Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Administrator
34,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any demos for Forza 3 or for Shift out yet? I know both games are being released in a couple of months. What's so funny was that the Gran Turismo 5 advocates were saying 2 years ago how it was going to blow Forza 2 out of the water and here we are 2 years later and still no GT5 on the market and now Forza 3 and Shift are coming out ahead of it. While I'm sure GT5 will sell some copies, I can almost hear the "thud" in terms of sales vs. forecast for it, such a shame if it had come out 2 years ago as promised it would have been in a better economy and likely would have been better than other driving games at the time, now it looks like Forza 3 and Shift will both be better than GT5.... I think someone missed the "time to market" lesson at Sony... :)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Forza 3 exclusively for XBox...I knew sooner or later there would be reason to get one. I guess the PS3 will be taking a vacation...

What gives with GT5 anyway? You think they've had scope creep and are just trying to stuff too much into it? I mean...NASCAR...really? The off-road stuff looks cool...

·
Registered
206 Posts
I think GT5 is scheduled to be released in Oct/Nov (in the UK). I am avid follower of the GT series but delay of GT5 led me to the discovery of Forza (which I am grateful for). It will be interesting to see how the physics compare on GT5 vs Forza3.

·
Registered
975 Posts
While I'm sure GT5 will sell some copies, I can almost hear the "thud" in terms of sales vs. forecast for it, such a shame if it had come out 2 years ago as promised it would have been in a better economy and likely would have been better than other driving games at the time, now it looks like Forza 3 and Shift will both be better than GT5.... I think someone missed the "time to market" lesson at Sony... :)
I put far too many hours into Forza 2 and am looking forward to doing the same with Forza 3. I'll pick up Shift to see what its about, but imagine most of my time will be spent in Forza. I agree with GT5, I've played through the prologue and can't see why they are taking so long to put the bow on the finished product. The tracks that exist the game seems to be fully functional, no bugs or graphics errors to complain about.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Forza is more of a sim racer than an arcade style game. It's not a hardcore sim, so it's easy to just jump in, turn on traction control, ABS, stability management and the racing line.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Yeah Forza competes with the GT series in terms of realistic physics and is a racing simulator game, but not so sim to the point where its impossible. None of the flying into a hairpin at 180mph and letting the guard rail bump you around stuff. Car's take damage and going off the track or trying to drive through sandtraps brings your car to a near stop. Because of this you're forced to learn the correct lines in corners which makes for overall better racing. Couple other things Forza brings to the table, each car is fully customizable, everything from performance to custom paint/vinyl work. Its amazing what some of the artistically gifted people are able to put on their cars with a few polygon shapes. Here's one of my cars from Forza 2, a friend did the artwork:

·
Caymaniac
5,658 Posts
Has Forza2 finally come out with a decent wheel/pedal combo with force feedback?

Until then, GT is the way to go. I just earned my Ferrari F1 car.

Wow.

·
Administrator
34,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Has Forza2 finally come out with a decent wheel/pedal combo with force feedback?

Wow.
Uh hello, the Xbox 360 has had a great force feeback wheel and pedal combo for years. As a matter of fact the one I have for GT5 is still sitting in the box, a fathers day present in 07 I think...

·
Caymaniac
5,658 Posts
Uh hello, the Xbox 360 has had a great force feeback wheel and pedal combo for years. As a matter of fact the one I have for GT5 is still sitting in the box, a fathers day present in 07 I think...
Which one do you use for Forza? I can't find anything close to my G25. The one made for 360 is the one I have. The Logitech one with the Xbox logo? It isn't close to the G25 IMO. Forza2 is a better game, though.

The Porsche wheel has been out for a long time, actually for PS3/PC at least. My brother has one. Very, very nice looking. I had just bought my G25 when that came out a couple of years ago.

Forza3 should be great. I better go drive a little before bed. :)

GT5 Prologue is kind of pointless except for running circles around people in my F1 car.

·
Registered
206 Posts

Wow.

Microsoft Xbox 360 wireless racing wheel/pedal combo is out there. It has force feedback.

I saw some trailers for Forza3 and GT5. GT5 is totally sublime from a visual graphics perspective...It would be bitterly disappointing if the gameplay wasn't of the same quality.

·
Caymaniac
5,658 Posts
Microsoft Xbox 360 wireless racing wheel/pedal combo is out there. It has force feedback.

I saw some trailers for Forza3 and GT5. GT5 is totally sublime from a visual graphics perspective...It would be bitterly disappointing if the gameplay wasn't of the same quality.
I have that wheel. It is nothing close to the G25 wheel. It doesn't give the same feedback, nor does it give the "simulator" experience. I may have referred to it as not having force feedback, because in my mind, it just doesn't compare.

Just my opinion. I have two Sparco driving cockpits with XBox 360 / PS3 and two networked PS2's for head to head. Each sits in front of a 42 inch display. Head to head is awesome.

GT4 on PS2 is still a better simulator than Forza2 despite the primitive graphics (compared to Forza2)...because of the controls. Laguna and Infineon are the two tracks I drive in the real word and on GT4 you really can improve your driving.

I don't have a bias...I will plug in whatever works. Just my 1 cent. (I have to save the other penny for taxes.)

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Dammmn!!! I'm jealous now...:drivingskid::drivingskid:
Me too! I have all the current gaming platforms, and will prob. buy both Forza 3 and GT5 when they hit the shelves.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Has anyone played Shift yet? I'm pondering over whether to get it or not. Most of the reviews I've read are favourable but I'm still getting the impression it is still abit arcadey compared to Forza and GT?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Has anyone played Shift yet? I'm pondering over whether to get it or not. Most of the reviews I've read are favourable but I'm still getting the impression it is still abit arcadey compared to Forza and GT?
Yes, I bought it last week. Quite frankly, it's terrible. FWIW, I love racing games more on the sim side. No matter how they're marketing it, it's very arcadey, and not a good driving experience IMO. I'm quite disappointed.

The Forza 3 demo just came out today. I tried it for an hour or so, and it looks to be a much better experience on the physics side of the game. The demo is not very full, though, so impressions on the depth of the game will have to wait. I've owned both Forza and Forza 2, though, and I can say that both of those were very deep, engaging games so I'm guessing FM3 will be too.

To answer the original question, absolutely hold off and get Forza 3.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I tried out the Forza 3 demo this morning. The physics do feel very different, but in a good way. Stock tires in Forza 2 were atrocious, even for the exotics with expensive real world rubber. The Flying Lizard GT3-RSR feels so much better compared to the forza 2 version. Just switch to cockpit mode, turn off the game hud and enjoy. :banana:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts