Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator
34,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to put a plug for this game out there after having played it some this past holiday weekend. The graphics and physics were awesome and the new feature of drivatars is incredibly cool. I also like the fact that I can adjust the difficulty of the opponents I face and those opponents are based on real people not just computer sims. It is also fun to find people you know online and race against their drivatar. Me thinks T.Faust wouldn't be happy to know that I smoked him at Laguna Seca! :hilarious:

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I just wanted to put a plug for this game out there after having played it some this past holiday weekend. The graphics and physics were awesome and the new feature of drivatars is incredibly cool. I also like the fact that I can adjust the difficulty of the opponents I face and those opponents are based on real people not just computer sims. It is also fun to find people you know online and race against their drivatar. Me thinks T.Faust wouldn't be happy to know that I smoked him at Laguna Seca! :hilarious:
Help-out a fan who is wayyy out of the loop... :gossip:

I gave-up video games 15 years ago, but I'd love to buy Forza 5 and get back into it. Problem is I only have an hour or two once a week and don't want to spend 50 hours working my way up from a Civic to Corvette driving every stupid car in-between before I unlock the cars and tracks that I really want to drive.

Has any video game maker catered to my adult demographic? I'm not really looking to play against other players either, I'm looking for an hour of relaxation with a choice of the worlds best cars and circuits... that I can be up and running with-in 5 minutes of turning my TV on.

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts

I gave-up video games 15 years ago, but I'd love to buy Forza 5 and get back into it. Problem is I only have an hour or two once a week and don't want to spend 50 hours working my way up from a Civic to Corvette driving every stupid car in-between before I unlock the cars and tracks that I really want to drive.

Has any video game maker catered to my adult demographic? I'm not really looking to play against other players either, I'm looking for an hour of relaxation with a choice of the worlds best cars and circuits... that I can be up and running with-in 5 minutes of turning my TV on.
If you've got a Playstation 3, you might take a look at Gran Turismo 5. If you don't want to play the career/'grind' mode there's an arcade mode where you can choose from a large stable of cars and tracks.

Gran Turismo 6 will be out in 2 weeks as well.

·
Administrator
34,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Yes Forza 5, not only can you artificially speed up career advancement and get more cars if you choose to, but also right now this very minute my drivatar is online competing against other players and earning me points even though my Xbox one isn't on. GT6 is nowhere near as good as Forza 5 despite being 1 number higher.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
Ahhhh Ken....opening up the Forza vs. GT can of worms again I see. This argument is just like the MT vs. PDK wars :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Exceptional improvement in the driving engine fidelity and feedback, massive step backwards in content and progression. All in all, a mixed bag. I have a couple of buddies at Turn 10 and have been f-ing with builds for a while, but I'm not sold on this as the true successor to 4.

I'd love to give you good news about prying a p-car license out of EA's hands, but I don't have any for you.

Forza 5 Free Mode lets you just grab a car and go. The selection isn't universal, but it's pretty diverse. If there's something specific in the roster you want and you don't want to throw time at acquiring it, you can buy it with tokens instead of credits, which are available from MS at a nominal fee. I'd complain about being nickeled and dimed, but one needs to have a sense of context about these things >.>

·
Registered
227 Posts
I just got Need for Speed Rivals. The first car you start with is a 981CS and you can customize it! So fun!

·
Registered
339 Posts
That's because EA made some sort of Devil's deal with Porsche and they are the sole licensee of Porsche cars in video games.

I'm just glad I finally found a Cayman for Rfactor.

I just got Need for Speed Rivals. The first car you start with is a 981CS and you can customize it! So fun!

·
Premium Member
3,552 Posts
Yes Forza 5, not only can you artificially speed up career advancement and get more cars if you choose to, but also right now this very minute my drivatar is online competing against other players and earning me points even though my Xbox one isn't on. GT6 is nowhere near as good as Forza 5 despite being 1 number higher.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
For the millions of people that already have a PS3 (which is two numbers higher than the Xbox One despite being a generation older), the cost of entry for GT6 (when it is released to the public) is much lower than Forza 5 given that you don't have to buy a $500 system to play it.

With the PS4 units out already, you ought to be able to pick up a used PS3 for a song.

As an aside, besides the ultra expensive Fanatec units, what are the best wheels for xboxes?

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
The new Driveclub game for PS4 looks promising too, with more social aspects and online gaming if you're into that sort of thing.

·
Administrator
34,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks like Porsche cars aren't exclusive to EA games anymore.
Nope, look closely at the :58 mark, that's NOT a Porsche, that's a RUF, same thing that comes in Forza 5 since EA and Porsche won't license to others currently...

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
Yup it's a RUF. As foo-fighter said, EA is the one holding everyone but themselves back from using P-cars in their games. It's been a real sore spot for both Xbox and Playstation gamers.

Incidentally, anyone remember "Porsche Challenge" on the original Playstation? 986 racing!

·
Caymaniac
5,658 Posts
The key to these games IMO are the controllers available. I have driving cockpits.

What wheel/pedals are best for Forza 5?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sadly, most existing wheels (G27 for instance) won't work, which is a bummer. Thrustmaster TX seems to be the main route for the moment.

That said, the controller experience is pretty impressive - they route an awful lot of feedback into your palm through the internal vibes and the two new ones in the triggers (which are your throttle and brakes). I think I could do it this way long term. Plus, I've already dumped way too much money into my flight sim rig . . .

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
I've heard a LOT of people are quite angry about Microsoft's blatant money-grabbing in Forza 5. So much so that they've already put in some special deals and discounts and stuff, though all that has an expiration date.

The whole thing just rubs me the wrong way. GT5 was BRUTAL when it came to grinding out XP to move up in the later levels... but it was what it was. Nobody thought they made it harder just to coax more money out of you to pay to get by it.

Forza 5 SHOULD be better than GT6, but I'm hugely looking forward to GT6 anyway. And GT7 should be better than them all. When it comes out in 6 years or so. :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Enjoy spending 70$ to get 1/2 the game then expect to pay for their DLC to get cars you want to drive and more tracks. Pass on Forza.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts