Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last summer I sold my 2016 Sapphire Blue CS and shifted my priorities towards home ownership. Picked up a 2003 Miata to fill the void and serve as a fun daily driver with the M5 reserved for weekend fun.

It only took 2 months after moving into my new place that the itch started to come back, and a month later I found myself back in a Cayman.

It's a 2009 Base with 71k miles, manual, and lightly optioned with highlights being the 18" Cayman S II wheels and floor mats in interior color. :) Meteor Gray Metallic over Black Standard Leather. No frills, no fuss, just a pure sports car that needs no explanation.

Found it at a non-Porsche dealer which took care of an oil change and complete detail after it was traded in. While the overall purchase went fairly smoothly, there was some drama associated with it.

Knowing 987.2s aren't that common, I took PTO the next day after finding it and emailed the internet service manager and said I was coming to see it. I debated whether or not to get a PPI somewhere else but the Carfax looked pretty good, these engines are quite reliable, and figured I'll take my laptop & Durametric cable with me to check for over-revs.

On my way home to pick up my gear, I got a call from the dealer, confirming my interest and told them I'll be there in an hour. 10 minutes later as I'm about to decide which car to take, I get another call, except this time I was told there's someone already there, and that I should wait in case the car's no longer available. Mkay.

12 minutes later, another call saying the customer wasn't able to secure a loan. So I decide to take the M5 since I know they'll lowball me on the Miata. Leave the house and the car didn't feel right, but my mind was a bit preoccupied and couldn't tell what was going on until a nice gentleman in a 997 caught my attention.

Oh... :(

Fortunately I was within half a mile from home, so after pumping it back up, swapped cars and got back on the road. Arrived at my destination and while waiting for the car to be brought out from the lot, I was told 2 other people were also interested in it, but 1 couldn't get his loan secured either, and the other guy had to go home and ask his wife. :rolleyes:

#mindgames

Test drive was fine, no surprises, the car felt solid yet broken in at the same time compared with my 981. The hydraulic steering was a welcomed sensation, though the lack of the exhaust noise was disappointing. Just means I need to rev it more to hear the glorious flat-6 again. ;)

Unsurprisingly, I really didn't need much convincing to pull the trigger so once we agreed on a price but before signing any paperwork, I asked if I could check for over-revs. Salesman had no idea what I was talking about but hey, he provided shade and eliminated glare, which was nice.

As you can see, this car was babied throughout its life that started in Georgia, then South Carolina, then Texas, and ultimately SoCal.

With an hour of daylight left, took the canyons back home, and while the day was getting darker, my night was getting brighter.

There are more details that I'll share in this thread as I modify & maintain this magnificent machine. She's not too clean right now but I did a quick & dirty photo shoot a few nights ago.

·
Registered
242 Posts
congrats on the purchase and nice write up, I enjoyed reading it..

have had a Miata (2+ decades ago).. sold my e39 M5 5 yrs ago .. so I can relate..

how does the base cayman compare to your 981S? do you really miss the "lack" of power?

keep us posted

·
Registered
30 Posts
Congrats on getting her home! I've only had my 987.2 Cayman S for 2 weeks, but am absolutely in love with it. The OBD software you are using, is that something available for download or purchase somewhere?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Congrats on your purchase! I had a '11 Boxster with PDK and after getting into autocrossing and track days I decided I wanted a 987.2 Cayman S with a 6 speed manual. It took four months of searching nationwide to find one that fit the bill. I was just about to pull the trigger on a car in Maryland when a 2009 Cayman S with 6 speed manual popped up online as a trade-in at a local Porsche dealer. I called right away, headed immediately to the dealer, and ended up purchasing the car. While I was negotiating the price with the salesman four other guys called the dealer about the car. The sales manager was laughing about the amount of interest in this particular car. I was not surprised. They took the trade-in the day before and hadn't even had a chance to wash it or do a PPI yet. We settled on a fair price contingent on a clean PPI. They ended up giving it a CPO. It was on the market one day. It's a great car and a blast to drive. Enjoy!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
congrats on the purchase and nice write up, I enjoyed reading it..

have had a Miata (2+ decades ago).. sold my e39 M5 5 yrs ago .. so I can relate..

how does the base cayman compare to your 981S? do you really miss the "lack" of power?

keep us posted
Wow, what are the odds someone else has owned the same 3 cars. I guess they're all meant for enthusiasts so maybe not too surprising. :)

For my primary purposes of daily driving and spirited canyon runs, the stock 987.2 power is 100% adequate. The difference is noticeable but there's something refreshing about its simplicity, in that there's no "sport" or "sport plus" buttons so you just rev it out more and use a lot more of its available power. Remember how you could floor it in the Miata and not worry about going to jail? Well...it's not exactly like that but close.

I'd say the 987 is a bit more engaging, it feels more mechanical and less refined. That seems to be true of all cars though...

Congrats on getting her home! I've only had my 987.2 Cayman S for 2 weeks, but am absolutely in love with it. The OBD software you are using, is that something available for download or purchase somewhere?
Thanks! You can download the software at Diagnostic Tool for Porsche | Durametric but you still have to buy the specific OBD-II cable for it. I bought the enthusiast version which is limited to 3 VINs, and mainly use it for resetting service reminders, checking over-revs, and general health of the car. It's fairly easy to use and I'd recommend it for any DIYer. However I discovered the service reminder reset command doesn't work on the 987s and you need to pull the fuse for the instrument cluster to reset it. Kinda annoying but not the worst thing in the world.

It's a great car and a blast to drive. Enjoy!
Nice score! The recession really killed their sales (along with 997.2) so you really do need to look nationwide. I felt myself pretty luck to find one within driving distance and jumped on it within 48 hours.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I can confirm that the Durametric will reset the service reminder on my 987.1. I am not 100% sure about the 987.2 but I'm pretty confident it will do that model as well.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can confirm that the Durametric will reset the service reminder on my 987.1. I am not 100% sure about the 987.2 but I'm pretty confident it will do that model as well.
Do you have the pro or enthusiast version? I downloaded the latest version (enthusiast) but wasn't able to get it working. I'll contact them before my next service in case something's up.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Congrats on being back in the fold. Great story.

For anyone who may be looking, I have a 2009 Boxster S Launch Vehicle for sale. PM me if interested.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Wow, what are the odds someone else has owned the same 3 cars. I guess they're all meant for enthusiasts so maybe not too surprising. :)

For my primary purposes of daily driving and spirited canyon runs, the stock 987.2 power is 100% adequate. The difference is noticeable but there's something refreshing about its simplicity, in that there's no "sport" or "sport plus" buttons so you just rev it out more and use a lot more of its available power. Remember how you could floor it in the Miata and not worry about going to jail? Well...it's not exactly like that but close.

I'd say the 987 is a bit more engaging, it feels more mechanical and less refined. That seems to be true of all cars though...
I couldn't agree more as far as more engaging goes. I had a 981S Boxter for 2 days (service rental) and although it had more power and was a lot more modern, it felt disconnected in many ways. I loved the launch control for about 5 minutes and then got bored. Through my favorite and familiar set of bends, the 981 (with sport plus) felt a bit vague near the edge and I backed off due to lack of feel. That said, I am splitting hairs here and I am just talking about the last 2%. but still, I couldn't believe it. I wondered about all those people who bought a 981 or 991 as their first car, and think THATS how a Porsche feels like. then again, all those air cooled guys prob think the same about the 996/987/997 guys..

enjoy your 987.2 and keep us posted.. I feel a 997.2is the only true upgrade I can think of when I am done with the 987, I am not interested in the regular 991s and the GT cars are out of my pocket's reach

·
Registered
176 Posts
Durametric works on my 2010 to clear the service reminders. But I need to clear it in the software, then pull the instrument cluster fuse for 30s or so: then it clears.

This is documented somewhere by Durametric as being required for some cars. I think it's somewhere in the software instructions...

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now that the introduction is over, let's get to it.

I was told the bumper holes were "already there" but the line item on the invoice indicating 4 screws makes me wanna throw the flag.

Even though there are some rock chips on the bumper cover, it's nowhere near bad enough to make me want to fill in the holes and respray it, especially since this is my daily so I ordered plugs.

Drilled out the holes to 9/32nd...

...and there ya go.

Next item was the clutch and how stiff it is. A friend told me how his buddy's 986 clutch spring broke and it became really tight, so I got in everyone's favorite awkward position to look up and nope, no issues with the spring (wrapped around a white piece). Doing more research revealed this is just how it is, unless the clutch is near the end (unlikely at only 7k miles old). Of course as I type all this, I'm totally used to it now.

Then I decided to change out the air filters and replace the serpentine belt since it wasn't documented anywhere.

Carpet removed.

Engine cover gone. 'tis dusty but I'm gonna hold off on cleaning the bay for now.

OK fine I did clean the air filter cover.

Getting the new filter to seat on the flange was tricky, until it wasn't.

Now to the frunk and the cabin air filter.

While there, I used a coax cable to clear out the drain holes.

Now shifting gears to the belt. Aluminum handle bar removed (2 T45 screws).

Then one T20 screw for the plastic cover, which then snaps off.

Carpet removed revealing the other engine cover.

Of course they're 10mm bolts.

Access is...tight.

However, either the belt is super resilient or it's already been replaced once, and fairly recently too. Just look at it.

So it looks like I'll be returning the belt I got but while I was in there, I pulled on the tensioner to see how it feels. Felt good, man.

Inspected the power steering fluid. Hard to see but it looked tired and didn't smell very sweet. I'll have to look into it but guessing sucking out the old fluid is my best option. I did see a little seepage at the PS pump connection but I don't know yet how easily addressing that is going to be.

Applied a little silicone to the rubber gasket on the engine cover to keep it fresh.

Not sure how this cap got lost, but it's back now.

Last week I got the "refill washer fluid" message and without paying attention to its capacity, I added a mixture comprised of distilled water and the concentrated Porsche washer fluid that I kept. I stopped when it started to overflow from the filler neck and some poured through the fender liner down to the ground. Whoops. But then I noticed puddles for the next 2 days underneath where the reservoir sits and remembered that I accidentally bottomed out on a dip when going a bit too fast on an unfamiliar street. So I thought maybe I had cracked the reservoir or jarred something loose.

Took off the wheel and fender liner for an inspection.

Bump stop's tired of bumpin'.

Here's the reservoir. Everything looked fine, there's still fluid in there and I didn't see any leaks from the pump gasket.

Then I noticed this overflow hose at the top, which is below the level of the filler neck, so driving around must've caused all the excess to overflow. I guess I'll find out. Capacity is only 0.66 gal/2.5 liters as you're probably aware.

Also realized the filler hose comes out which makes positioning the reservoir a lot easier. Nice.

Next up is the water pump & probably the Numeric Racing shifter cables. Mine shifter is pretty loose and I'd rather not get stranded anywhere.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Nice work.. keep it coming.. You are going through most of the same steps as me.. isn't this the best part?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
If you are replacing your shifter cables with Numeric, I highly suggest you also include their shifter. I would also suggest that you buy their cable covers to reduce the transmission whine. I like that noise, but its up to you. The short shift feature and the solid metal gating are fantastic as you can feel the detents of the tranny as it goes into gear if done slowly. Im now used to this shifting and downshift a lot, sometimes into 1st gear around 22 mph using a little double clutch to rev matching.

Then Eibach lowering springs, new bump stops, new upper bearing and Tarett GT sway bars with 18mm f spacers and 23 R. Lower and wider is better by reducing weight transfer while keeping the roll rate forward and aft about the same. All great stuff with Numeric shifting.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice work.. keep it coming.. You are going through most of the same steps as me.. isn't this the best part?
Yeah it's fun refreshing a car. Never had the opportunity to do it with the 981 since it was new but cars in the 10 to 15 year-old range are in the sweet spot where finding parts is easy and you're not dealing with more serious issues like rust repair and complete interior overhauls.

If you are replacing your shifter cables with Numeric, I highly suggest you also include their shifter. I would also suggest that you buy their cable covers to reduce the transmission whine. I like that noise, but its up to you. The short shift feature and the solid metal gating are fantastic as you can feel the detents of the tranny as it goes into gear if done slowly. Im now used to this shifting and downshift a lot, sometimes into 1st gear around 22 mph using a little double clutch to rev matching.

Then Eibach lowering springs, new bump stops, new upper bearing and Tarett GT sway bars with 18mm f spacers and 23 R. Lower and wider is better by reducing weight transfer while keeping the roll rate forward and aft about the same. All great stuff with Numeric shifting.
I've looked into their short shifter and will likely do that as well, but that's down the line; got some house work that needs attention first. Goal is to replace items that won't leave me stranded and then start hacking away at fun mods.

Any specific reason to go with Eibach instead of H&R for the springs?

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,818 Posts
Congratulations on your find. Two points I'd like to make, from memory:
1) the 987.2 non-S version uses the "987.1-style" ECU, with all the mechanical 9A1 engine upgrades, so the Durametric software should work with it.
2) If you want a foolproof street suspension, consider fitting the Cayman R or Boxster Spyder springs/struts/anti-roll bars and corresponding alignment specs/ tire pressures.
Enjoy driving your little slice of heaven!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
kiznarsh, Not sure how any of this will fit into your new home budget, but we all need a vision of somesort.

Eibach seems to have a more level ride height vs H&R which provides slightly more rake. I only mention these springs as they are easy to purchase, while I do defer to the R package if you want to replace the whole system and have no adjustablility.

Granted lowering springs are just that, not coilovers, so you do not get the benefit of having corner balanced or choosing your ride height. But again, they do their job of lowering you car, taking out the space above your tires, and most importantly reducing weight transfer. That's also why I suggested wheel spacers to get the wheels/tires out to the lips of the fender wells as increased track reduces weight transfer as well. Once you start doing the suspension modification, then changing your alignment is just a natural as the car really benefits from maximizing your camber both f and r. Strangely, without greatly wearing the inside of your tires.

The added camber also allows you to tuck your tires inside of the fenders wells. My inital camber setup was -1.6 F and -2.1 R. That's about as far as you can go before adding adjustable LCA's. Just sticking with lowering springs, you can get this camber. So lowering springs, wheel spacers, Tarett GT swaybars, down links, aggressive alignment and one more modification to really liven up your turnin.

Add a Tarett solid Red thrust bearing to your OEM lower control arms. With this single mod, your turnin will be much more precise allowing your toe adjustments to be more aggressive as your LCA's will not move forward or backwards as with the rubber coated OEM's thurst pucks (mine were shot allowing tire to move forward and touch inner liner, rears were even worse). Toe in front to toe out 5 minutes, and toe in in the rear to 12 minutes. (Add these bearings when your suspension is apart).

With these mods, your ride will be a fantastic canyon flyer including the Numeric cables and shifter. All totaled, around $2000. if you shop the deals including alignment and install yourself.
" style="caret-c IMG_0152.jpg olor: rgb(0, 0, 0); color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: -webkit-standard;">

·
Registered
21 Posts
I put the Softronics tune in my 987.2 base and really like it. One thing it does is to remove that annoying 'lag' coming off idle.
Also the PS2s are really great for adhesion, noise, and rain adhesion.
Enjoy.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
...a vision of somesort.
Thanks for all the info. Other than putting on the H&R cup kit on my GTI, I've either been happy with the stock suspension or the PO had springs installed so never had a chance to install coilovers.

I had the X73 on my 981 which was perfect but I suspect the Cayman R suspension might be too stiff for a daily.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts