Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • NOTICE - Before adding photos to posts on Planet-9, please review: Posting Photos on Planet-9

41 - 50 of 50 Posts
Re: Ford GT350: too big for me

so i drove the GT-350 R version today :) 2013 CS for sale !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so i think bigger is better in this case ... 64 k for a monster of a beast and it looks awesome IMO .. no radio ,no ac . sorry P car you have met your match

Discussion starter · #42 ·

so i drove the GT-350 R version today :) 2013 CS for sale !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so i think bigger is better in this case ... 64 k for a monster of a beast and it looks awesome IMO .. no radio ,no ac . sorry P car you have met your match
very interesting, so you have a 2013 CS?
what did you like more about the Gt350?

If you get the R version for $64k you getting a deal. Very limited. Only way dealers get them was from a lottery and most all that won are asking thousands over msrp.

Looks like I spoke too soon the MSRP on the R version i drove is 64,000 ,the dealer wants 25K over sticker so 89.000.00 -I offered 10K over and they laughed at me and told me to hit the road :(

My car in the backdrop, and the 2016 GT350 in the foreground.

I consider myself very lucky to have driven this Shelby, given that no dealer will let you near one. And professional journalists aside, I can't think of many non-owners who've had a crack at this thing. As a potential buyer, I've been looking forward to this one for a loooong time. Even better, I had the benefit of (what felt like) my own personal empty, barely one car length wide road full of corners, bumps, and straights to test this thing out. Not some lame-*** dealer test drive around the corner. The owner let me nail it.

Fortunately, not being a professional, I don't feel obligated to bore you with pretense (i.e., FPC, blah blah blah). Screw the foreplay, let's get to the sex.

[Caveat: The owner hit the dreaded "limp mode" (where non-Track Pack equipped cars suffer transmission overheating) driving on the highway to meet me that day. Not a good sign. Fortunately, the car cooled off enough that all systems were go when I got my turn on the winding driving roads. Since the owner plans on trading it in for a 2017 (in which the Track Pack coolers come standard equipment), he had no problem with me goosing it (and I personally did not see it overheat).]

- It looks the business, from every angle. Fantastic, purposeful looking car. I'm not normally a fan of black cars, and in photos I thought black with white stripes was a bit dull, because the opposite colour pinstripe is lacking, but even in this combination, there is no denying how excellent this thing looks.
- Too bad the body writes checks the interior can't cash. Same basic interior as a 30k EcoBoost Mustang... in a car costing 75k. This was a tech pack car, and as such, did not have the Recaros but rather the alcantara/leather seat combo. They are comfortable enough, and supportive in cornering. I'm sure the Recaros are even better for track duty, but I think for a daily driver these would be better. Also, they improve the overall look of this otherwise dark, monochromatic cabin.
- I really like the alcantara-wrapped steering wheel.
- Door panels are cheap hard plastic. NOTE: for 2017, the GT350 will have the option of the higher quality door cards you currently find in the Mustang GT premiums, provided you fork over the 4000 required for either option package.
- How to sell this car to my wife: the owner had a rear-facing baby seat on the passenger side. Excellent!
- I appreciate Ford giving owners the option of quiet vs loud with the exhaust. Let me make this simple: choose "quiet" only if you care about not annoying your neighbours at 7 am. Choose "loud" for everything else. This car has a mean, purposeful sounding idle.
- You knew this already, but it revs revs revs revs! Revs are fun, but...
- Jesus this is a heavy flywheel (as evidenced by how slow the revs rise or fall)! I mean, I understand why journalists (who have driven everything from a GT3 to a 458 Italia) claim this thing will rev forever. It's not actually that fast to redline.
- Sounds best on part throttle between 4-6 grand, where it makes that distinctive industrial era howl. At WOT at the higher end, it makes a pleasant enough noise, but not the sort that would have you reaching for 8 grand on the tach just to hear it over and over.
- Clutch is far too light for this car. I mean, it's a ****ing 3800 lb car with a high winding 5.2L engine, for God's sake. Ford, what WERE you thinking?
- I didn't actually notice the shifter, and I think I mean that in a good way. Action was solid and positive. Worlds better than the sluggish manual in the S197 GTs I've driven (I haven't driven a S550 GT yet).
- It bears the following similarity with my Porsche: the gearing is too damn ****ing long. You're in "impound the car" territory before you reach the top of 2nd gear. I understand this has its advantages on the track, so I'm not faulting Ford nor do I consider it a flaw, but I think it is a shame for anyone who really wants to enjoy all the car has to offer in spirited street driving.
- The steering wheel is alive in your hands, feedback is excellent.
- This means Ford solved the handling problem of a front heavy car with more rubber (295s up front). Fine, it turns great at speed. But you will feel every one of its 3800 lbs trying to brake before a corner (the back end wanted to step out on me more than once). Those 295s up front also mean something less enjoyable: the steering wheel tramlines like a sumbitch.
- Magnetic dampers provide excellent road manners even in "track mode" on bumpy, undulating pavement or turns with decreasing radii. This would make an excellent cruiser as well as canyon carver.

Verdict: everyone's in love with this car, and I so desperately wanted to be as well. And to its credit, I had just completed a run of those same roads in my car, with the top down, before I got into the Shelby, to provide a direct comparison, since the whole point of this exercise was to see if I wanted this car based on its back road manners. My car may be slower, but you want to reach for its "not exactly a slouch" 7800-rpm redline every single time you hit the go pedal because the sensation from the engine and exhaust reaches for your very soul. Being a convertible also means you feel like your going fast without necessarily having to go fast. My clutch is better/beefier. And I know where my money's gone when I sit in my car, unlike the Shelby. I think if I was a track rat OR it only cost 50-55k like in the US, OR if I didn't already own (IMO) the best damn sports car that exists, I would love the Shelby GT350. As it stands, I highly respect it, but I'm not in love with it, and Ford is smoking some serious **** if they think it's worth the same bucks as my car outside of its track prowess.

The above conclusion took me about a week to reach after I had driven the Shelby. For days I was conflicted... how could I not love a car receiving universal accolades for its driving spirit? On Friday, my last patient of the day drove up in one, and we talked for a long time about it. Turns out he's also a Ford regional manager, and he could put me through to a colleague (can't deal directly with patients!) at another location if I wanted to order one, possibly at a (small) discount. The stars were aligning for me to get this car... but I still wasn't gung-ho. My wife is currently away, so I know myself well enough that I would have ordered this car on the spot if I wanted it that badly (confession time: I ordered the Porsche while she was away in Korea).

Then I drove two more cars yesterday, one of which completely, utterly made me forget altogether about getting the Shelby.

To be continued.

Discussion starter · #46 ·

appreciate the candid fulsome review Spectre. I have to say I felt the same bewilderment about the C7, which was almost universally praised by journalists as much as the Gt350 when it first came out. Having owned one for three weeks, I can say that for me, the C7 couldn't hold a candle to my 981S for sheer driving pleasure. In a nutshell, it felt big, cumbersome and imprecise in so many ways. When I first got my 981S I had to talk myself out of contantly driving it whenever I had spare time, that never happened with the C7. In a matter of days, I was regretting my purchase and wanting my 981S back. And then I got one again :)

A very different vehicle than my 981CS, but I have to confess it has me intrigued. Its size and weight may ultimately disqualify it, but my reaction to this car is pretty positive...
Absolutely agree 100%. I give a ton of credit to Ford (as well as Chevy for the Z28) for making cars that can turn as well as go fast in a straight line.

I think, for example, the GT350 is a more interesting car than say... an M4. It feels like BMW has been heading more towards muscle cars (albeit reasonably well appointed and leather clad muscle cars). While Ford and Chevy have been hard at working offering packages that can turn and be enjoyable in the mold of a proper Grand Tourer.

Also agree the weight is a concern from an enjoyment on track and cost of depreciables stand point, but probably the first Mustang that would be personally interesting to me to drive and maybe own. I even spent some time looking at aftermarket interior upgrades (of which there are plenty) which would make the Mustang better appointed. More Aston, less cheap plastic if you will.

appreciate the candid fulsome review Spectre. I have to say I felt the same bewilderment about the C7, which was almost universally praised by journalists as much as the Gt350 when it first came out. Having owned one for three weeks, I can say that for me, the C7 couldn't hold a candle to my 981S for sheer driving pleasure. In a nutshell, it felt big, cumbersome and imprecise in so many ways. When I first got my 981S I had to talk myself out of contantly driving it whenever I had spare time, that never happened with the C7. In a matter of days, I was regretting my purchase and wanting my 981S back. And then I got one again :)
Different strokes for different folks, is all I can say. No doubt the GT350 is an amazing car in its own right, but as I'm looking for a companion, not a replacement to my 981, I can't do it. I just didn't love it.

It's funny you mention your take on the C7, because I drove one (again) just a few days ago, and I have to say.... my mileage did vary from yours: it left an indelible smile not just on my face, but on my soul. It was, IMO, just so satisfying in ways both the GT350 AND 981 are not (but for very different reasons than the 981). It also shrank at speed on narrow windy bits. I'll put up my review of it (and a Camaro SS) in a different thread soon enough, but I have to say: I'm pretty sure I want to park a C7 in the garage next to the Porsche.

Reactions: Rthresh

The one review I read said the oil temps climbed uncomfortably high during testing. No limp mode as Spectre describes but it was concerning to the testers. If the Track Pack is more than just tranny cooling maybe it will help.

Hopefully, dealers will stop charging above sticker for it and it will be an excellent bargain. If not, I'd be happy with a Roush S/C Mustang GT :D In black, please.

I will never pay over sticker for a car. I just can't. There are too many great cars out there and dealers who would be happy to have my money for me to take one up the butt for the hottest new Ford or Chevy offering.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.