Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Similar, but not the same, as similar post on hvac smell.......

Several months ago, my '07 CS began to develop a musty odor coming from the vents, usually when I started the car in the morning. The smell was not chemical-like as in prior posts but musty or urine smelling. It progressively got worse. The smell would fade after a few minutes of driving with the windows open and the fan on.
I figured it was the cabin filter since it was due for service. Well, the service has been completed and the smell is still there, although not quite as bad.
I read somewhere that this could be caused by fungi or bacteria buildup in the a/c system when condensation remains in the lines after the car is shut off and may also occur on humid mornings. I don't know how the Cayman hvac system works so I don't know if this is possible and/or if the cabin air filter should take care of this. I think there is a product that you inject into the air intake which kills bacteria and fungi. Anyone know of this ? Where is the air intake on a Cayman ?
Any suggestions are explanations on what might be going on here ? TIA:)

·
On Probation
582 Posts
check some auto supply places,there is a spray can for that purpose. follow the directions. the air in take is on the pass. side cowl [open front trunk for better access] or maybe spray through filter intake

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
I first heard of this problem when a friend of mine bought a new VW Passat turbo... and it turned out to be well known among dealers who stock the cars for a long time in extremely humid hot conditions. The smell didn't go from the car no matter what he did until he handed over his car to the dealer back again and got the ventilation & A/C system washed before replacing the filters. And now it's gone!

The same thing happened with a colleague of mine with his GMC Acadia.

Good luck

·
Registered
149 Posts
Make a habit of turning off your A/C 5-10 miles before you arrive at your destination. If that doesn't get rid of the smell after a couple weeks, try a can of BG Frigi-Fresh. HTH. Dave

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I have the same thing in my 2010 CS. All winter, I haven't used the A/C but when summer came and I did start using it I started smelling it.

Spoke to the dealer, and he mentioned the fungi/bacteria in the system and they would clean it by next service.

We'll see.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update:

A couple weeks ago the dealer performed a full clean out of the a/c core at no charge (CPO Warranty:)). Ever since, it's been much better. Not exactly spring fresh as it can still get a little stuffy when starting in the hot/humid, but no musty smell anymore. Thanks for the replies.

·
On Probation
582 Posts
thanks for getting back

·
Registered
33 Posts
I used Kilma cleaner as described... up until the tube burst off the nozzle and flew deep into my center vent. Now I have their tube stuck in my vent and cannot even see the end of it.

Any suggestions on how to best remove this without a trip to the dealer?

·
Registered
732 Posts
I've used spray LySol a few times. Spray it in the outside air intake vent. Always turn off the A/C a mile or so before your final destination to let the condensation drain out.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Be sure that you don't use the recirculate button with the AC off (even using the AC with recirculate on should be avoided). This will allow condensation to accumulate in the ductwork and fungi to grow. A really stinky one is Cladosporium sphaerospermum. Odours will start within minutes of using the AC. Treatment with an antimicrobial will be needed. Turning off the AC before turning off the car is preventative but not remedial.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
One year update....

All is well. Evaporator canister was replaced a year ago. No issues since:)

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hello,

Several months ago, my '07 CS began to develop a musty odor coming from the vents, usually when I started the car in the morning. The smell was not chemical-like as in prior posts but musty or urine smelling. It progressively got worse. The smell would fade after a few minutes of driving with the windows open and the fan on.
I figured it was the cabin filter since it was due for service. Well, the service has been completed and the smell is still there, although not quite as bad.
I read somewhere that this could be caused by fungi or bacteria buildup in the a/c system when condensation remains in the lines after the car is shut off and may also occur on humid mornings. I don't know how the Cayman hvac system works so I don't know if this is possible and/or if the cabin air filter should take care of this. I think there is a product that you inject into the air intake which kills bacteria and fungi. Anyone know of this ? Where is the air intake on a Cayman ?
I've had this problem in other cars.
I have found the annual replacement of the A/C filter (takes 10 min and $20 in the Boxster if you do it yourself) along with spraynig the vent intakes with Lysol or Vent Cleaner prevents the problem.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I too had this odor. I did try the Lysol method as I have done on several cars, but this did not work. Just to help my fellow brothers. I found at NAPA part number 765-3141 "A/C Pro Evaporator Odor Eliminator"

With this device you have to access the drain of the evap under the car. I had to get a smaller tube and inserted it all the way in. Once in, you depress the can and the foam rushes inside. Let it sit for 15 minutes and presto you have a MUCH nicer a/c system!

Highly recommended!

·
Registered
371 Posts
I used Kilma cleaner as described... up until the tube burst off the nozzle and flew deep into my center vent. Now I have their tube stuck in my vent and cannot even see the end of it.

Any suggestions on how to best remove this without a trip to the dealer?
LOL... that's exactly what happened to me when I used it some years ago on my wife's Prius. In that case, the little tube just disappeared into the depths of the vent and is probably still in there somewhere. Sorry, no suggestions on how to remove it; if it happened with my Cayman I'd probably see if the dealer could get to it at the next scheduled service interval.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I wonder how many people have this issue because they drive into their garage with the AC on and their garage floor is slanted up and doesn't allow any water in the system to drain?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Special K, I agree, this smell is from fungus and bacteria build up and is very common in all cars. I have had excellent results spraying any Ozone-containing sprays (available in auto stores) into the interior air intake and then quickly putting the air into the recirculation mode for 5 to 10 minutes. This allows a concentrated recirculation of the ozone without any new outside air dillution within all internal air vents and will refresh until the next season. Michaelwalker123

Hello,

1 - 19 of 19 Posts