Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
23,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)

by: K-Man S

Description: As far as modifications go, this one surely has to be one of the easiest to accomplish. I was left with so much extra time on my hands that I decided to shoot some video as well. The process was so short that while I took a picture of the time on my sport chrono clock to show the start time, it was over so fast that I didn't think taking an end time shot was even relevant. Yes, really it's that easy.
So what does this part do? It stops that annoying cavitation effect that you get when you roll only one window down, in this case on a 981 Cayman GT4 but it is applicable to several new Porsches (see AWE's website for a complete list - link below). What happens is that when you roll the window down the pressure differential between the outside air and the inside of the cabin causes a resonance or pulsing of the pressures as they try to equalize that is downright annoying to the ear drums. There are a couple of ways you can alleviate or greatly diminish this effect and the method employed by the AWE Tuning Foiler is to disrupt the airflow over the side window and break up the pattern that causes the annoying sounds.
Although I did capture video of the pulsing effect prior to installing the AWE parts I found it difficult to capture on video as I suspect microphones are tuned to cancel out some of these effects naturally whereas our ear drums cannot. I certainly spent more time trying to capture it on video than I did actually installing the product. I am still going to shoot some additional post-install video and will update this article again after I upload that video to YouTube. In the mean time here is the install and pre-install video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUyYKRRcICM
INSTALLATION
Here is a picture of the box with the two parts, associated install hardware, and a sucker. I'm assuming the sucker is there to give you something to do while you do the install. Like the commercials of old, I don't think you are going to reach the center before the install is done unless you end up biting the sucker.

The first step is to use a plastic pry tool to pop off the cover on the inside door panel as show in this next picture:

Once that cap is popped off you can reach the single screw hidden behind it. Using a torx bit T-15 driver I removed the screw which allows you to remove the outer plastic piece that you need to replace with the new Foiler piece. You remove it by pulling upwards at an angle because the piece is held in by a clip near the top. The clip can be seen on the backside of the factory and foiler piece in an image further down in this article. The image below shows the factory piece and removed screw next to the new foiler piece.

Next all you have to do is turn over the foiler piece and attach the black plastic adapter arm to the backside of the piece using a screw provided in the kit. The new kits have this adapter arm keyed to only go on one way, in other words making it as easy as possible to get it right the first time. The next image shows the adapter arm installed with the provided small screw. You will repeat this process for both sides.

The adapter arm positions the receiving hole for the main screw to the same location as the original part. If you overlay one part on top of the other it becomes very obvious. The next step is to simply slide the new foiler piece onto the retaining clip on the outside of the car in a reversal of how you previously removed it. Once the piece has been pushed down on the retaining clip and the main screw reinstalled from the inside of the car you can then pop the inside retaining cap back into place and you are done. Here is what the finished piece looks like:

At this point you only need to repeat the same process on the passenger side of the car (in my case I started with driver side first) and that will take you even less time that the first side that you install. Next go out and drive and try rolling one window down or the other or both and listen for an improvement and very noticeable reduction in the amount of unpleasant buffeting and cavitation.
I will update this article shortly with some post install video
Additional install photos can be found in our Gallery Here: http://www.planet-9.com/gallery/browseimages.php?c=889

More...

1 - 1 of 1 Posts