Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I finally found another car that looked better than the 06' that i had looked at and it specs out about how i would order a new one for alot less. A little history on the car so you experts can lead me in the right direction. The car is on a Carmax lot in New Mexico and is an 08 CS with 12K miles and is meteor grey with stone grey full leather interior with many other interior options. It has the PP+ package, 18" wheels, clear paint protection, alcantara headliner, full leather sport steering wheel, ect. The pics of the car look outstanding, and i got the guy to do a walk around on the phone to check for things in question from the pics i had. So, i took the next step. The way carmax works is that i could pay 349.00 to get them to ship the car to the nearest carmax to me, which is dallas, tx, where i can go inspect the car and if i like it, buy it, if not, walk and lose 349.00. The price is at 44k, which for this car seems like a good deal. The only thing the car does not have that i would like is SC and pasm, which i feel i can live without. What should i do from here to make sure i am getting a great car. The salesman in dallas that i have been dealing with assures me that there has been no paint work whatsoever and has been totally gone through with no problems. Also, a friend of a friend of mine owns a porsche dealer local to me that i got to pull the vin on the car and it showed no maintainence issues or problems on file. So, the car will be in dallas next week held for me until i go to check it out. What now? Hopefully this is it!!:cheers:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, its a 6 speed manual. I actually have the vin if anyone can do anything with it that will help.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Sounds like a nice car.

What warranty does Carmax offer on its vehicles?

If you want, fly out and take a look at it. Depending on deals you can probably find a round trip ticket for less than $349. If you like it, drive it home. Nice drive to get acquainted with it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The car will still have factory 3yrs, 30 days with Carmax, and 5 day return policy. Should I try to get a dme and ppi done in Dallas prior to purchase or do it locally within 5 days. What should keep me safe on this purchase?

·
Registered
433 Posts
How far are you from Dallas?
Have you seen the carfax?
Balance of factory warranty. 30 day warranty 5 day return policy. If there is no fine print, buy it and take it to the dealer that will service it in the future. Use your 5 days to be sure. I am no Cayman expert, but 12,000 is not a lot of miles. It has nice options.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2 hours from Dallas and not carfax, but the one carmax uses is another auto history co. and it was clean.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Well then go buy it. Get the inspection done at your buddies, buddy's dealership and begin enjoying a real fun car.

Can you post the carmax site you found it?

·
Registered
433 Posts
That explains why I could not find it... Nothing to do now but wait for it to arrive...
Good luck U R gonna love that car.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
not to rain on your parade, but that 'sport' button on the SC makes it ALL worthwhile!
I know now that I would never buy a Porsche without it. I was lucky that my 06 had it when i bought it used. but you can always obtain the equivalent throttle mapping with a chip kit...

enjoy- the Cayman is fantastic!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does the throttle mapping hurt anything or has anyone had any troubles with the car after remapping it. I really think that i should move on this car b/c i really want full leather and it is not real easy to find an exterior color/ interior color/ and full leather that you want on a low mileage used CS with warranty on it remaining. I will do it very soon after purchase if it is not a major difficulty or chance of hurting the car or warranty.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Does the throttle mapping hurt anything or has anyone had any troubles with the car after remapping it. I really think that i should move on this car b/c i really want full leather and it is not real easy to find an exterior color/ interior color/ and full leather that you want on a low mileage used CS with warranty on it remaining. I will do it very soon after purchase if it is not a major difficulty or chance of hurting the car or warranty.
I know its only Monday but has car arrived yet?

I would not worry about no SC...This is a very potent car as you will find out.

I agree with your above thinking, and the prices are firming up fast. Porsche has basically stopped making Caymans according to those waiting for 2010 builds... :gossip: :burnout:

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I'm sure you can find someone (on this or other P-car forums) local to the NM CarMax to help take a look/test drive the car for you. To make it more attractive, paypal the guy/girl some money to buy dinner, though most will be glad to help out because they are a car enthusiast. Plus, most of us are pretty anal about the conditions of cars... and will give you every little detail you're looking for. Good luck!

BTW, I bought my '08 Boxster S this August sight unseen from a dealer in NJ. Flew up, signed the papers and drove 1300 miles back home. If you have the opportunity, you should definitely try the "fly & buy"... it'll give you time to get acquainted with the car.

Lastly, don't worry about the SC... you can always get a sprintbooster ($250?) to improve the throttle response.

·
Boxster Enthusiast
76 Posts
I'm sure you can find someone (on this or other P-car forums) local to the NM CarMax to help take a look/test drive the car for you. To make it more attractive, paypal the guy/girl some money to buy dinner, though most will be glad to help out because they are a car enthusiast. Plus, most of us are pretty anal about the conditions of cars... and will give you every little detail you're looking for. Good luck!

BTW, I bought my '08 Boxster S this August sight unseen from a dealer in NJ. Flew up, signed the papers and drove 1300 miles back home. If you have the opportunity, you should definitely try the "fly & buy"... it'll give you time to get acquainted with the car.

Lastly, don't worry about the SC... you can always get a sprintbooster ($250?) to improve the throttle response.
...or Softronic Flash and enable the SC feature. Great deal through the end of the year.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey everyone! Leaving tomorrow morning at 7:30 am in my rental to make the 3hr drive with check in hand. I talked to the salesman and the car arrived yesterday and he states that he cannot find any flaws on the car. Man i hope he is not messing with me, because i am ready to buy. I am leaving with the car to go straight to park place porsche to get a full inspection for 200.00 and hopefully everything will pan out good, b/c i am pumped for this car.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Hope all goes well! If you do get it, be sure to post pictures of the car here.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Hey everyone! Leaving tomorrow morning at 7:30 am in my rental to make the 3hr drive with check in hand. I talked to the salesman and the car arrived yesterday and he states that he cannot find any flaws on the car. Man i hope he is not messing with me, because i am ready to buy. I am leaving with the car to go straight to park place porsche to get a full inspection for 200.00 and hopefully everything will pan out good, b/c i am pumped for this car.

I have a good feeling about this car. Good luck and don't forget your camera... :cheers:

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Well, in absence of bad news... I can only assume the OP is out enjoying the car. :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts