Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a Dension Gateway 500 Lite (with Lightning adapter) from a board member and installed it on my 2008 Boxster base.
Now I have a really nice iPhone charger :). I press the "CD" button and the single CD plays.

My CDR-24 (Bose and no CD changer) does not recognize the Gateway 500 -- I know, because we need to go to a dealer and get them to program the CDR-24 to let it know there's a CD changer there.

So how do you ask for this at the service department? what verbiage do you use?

I said the word "aftermarket" and they immediately said they won't do it.
I then said that as far as they are concerned, let's just say I added an OEM CD changer and I just want you to program the CDR-24 to know there is now a CD changer present.
Even then, the guy was puzzled and said to bring the car in but there are no guarantees.

So for those of you that successfully got a Porsche dealer to program the CDR-24 to see the new CD changer (i.e., Gateway 500), what exactly did you say?

I hate that we are dependent on those dealers -- but oh well.

Thanks,
Dennis

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: For those that got Porsche to program a CDR-24 to "see" Dension Gateway 500

I saw a thread about someone adding a new CD changer. I took this from the PDF instructions and going to forward this to the dealer. But the service guy says that they have to account for the time someone takes to read a PDF.

I'm dealing with Porsche of Nashua, NH

-------
For further information and instructions on carrying out the menu items, see Workshop Manual

’911019 Removing and installing PCM display and operator control unit - section on "Programming”’.

9 Code CD changer.

9.1 Connect battery charger.

9.1.1 PIWIS Tester P 9718 must then be connected and ignition switched on.

9.1.2 Select "GATEWAY" control unit and "Coding" function selection. Press •F12“ to continue.

9.1.3 In the "Gateway coding" menu, select Required installed components lists and press •F8“ to change the CD changer coding to Installed.

9.1.4 Select "PCM 2.1" control unit and "PCM 2.1 MMI" function selection.

9.1.5 In the "PCM 2.1 MMI function selection" menu, select Planned & Actual configuration and check that the CD changer is configured.

9.1.6 In the "PCM 2.1 MMI Planned & Actual configuration" menu, press •F8“ to accept the mapping.

9.1.7 Read out fault memory and erase it if necessary.

9.1.8 Switch ignition off and disconnect PIWIS Tester P 9718 .

9.1.9 Disconnect battery charger.

9.2 Perform a function test.

·
Registered
51 Posts

Interestingly, my Porsche dealer in PA installed my Dension 500S-BT however not without a little drama. Finally got everything working satisfactorily and then my CDR-24 took a dump! So, ripped everything out and put in a new Pioneer AVH-2330 so the Dension is now available for $150 if anyone is interested. Works great and have everything already boxed up including instructions for installation and owners manual. My current Porsche dealer in SC wouldn’t even look at the Dension!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Interesting.

I called two dealers in my area. Both did not know what I was talking about. To one of them, I offered to send the .pdf with instructions on how to code a Tequipment CD changer using a PIWIS and then he said he can give the .pdf to his shop foreman but he has to account for the time used to read it. I nicely countered that I feel like I should not have to pay them to learn something they should already know how to do. I never sent the .pdf because they said they were booking out about 3 weeks from now (too far and by that time it may be snowing). I was still sugar sweet in case I need them in the future.

I called another dealer and they had no idea what I wanted them to do. He said just bring the car in and we'll take a look but no guarantees. I have a feeling they may have figured it out but that one is close to an hour away from me and I would have to find sometime away from work to make that happen.

I ended up going to a local foreign car shop that works with Porsches. The guy there knew exactly what I was talking about but said that he didn't have a PIWIS but had an "Auto logic" that was no longer supported. Since my car is close to 10 years old, we agreed that he'd give it a try and if it didn't work out, he would not charge me due to not having the right equipment. The service guy gave it a try and got error codes, etc. I told him that what I wanted was to be able to press the CD button and have it go to the CD changer, etc. He then tried again and supposedly got it to work. I asked how does he know it worked and he said that he didn't get back any error codes. So I pick up the car tomorrow and will try my iPhone to see if it plays.

Certainly, having to deal with getting a Porsche dealer to program the radio is a big downside for these kinds of aftermarket upgrades.
But I'm trying to stay positive because if my music sounds better than FM transmitter quality, I will be quite happy. I considered going with a new head unit but it was quite expensive to justify.
Hopefully, if we get enough folks installing this kind of thing, coding a CD changer won't be so foreign to the dealers.

I will update tomorrow.

Dennis

ps. Just for the record, I had the CDR-24 has "no sound" symptom during my installation including "PROTECT" on the screen. But after overnight and cycling locking/unlocking/openingDoor, etc. the problem persisted. In my case, the issue was that the installed Gateway 500 was not getting power. So, light was going in but not coming out and so no sound. I took my meter and went through all connections to find the loose wire and fixed it and then the sound came back.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

My Gateway 500 Lite with Lightning adaptor works. They successfully coded it. I press the CD button and can cycle through CDS and CDC. On CDC, my iPhone 6s plays music.

My use case is really to just play Spotify, Google Play Music, Pandora, and Apple Music player. Each of these works and using the right side knob, I can go forward/back to next/previous song.

I most likely will never use the playlist function where each playlist acts like a CD.

So these guys did not have a PIWIS but had what they called an "Auto Logic" and they had to fiddle with it to figure it out but they got it to work. It cost 1 hour of labor.

Now I'm thinking about that Bluetooth adapter...

·
Registered
89 Posts

Did you ever end up getting a bluetooth adapter? I'm trying to add bluetooth to my CDR24 with Bose, and want the cheapest way to get it with CD quality

·
Registered
2 Posts

Did you ever end up getting a bluetooth adapter? I'm trying to add bluetooth to my CDR24 with Bose, and want the cheapest way to get it with CD quality
There are a few MOST bus devices that will add bluetooth and aux and USB to your OEM setup. I just got one from MR12V. Just do a search online. It's less that $150 and gives you a clean optical connection to the BOSE amp.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi All,

Im getting some service done on my 06 987 with Bose and have asked them to enable the CDC so that I can connect one of these MOST Bluetooth devices. My question.. Do you need to have the device in the MOST loop when they are enabling the CDC or should I leave it out? I know sometimes foreign devices in the loop can cause programming issues.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a similar experience with a dealership in South Jersey having no idea what I was talking about. I was pretty surprised, but the Service Manager is a good guy so he personally went back and got the tech to play around with the PIWIS and found the setting. I hadn't installed the interface yet and they said the CDC setting wouldn't stay enabled without it, so I have to do the install first and then I can come back and they'll do it again. They are doing it at no charge as well. I'm hoping that the setting just didn't register, but once I get the device installed it will actually be enabled. We'll see.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts