Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a journal to chronicle placing the order, taking delivery, and (ultimately) ownership of the Cayman. Instead of creating a new thread for every observation or photo set, I’ll just continue to post updates to this thread.

I first became aware of the 981 generation Cayman by way of this “leaked” photo of a lightly-camo’d car, just previous to its release in November 2012, at the L.A. Auto Show:
(I’m sure many of you remember seeing this same photo back then!)

Being a naturally frugal person, my original chosen spec in April 2013 was a White 2.7 with just two options: Convenience Package and Sport Design Wheel. But thanks to all of you kind and caring folks (read: enablers), I incrementally added to that spec over the ensuing year, eventually deciding on the 3.4 with a longer list of options.

In April 2014, I started shopping around with the local dealers. I’m very lucky to live in an area of the country that has 8 local dealers. In July, I struck a great deal with Sonnen in Marin, and on the 22nd of that month placed a deposit on my order.

This was exciting! For the first time in my life, I’m custom ordering a car.

Spec’d the 2015 Cayman S follows:
  • Guards Red
  • Manual Transmission
  • Sport Suspension
  • Sport Chrono Package
  • Sport Exhaust System
  • Sport Seats Plus (2-way)
  • Sport Design Steering Wheel
  • 20" Carrera S Wheels
  • Wheels Painted in Platinum Satin
  • Convenience Package
  • (non)Smoking Package
Went into production on 9/02.

Date completed 9/17.

Arrived at Emden 9/19.

Got on the boat (Hestia Leader) on 10/09.

Arrived at San Diego on 11/04.

Arrived at Dealer on 11/07.

Picked-up on 11/08.

Some thoughts on three things I was concerned about before delivery, that after delivery I realized are non-issues:

• I’ve read magazine reviews that complained about a lack of a reverse-lock-out on the shifter, making it difficult to determine 1st from reverse. No issue with this at all, at least on my car. It takes a good strong concerted effort to the left to engage reverse. Perfect.
  • Many members here have expressed reservations about the standard gray-faced tachometer, and issues over legibility in different lighting conditions. I was conflicted because there was no option for black, and I was not interested in other colors. Turned-out to be another non-issue. It’s very easy to read, regardless of time of day or night.
  • After driving it just a few hundred miles, I cannot see the issue that same have raised over the car’s gearing. Other owners have mentioned that the car is geared too high, yet I find the gearing and gear spacing to be just fine.
That’s it for now, but as I’ve mentioned, I will update this thread in the future with additional impressions.

Onto the pics…

First "teaser" pic from the dealer:

At Delivery:

Proud new owner behind the wheel for the first time:

Parked at home, ready to pop the bubbly (a '99 Le Rêve, for those Champagne buffs out there):

Lastly, the car's first bath, this morning:

·
Registered
143 Posts
really sweet. congratulations :D

·
Registered
706 Posts
Very nice ride. Looks eerily similar to mine. :cheers:

·
Registered
106 Posts
great looking car.... and the coated garage floor ain't too shabby either!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
...and the coated garage floor ain't too shabby either!
That was part of how I passed the time while I waited: researching, buying, and installing the epoxy flooring!

(Epoxy-Coat, 100% solids, is the way to go!)

·
Registered
106 Posts
That was part of how I passed the time while I waited: researching, buying, and installing the epoxy flooring!

(Epoxy-Coat, 100% solids, is the way to go!)
PRIORITIES! Cheers!

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Great journal. Enjoy and use in good health. :cheers: :beer:

·
Registered
266 Posts
Nice car! Almost the twin of mine in looks. :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Congrats!! Thats a beautiful car and a great color combo! Time to fill up that 'To Do' list you've got in your garage with mods. ;)

·
Registered
948 Posts
I love your colors and thanks for posting the pics and story. Seeing the picture of the car really hit home - washing it was my favorite past time on my guards red CS - I only had the car for a year but washed over 40 times! Congrats!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
First update already!

I decided to go with Xpel Ultimate PPF (paint protection film) aka clear bra.
The installation was earlier today.

From what I understand, it takes about 48 hours for the minor streaking to work itself out, but so far I am impressed with this product.
Just the front clip, forward of the doors. So that's full fenders, full hood, and of course full front bumper.

Two photos from the installation, which was performed by Elite Auto Films in Fremont, CA.

First impressions (just a couple hours in....), you cannot see this clear bra unless you are right on top of the car and looking for it. Very happy with this so far.

Reactions: Midnight Blue

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Awesome! I really need to finish my garage now. :)

·
Noob
857 Posts
Nice car! Wish I had a/that driveway

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Hey formisano,
Lovely car!

I saw your car there at Elite yesterday. I work down the road from them. Elite did my WRX and my Cayman GTS. Great bunch of guys there.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Another Update and more pics....

Took a nice long drive today with fellow Planet9 member mcomet.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
That's a whole lot of gorgeous pictures!!! Very nice, and thanks for sharing!!

I laughed when I saw the giant "Lick Observatory" sign. :D I feel like there should be a smaller one somewhere that says "(Please don't lick the observatory.)" :D

1 - 20 of 62 Posts