Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had some difficulties with the dealer, but in the end I got the car I wanted at a price I'm good with. After driving the Cayman, and the 235 for a month... well its complicated. I'm not quite loving it, yet. I may get flamed for not being a fan-boy, but it is what it is. For $50k, I got a $35k car and a $15k badge. I expect the resale will be fine as the Porsche and BMW follow similar $400-500 a month depreciation.
I got the CS to take my track days to the next level and fully expect the car to come into its on there. But so far I have a few nits to pick.
It's a sport car (duh!); it's low and loud and has more NVH. The UI is probably the single most jarring difference. I may have been spoiled by a couple of generations of BMW's iDrive. I'm not used to looking down and trying to hit little buttons and touch points while dodging the shifter. It may have a good (Bose) stereo but I worry about my hearing if loud enough over the engine and road noise. It seems a very track oriented suspension set up.
My profile is probably 80% around town and to work, and 20% track oriented. The M235 is a pretty good compromise for that mix. European car features and the sport brakes, handling and grunt when you want to play.
Both cars have about 320HP, both do 0-60 in about 4.5sec. The BMW has the grunt, 55ft-lb more torque, but weighs 625lbs more.
Porsche high points... the engine is a delight. Though I'm a big fan of BMW turbo six's the CS makes all the right noises with high revving satisfaction. Brakes seem much stronger; can't wait for the track days. And it looks great. I'm not used to Porsche fans, people want to ask about it.

Besides the obvious, "it's a sports car, dummy," getting used to it will be added by selling the M235 and not going back and forth.
Oh, and anybody want to swap a set of Boxster 18" wheels for these 19's?

·
Premium Member
1,328 Posts
But so far I have a few nits to pick.
1) It's a sport car (duh!); it's low and loud and has more NVH. The UI is probably the single most jarring difference. I may have been spoiled by a couple of generations of BMW's iDrive. I'm not used to looking down and trying to hit little buttons and touch points while dodging the shifter. It may have a good (Bose) stereo but I worry about my hearing if loud enough over the engine and road noise. It seems a very track oriented suspension set up.

2) Both cars have about 320HP, both do 0-60 in about 4.5sec. The BMW has the grunt, 55ft-lb more torque, but weighs 625lbs more.

View attachment 267487
1) I don't what you are bitching about. What is UI ? And looking down at little buttons ?
It has paddles shifters doesn't it ? Explain more - I'm lost.
2) How does a car 625 lbs. heavier with the same HP go 0-60 in the same time. You sure about that. I know it's a turbo but still find that hard to believe. What is your source ?

Finally if you are in fact disappointed and consider the Porsche over price then you selling and keeping the wrong car. You best change now.
I've own both and the BMW is a sporty car. I wouldn't consider it a sports car.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Congratulations on the Cayman, I have heard they are loud. I have a Boxster S myself and love it, I had to add exhaust system to make it louder and more sports car like. I've never owned a BMW, but lots of Porsche guys do or own other German brands. I know the 235 is a good car, but like you said it's heavy for a track car.

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
104 Posts
Congratulations and welcome to the club!

You're right on the UI (user interface) of the radio. It isn't very good but it's much improved on the 718 and has both Carplay and Android Auto now (correct me if I'm wrong). I've got a base Cayman and am disappointed in the fact that it doesn't play music over Bluetooth. I've remedied that with the purchase of a Bluetooth music player connected to the Aux input in the glove box. I don't hear music anyways over the sound of my aftermarket exhaust!

That isn't really a sticking point for me though. I've had the car for 5 years now and every single time I get out of it, I can't wait to get back in and drive it again. I'm always looking for an excuse to take it out (evidenced by my high mileage - 80k km). I think it beats out any Bimmer in terms of driving feel and driving experience having driven and owned bimmers before. Take that with a grain of salt as I've never driven an M car before. I think the 235i is a great car but is definitely not a sports car but I am sure it is fast in a straight line! I would an M car would be more comparable.

I think you'll forget about the Bimmer once you take this on track though. You'll also forget about the awkward seating position of bimmers that is off center from the steering wheel.

As for the NVH, unfortunately you'll just have to get used to that. Modding the suspension and other components will only make that worse haha. I don't mind it though in my car.

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
Congratulations and welcome to the club!

You're right on the UI (user interface) of the radio. It isn't very good but it's much improved on the 718 and has both Carplay and Android Auto now (correct me if I'm wrong). I've got a base Cayman and am disappointed in the fact that it doesn't play music over Bluetooth. I've remedied that with the purchase of a Bluetooth music player connected to the Aux input in the glove box. I don't hear music anyways over the sound of my aftermarket exhaust!

That isn't really a sticking point for me though. I've had the car for 5 years now and every single time I get out of it, I can't wait to get back in and drive it again. I'm always looking for an excuse to take it out (evidenced by my high mileage - 80k km). I think it beats out any Bimmer in terms of driving feel and driving experience having driven and owned bimmers before. Take that with a grain of salt as I've never driven an M car before. I think the 235i is a great car but is definitely not a sports car but I am sure it is fast in a straight line! I would an M car would be more comparable.

I think you'll forget about the Bimmer once you take this on track though. You'll also forget about the awkward seating position of bimmers that is off center from the steering wheel.

As for the NVH, unfortunately you'll just have to get used to that. Modding the suspension and other components will only make that worse haha. I don't mind it though in my car.

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk
Regarding the 718, CarPlay is available (if the option was chosen) but not Android Auto.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
OP, I started going to the track in E92 335i in 2010. After 5 1/2 years I had enough, more than enough, of turbocharger, nose anvil and 3,600 lb. Furthermore, that car was very frustrating to drive on public roads in U.S. because of the torque surge at 1,400 rpm and, with MT, shortshifting to prevent rear-ending people who were never told that gas pedal is also called "accelerator pedal" got very old very quickly.

So, I decided to split duties and get two cars - grocery getter plus dedicated fun car. BMW is, in my opinion, as good as you are going to get if you want one car that does it all. But, again in my opinion only, you will always be better off with a proper tool for a given job. If that is an option, of course.

Ultimately, you will have to be very honest to yourself and decide what you really want. There is nothing wrong with wanting a trophy wife or a Porsche badge on the hood - as long as you are honest to yourself and know exactly what you got and why.

There is no comparison and there cannot be any comparison between a vehicle that was engineered and built to be a useful vehicle that can transport 4 people in comfort, get Costco trip worth of goods in the trunk and can be loaded with people and luggage for very long trips - and a vehicle that is totally, completely useless and engineered from the get go with only one goal in mind of its creators and that would be to provide the owner with best and most exhilarating experience you can have with your clothes on. Any comparison between the two is hugely unfair to one of them - BMW will NEVER feel like a Cayman/Boxster and those two will NEVER reach even fraction of utility and every day usage capabilities of a BMW.

So, pour yourself a favorite meditation alcohol (single malt scotch here) sit down with you and yourself, have a very open and honest conversation and then decide what you really want out of that Porsche. Once you know that, all other questions will have answers - should you sell it? Should you keep BMW and Porsche together? Should you keep Porsche, sell BMW and get Kia/Hyundai for grocery-getting duties? And so on ...

Good luck!

·
Registered
271 Posts
OP, I started going to the track in E92 335i in 2010. After 5 1/2 years I had enough, more than enough, of turbocharger, nose anvil and 3,600 lb. Furthermore, that car was very frustrating to drive on public roads in U.S. because of the torque surge at 1,400 rpm and, with MT, shortshifting to prevent rear-ending people who were never told that gas pedal is also called "accelerator pedal" got very old very quickly.

So, I decided to split duties and get two cars - grocery getter plus dedicated fun car. BMW is, in my opinion, as good as you are going to get if you want one car that does it all. But, again in my opinion only, you will always be better off with a proper tool for a given job. If that is an option, of course.

Ultimately, you will have to be very honest to yourself and decide what you really want. There is nothing wrong with wanting a trophy wife or a Porsche badge on the hood - as long as you are honest to yourself and know exactly what you got and why.

There is no comparison and there cannot be any comparison between a vehicle that was engineered and built to be a useful vehicle that can transport 4 people in comfort, get Costco trip worth of goods in the trunk and can be loaded with people and luggage for very long trips - and a vehicle that is totally, completely useless and engineered from the get go with only one goal in mind of its creators and that would be to provide the owner with best and most exhilarating experience you can have with your clothes on. Any comparison between the two is hugely unfair to one of them - BMW will NEVER feel like a Cayman/Boxster and those two will NEVER reach even fraction of utility and every day usage capabilities of a BMW.

So, pour yourself a favorite meditation alcohol (single malt scotch here) sit down with you and yourself, have a very open and honest conversation and then decide what you really want out of that Porsche. Once you know that, all other questions will have answers - should you sell it? Should you keep BMW and Porsche together? Should you keep Porsche, sell BMW and get Kia/Hyundai for grocery-getting duties? And so on ...

Good luck!
I think that description is more accurate for a Lotus Elise/Alfa Romeo 4C than any modern day Porsche Cayman, which most reviews say is too flacid and comfortable. I have a Boxster S and it's great for commuting and grocery runs with it's 2 trunks, of course I can't carry the whole family around in it, which is the only real weakness, but that's what keeps it small and fun.

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
469 Posts
Both great cars. In general,
BMW = tons of tech gizmos but not as clean/sexy styling (my opinion)
Porsche = basic tech but 'artful' styling and driver engagement
My buddy has had BMWs forever - he absolutely loves the tech stuff and would be disappointed in any Porsche.
I can see your point, but would encourage you to open your mind to try to appreciate the simplicity / form + function. Look at the exterior lines, feel the car when you drive...maybe you'll get hooked or maybe you won't.
I also noticed that my friends M3 (same year as mine) shows obvious signs of wear, squeaks, rattles. My Porsche is a still like a high quality, secure vault.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I think that description is more accurate for a Lotus Elise/Alfa Romeo 4C than any modern day Porsche Cayman, which most reviews say is too flacid and comfortable. I have a Boxster S and it's great for commuting and grocery runs with it's 2 trunks, of course I can't carry the whole family around in it, which is the only real weakness, but that's what keeps it small and fun.
Understood. I do not consider two trunks usable for any daily duty (except stopping for milk and bread on my way back from driver training on local backroads :)) and I personally would not commute in Cayman - it is so much easier to live with a hatchback like VW GTI. But, as I said, that is only myself and my opinion.

I still stand by the enormous difference in approach when planning and engineering the car with utility in mind and another car where utility/comfort is what is left when all other things are delivered. The results will always be strikingly different and impossible to compare, no matter the badges those cars carry.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Funny, I have a 2015 428i and love that car, but I can't stand the idrive and how bad the Bluetooth connectivity is... If I want to go from my iTunes to Spotify to Sirius it's a chore and frustrating to say the least and the sound system in my 2014 Cayman S with the Bose is so much better.

Once you take your Cayman to the track or some twisty back roads and get comfortable with it you will quickly forget the M235

There are quite a few vids out there comparing the cars and the Cayman is always the clear winner

·
Premium Member
1,328 Posts
I've had both at the same time and like both but they are 2 different fish in the pond so don't expect to compare them or rate them against each other.
And don't one expect one car to encompass them both into one car. I would certainly have a BMW as a daily driver. Also my 5 year old GMC Denali has
much more and better tech, UI as it's called, than my 2018 Macan plus Porsche will charge you for things like Bluetooth.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts