Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on Cayman S's.

1. Any regrets? Sometimes wish it was a little quieter inside? I really wish I had the rumble of my old V8 here and there but then again, sometimes it was a bit much.

2. Anyone Dino? What's the avg. HP increase?

3. Avg. price? I know it varies on manufacturer but assuming installation is free for me, what am I looking at?

Thanks for answering. I know I could search but I'm just going for it this time. Maybe I can get all questions done in 1 shot. Thanks guys for a newb!

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
I don't have an S, but I do have an aftermarket exhaust on my 2.7. And every day that I drive it downtown Chicago to my parking garage, I love having the window down and hearing it in all its glory...

MaxSpeed NHP.

Not sure of the HP gain - great sound, and virtually no drone.

$1,200 or so. easy DIY install.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Yes, I found it to be a bit too loud for me on late night drives home after a long day at work. Somehow in the morning, when I was rested, I did not mind as much.

Gains with exhaust range from 10 to 20 HP. But more importantly all of them eliminate the nasty dip in torque at 3,500 RPM (Gen 1).

Most sell in Classifieds for $1,000, $1,500 new. If this is for the Gen 1 cars, look in Classifieds first.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Definately do not want it quieter and can't wait to put the windows down and blast through a tunnel.

However I could imagine that for some folks that use their cars as daily drivers (I don't) it may be a bit much. It depends on you as a person and your preferences though.....me, I want some noise when I'm driving the CS and when I want the quiet easy (a bit boring) life I take the Land Rover and crank up the Alpine system.

I am not sure how I'd feel with the Borla if I was back in a cold wet miserable European winter though as it might be a bit much over time, especially as a daily driver.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I've had my B&B exhaust in for 6+ months now I guess. At first I thought it was way too loud in the cabin but now I absolutely love the sound. Stock was way too quiet. Can't really comment on the rest as I did an SRP, ECU flash and headers all at the same time. I agree with others that say to check out the classifieds on this site first. I've seen some real bargains run through there.

·
Borlafide member of Northeast Group
789 Posts
1. Any regrets? Sometimes wish it was a little quieter inside? I really wish I had the rumble of my old V8 here and there but then again, sometimes it was a bit much. No, but my neighbors might...;) I have a Borla since Aug 08, and every day I turn the car on it brings a grin to my face....and every day I'm at a gas station, parking lot, etc...when I start the car, heads turn

2. Anyone Dino? What's the avg. HP increase? ...I don't know...300hp...but really I have no idea but it sure sounds faster.

3. Avg. price? I know it varies on manufacturer but assuming installation is free for me, what am I looking at? $1350...and for me it was a $200 install

·
Registered
65 Posts
My car has factory sports exhaust which is nice because in non sport mode it stays pretty quiet, but open up and is loud in sport mode. I can see where an aftermarket loud exhaust can get annoying everyday. I have an stage iii exhaust on my lotus and when doing really long drives it get hard to hear the radio after a while. For everyday driving, it would be a little much. For a weekend toy though, it is perfect. Love the sound.

·
Premium Member
3,810 Posts
I recently switched back to stock from my Fabspeed, because I got tired of the drone when cruising around town or on road trips - I have to say, I don't miss it under those circumstances.

I loved the sound on the track, and under WOT however. I am still waiting for someone to come out with an affordable (i.e. not Capristo) bimodal exhaust.

Anyone know what happened to B&B's plan for one?

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
My car just had the TPC turbo kit fitted - a new exhaust is part of the kit (it sounds great). This means that my < 8K miles Tubi may be in the classifieds soon. Not sure what the HP gain was, if any.

·
Caymaniac
5,658 Posts
Borla...no regrets...I like the drone and everything else about it. More power and 1MPG better on the highway. I love it. Most staisfying money spent in a long time, actually. I would do it immediately on my next car.

Paid $200 to have it installed. Which meant I had to drop the car off and let it cool down in the morning, and it was done by lunch.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Fabspeed here.

1) Regrets? Nope. I wish it was louder, but I never regretted buying it.
2) No Dyno
3) Prices have a large range. As for install, if the shop takes more than an hour to do the job for a catback install, go elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
If you want quiet sometimes and loud others check out the Capristo system. About the same as stock when valves closed and very loud when open. No regrets. Even closed I think it sounds a bit better than stock. And no drone at all when closed plus very little when open. So you can have the best of both worlds.

I didn't dyno but others who did report something like +27 Hp for full system. Look in the dyno forum. I think you'll find something for most of the exhausts mentioned.

Not sure what the current price is. Somewhere around $5K for full system, headers, racing cats and mufflers. I believe you can get it for a little less than half this for just cat back. There was a group buy going. Not sure if it's still open or not.

And do search for the thread on the 2008 Croctoberfest Exhaust shootout. I think you'll find much of what you want in that. There's even a video to go with it.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Yes, I found it to be a bit too loud for me on late night drives home after a long day at work.
+1 had Borla equipped for 6 months now and the only time I don't enjoy it is when I'm exhausted and just want some peace and quiet. Other than that its a true smile inducer and I have no regrets.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
the one thing that I CAN say is that the other posts on this board are correct, in that you really have to put some miles on the system before it "settles"...I have about 3,000 miles on my MaxSpeed NHP and it really seems to sound different now than when I first installed it - mellower.

The good thing about doing your own install is that you can do the "adjustments" yourself. I knew absolutely nothing about catbacks before starting this project, and ended up having to make about half a dozen "tweaks" to it to cure the occasional rattle. Haven't had any issues for the last 2,000 miles or so.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Had a Borla on a 2.7 Boxster for about 2k miles and went back to stock. Loved the sound of the Borla through the gears but couldn't take the drone at partial throttle tip-in in the 2200 to 2900 rpm range. That said I do think the stock exhaust is too quiet and more thought could have been given to the exhaust sound. I know BMW did silly tricks with ducting sound to the interior, but I owned a G35 and that had a great sound, due to exhaust tuning. So after I sold the Borla, I kept the funds in reserve for the next one, but haven't decided which one has the right mix.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1. Any regrets? Sometimes wish it was a little quieter inside? I really wish I had the rumble of my old V8 here and there but then again, sometimes it was a bit much. No, but my neighbors might...;) I have a Borla since Aug 08, and every day I turn the car on it brings a grin to my face....and every day I'm at a gas station, parking lot, etc...when I start the car, heads turn

2. Anyone Dino? What's the avg. HP increase? ...I don't know...300hp...but really I have no idea but it sure sounds faster.

3. Avg. price? I know it varies on manufacturer but assuming installation is free for me, what am I looking at? $1350...and for me it was a $200 install

I think I gotta get this done!

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
on Cayman S's.

1. Any regrets? Sometimes wish it was a little quieter inside? I really wish I had the rumble of my old V8 here and there but then again, sometimes it was a bit much.
Just had a prototype Borla with 4" tips installed on my Gen II 2009 CS. No regrets whatsoever. Yes, there's drone between 1800 and 2600 RPM, but a little adjustment in throttle actuation fixes the issue. Also, the sound that comes from the Borla is absolutely wonderful.

2. Anyone Dino? What's the avg. HP increase?
Not personally, but reports are that the gain from the Borla is around 20hp.

3. Avg. price? I know it varies on manufacturer but assuming installation is free for me, what am I looking at?
The cost of the exhaust will be more than the install. If you're savvy enough you can do it yourself. If you can get the install done for free, then you're looking around $1500-$2000+ for the exhaust, depending on the manufacturer.

I got my Borla for free, and installed by the mechanics at Borla HQ for free as well. Can't beat that. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts