was behind me in his RS America, and we had just taken the green after our warmups. He and I tended to run pretty similar lap times, but he was always a bit faster, so I decided to get a nice jump on him and make him work for it. I late braked T1, just a bit too hard, and this happened: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9WhAwpu0wQ Whoops! You can see him go by--he's the red car with the bug-eyed driver!

Terry

1 - 20 of 25 Posts