Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2006 Cayman S in August, my first Porsche. It’s my daily driver, replacing a 2012 Acura TSX SE. I drove two other Caymans before buying this one, the best of the three. I was not impressed with the “entertainment system” in any of them, but mine has the Bose option and sounded ok but not great.

After 4 hours of use (driving it home and then 1 day of commuting), the PCM failed, would not power up. I took it to my local Porsche dealer for analysis. Service manager told me he would have to charge me 1 hour of labor ($172.00) to pull the PCM and check the fuse on the back (?). If it checked good, my other option would be to replace the PCM at a cost of $4,643.12 plus $172 labor. And “the unit is backordered”.

I decided to put my money in an after-market system, a Kenwood DPX-503BT head unit and a pair of Alpine KTA-30MW amps, driving the nine Bose speakers.

As a result, I no longer need the equipment it replaced, from left to right:

* aftermarket XM radio add on receiver

* mounting bracket

* Bose power amp

* CD changer

* DVD navigation unit

* PCM

If anyone wants any of these, they can have them for the cost of the freight. No cables or connectors, the installer had to use them to connect the new system to the Bose speakers.

Great website here, I've learned a lot already. Thanks to all the members.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I too, just bought my first Cayman. I have similar PCM options but where does the CD changer mount? I don’t think I have that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought a 2006 Cayman S in August, my first Porsche. It’s my daily driver, replacing a 2012 Acura TSX SE. I drove two other Caymans before buying this one, the best of the three. I was not impressed with the “entertainment system” in any of them, but mine has the Bose option and sounded ok but not great.

After 4 hours of use (driving it home and then 1 day of commuting), the PCM failed, would not power up. I took it to my local Porsche dealer for analysis. Service manager told me he would have to charge me 1 hour of labor ($172.00) to pull the PCM and check the fuse on the back (?). If it checked good, my other option would be to replace the PCM at a cost of $4,643.12 plus $172 labor. And “the unit is backordered”.

I decided to put my money in an after-market system, a Kenwood DPX-503BT head unit and a pair of Alpine KTA-30MW amps, driving the nine Bose speakers.

* mounting bracket

* Bose power amp

* CD changer

* DVD navigation unit

* PCM

If anyone wants any of these, they can have them for the cost of the freight. No cables or connectors, the installer had to use them to connect the new system to the Bose speakers.

Great website here, I've learned a lot already. Thanks to all the members. View attachment 265304

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How do you like the Kenwood? I’ve started shopping
The Kenwood head unit is cheap. They didn't have a demo unit on display so I didn't get to touch it before I bought it. The giant shiny control knob is very shallow, not easy to control. The >> and << buttons are hard plastic and feel like they'll crack or bend at some point. The power/mode button is weak as well. I've vowed not to power it down in order to save the button as long as possible. I use a Pono player connected to the USB/miniplug on the front panel, which has a little clear plastic door over it and is sure to break off at some point. Lots of equalization options though, I and needed them to get those Bose speakers to sound good. There is a similar double DIN Pioneer unit, check that out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi, I have an '07 Cayman without the Bose system, would the nav system work (I don't have a display in the car) in my car?
Probably not. You'll have connecting cable issues right away. I was thinking these items could be used as replacement units that have failed on other Caymans. Should be plug and play for them, I'd think.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Probably not. You'll have connecting cable issues right away. I was thinking these items could be used as replacement units that have failed on other Caymans. Should be plug and play for them, I'd think.
Just to clarify - I meant the PCM system, not the bose amp 😅. I don't have the PCM system currently - just the CD unit and the standard entertainment system. (I think it has DVD nav? There's a changer in the front)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I too, just bought my first Cayman. I have similar PCM options but where does the CD changer mount? I don’t think I have that.
The NAV DVD and 6 CD changer mount on the other side of the dash, in the "front luggage compartment". Behind access cover "A".

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess it's actually "B". I don't remember, I only looked at it once. Kind of tight access.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How do you like the Kenwood? I’ve started shopping
I should say that on the plus side, it's easy to pair an iPhone to the Kenwood (if you use the phone's connecting cable to the USB port). I don't know how to call out yet. But when a call comes in, the unit mutes (the CD player stops) and you just start talking. My wife says the voice quality is very good. The call ends and the music resumes. It also plays music from the iPhone, which my 2012 Acura did not do.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Call me old school, but I've added 6-disks to both my 987.1s. It goes behind the A & B doors in the frunk. You will need a new fiber cable to hook up the player to the radio. The final item is to have you system reprogrammed by the dealer so it recognizes the 6-disk. Contact Suncoast for the cable (have your VIN ready).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey @ Stujo4,

I will take it and pay for shipping right away. I'm in Canada.
I have the Bose factory system, without the Navigation unit. Really just need the navigation headunit, and will try and repair it.

FYI: (Since few others were asking)
The bose based Navigation unit will NOT work with a non-bose car.
Non-bose cars have a separate compatible non-bose nav headunit.
Also this (pcm) will only be compatible with a 997.1 or a 987.1 car

Regards.
Let me know how to proceed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* mounting bracket

* Bose power amp

* CD changer

* DVD navigation unit

* PCM

Great website here, I've learned a lot already. Thanks to all the members. View attachment 265304

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey @ Stujo4,

I will take it and pay for shipping right away. I'm in Canada.
I have the Bose factory system, without the Navigation unit. Really just need the navigation headunit, and will try and repair it.

FYI: (Since few others were asking)
The bose based Navigation unit will NOT work with a non-bose car.
Non-bose cars have a separate compatible non-bose nav headunit.
Also this (pcm) will only be compatible with a 997.1 or a 987.1 car

Regards.
Let me know how to proceed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As hard as the 987.1 are to update from CDR 24 to PCM 2.1, it is much worse for 987.2 cars. The CDR and PCM are coded to the VIN in a manner that “secret codes” held in Stuttgart cannot fix. If you had the PIWIZ and a week the hard coding is near impossible. You would hope that when these cars get a decade old that Porsche might release the codes so we can upgrade from wrecks and hangar queens!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts