Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Can anyone who has attended this event lay out the details for getting tickets, hotels reservations and stuff? Let me daydream for a bit...

·
Premium Member
4,144 Posts
I'm planning on going with two others. I haven't been there before but I've looked into it in previous years and getting tickets and hotel can be 'interesting'. Right now I'm starting to look at a package for about $1300 for four nights accommodation and gold tickets in front of the pits. The hotel is easy walking distance to the Metro station which is only one stop from the track.

Compare that to when I went to the Indy F1 in past years where tickets and hotel were a bit less than half of that (and not through a pkg deal). But then that race could never sell out because of the seating capacity, of course.

Like the OP says, would like to hear from some veterans of this race as to the logistics.:cheers:

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Can anyone who has attended this event lay out the details for getting tickets, hotels reservations and stuff? Let me daydream for a bit...
We went in 08 and had a great time. In order to maximize our experience, (and make it more enticing to Christine) we booked through GPTours. You have options of hotels and grandstand locations. I think the section we chose was Silver. It was in Turn 2 where you could see the cars coming down the front staight, through turn 1, 2 and down the next straight as well as coming out of the pits. (As you may recall, this is the race where KImi was coming out of the pits, saw the red light, stopped and Lewis Hamilton ran into the back of him and took them both out. Kubica went on to win). Anyway, The GPTours package includes tickets for Friday practice, Saturday Qualifying and Sunday of course. Also events on both Friday and Saturday nights. Friday was a cocktail party hosted by Peter Windsor and a Q and A with Mark Weber. Saturday was a charity auction with Jackie Stewart as guest speaker. Historic Downtown Montreal has great nightlife too.

Dream away....
Grand Prix Tours | Canadian Grand Prix Tours Packages Hotels and Tickets

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the link. A pre-packaged tour seems to be the way to go for an event like this.

Dreaming real hard, maybe some of the retired folks here will adopt me! :hilarious:

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
These things can certainly be done on a budget. For instance, I know a guy who has done Montreal a bunch of times. He drives up with his buddies and they rent dorm rooms at the university.

I went to the Indy 500 6 years in a row with the same group of frinds when I was younger. We would rent an RV, drive out and pay to park in a field directly across from the track. Then we would just buy tickets from a "re-seller" on a street corner. If you were willing to pay 2X face value you could sit just about anywhere you wanted. Of course, this was pre-split of the series when the only tickets one could buy legitimately were "in field". And then it would take at least 3 years of renewing to get an upgrade to decent seats.

Reminds me of a story.....After a couple years of dealing with disgusting porta-potties at the Indy "Water tower" camp ground, I had one of my best ideas ever. I walked to a nearby hardware store and purchased a hasp, self tapping screws, a driver and pad lock (for which I got 6 keys made). We scoped out the cleanest unit, installed the lock set and put an "out of order" sign on it...worked like a charm for the next few years. :cheers:
In fact I ran across the kit not too long ago in my basement and had a laugh. Ahhh...Good times

·
Registered
583 Posts
been there for a Champ car race, amazing venue! I checked prices for the W hotel right by the trainstation for those dates..........$800 CDN a night :crazy:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts