Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

61 - 80 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Re: Steering Wheel Upgrade

The new wheel looks excellent, congrats! I really like the side contours for your thumbs.

Also appreciate the how-to instructions!
Those contours have made a huge difference! Especially when taking high-speed corners, they really help with being able to keep the wheel at the desired angle.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #62

19" O.Z. Leggera HLT wrapped in Michelin Pilot Sport 4S.

Old setup:

18x8 ET57 | 235/40R18
18x9 ET43 | 265/40R18

New setup:

19x8.5 ET53 | 235/35R19
19x10 ET40 | 265/35R19

The similar offsets allowed me to not worry about spacers, although I plan on getting an alignment since the suspension has also settled since last June. IIRC, I'm at max camber on the rears but toe can still be adjusted.

I ordered the set from Tire Rack and paid for new tire pressure sensors since a) I can't install them myself and b) not sure when they've been replaced (if at all). They're the standard 433 Mhz sensors for Porsche and after driving for half a mile, they were already transmitting pressures so that was nice.

The front combo is only 0.4 lbs heavier (1% increase) and the rear only adds 1 lb (2% increase). New setup circled in red:

New wheel bolts.

Cleaned the light coat of dirt off using Simple Green and then a final wipe with water.

Had great success using this ceramic coating on the M5 wheels, so that was repeated here.

Big improvement is big.

No issues clearing the shocks.

Definitely a bit more poke.

96 ft-lbs.

And here we are. :)

Then I did some light painting in the garage. This was just using a flashlight but at some point I'd like to do this again outside using a softbox, and make sure that OZ logos are aligned correctly. Probably would look more professional without my feet in there too. :D

·
Premium Member
1,709 Posts
I know you didn't have any problems but I would advise others against using Simple Green.
It can be very harsh on some wheel finishes as it is not a safe simple cleaner but a very strong cleaner that can damage wheels.
I always thought that the factory 981 wheels were OZ because of the look but they are actually BBS. Just some added info.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I know you didn't have any problems but I would advise others against using Simple Green.
It can be very harsh on some wheel finishes as it is not a safe simple cleaner but a very strong cleaner that can damage wheels.
I always thought that the factory 981 wheels were OZ because of the look but they are actually BBS. Just some added info.
I think the main concern is if you use it on uncoated aluminum but anything with paint is fine, especially since I just spray a little on a microfiber towel and then wipe it down. For regular car washes, I just use soap & water.

I've also used Sonax in the past with good results.

nice pics of your car.... you can tell you spend time admiring the shapes of the car....
we all do it :)
Thanks! While not as classic as the 911, the Cayman's shape is still very pretty.

·
Registered
8 Posts
New O.Z.s and suspension mods looking fantastic. I also am hoping to find a 987 after previous 981 CS ownership but still debating gen 1 or 2. Curious, did you ever consider a base 981 as I see a few cpo vehicles in the 40k range.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
New O.Z.s and suspension mods looking fantastic. I also am hoping to find a 987 after previous 981 CS ownership but still debating gen 1 or 2. Curious, did you ever consider a base 981 as I see a few cpo vehicles in the 40k range.
Thanks!

No, never considered them since my original intention was to find something around $10k. Obviously spent more but definitely worth it.

I'm finding myself enjoying the 987 more as the analog feel of the car makes it feel more like a true sports car. 981 wins out in overall design (especially the interior) but the "sense of occasion" is more enjoyable in the 987.

And of course the hours of labor I've invested in the 987 translates to more satisfaction.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
At some point when the aftermarket Pioneer deck was installed, the owner added a Sirius antenna on the lower corner of the windshield. Didn't really bother me that much but finally got around to relocating it since I didn't have a need for it.

Started off with removing the wiper arms. Trick is to push in at the joint and then wiggle it off of the tapered spline.

Then remove additional hardware, including a T25 screw in the middle of the cowl.

Remove the electrical connectors for the wiper nozzles. I then removed the fluid hose from the tee-fitting under the cowl, which was easier than disconnecting the hose from the nozzles.

Then remove the clip and disconnect the radio antenna cable.

Also need to take out the 2 T30 screws, keeping in mind which bracket goes on top when reinstalling.

Pop off the rivets...

...and here we are.

Underside of the cowl.

I originally bought this bottle for the Miata's top but finally used it here.

Popped off the antenna and removed the residue, then cleaned up the bottom lip of the windshield.

It was actually a pretty clean install with the cable protected inside a wire loom. Cleaned the area, positioned it somewhere safe, and used a bright cable tie so it's conspicuous for the next owner.

Reassembled everything and torqued the nuts to 21 ft-lbs.

Much cleaner, right? Unfortunately the rubber strip is no longer tight against the windshield but other than buying a new cowl (and trust me, the thought crossed my mind), can't do much about it.

Got some color back too.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Also took care of a couple other items before today, including using a DIY kit for filling in a windshield crack from one of the canyon runs.

And my fuel cap strap finally let go.

Pulled out the grommet...

..and punched out the single-use plastic rivet.

Back in business.

Lastly some daytime shots with the new wheels. :)

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Kiznarsh- I am a big fan of your work with a Porsche. I do have a question though. What product do you routinely use to clean the components under the car. You car looks very clean, especially around the rear suspension, axles, transaxle and frame parts. Let us know how you achieve this look. Thanks again for you demonstrations, they are inspiring.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Kiznarsh- I am a big fan of your work with a Porsche. I do have a question though. What product do you routinely use to clean the components under the car. You car looks very clean, especially around the rear suspension, axles, transaxle and frame parts. Let us know how you achieve this look. Thanks again for you demonstrations, they are inspiring.
Appreciate that!

I actually don't routinely address the underside of the car. I think it's stayed fairly clean since it's always been a southern can and hasn't seen snow (or very little). Last summer when I was doing all the suspension work, I did take time to clean areas with Simple Green, Brakleen, and Engine Degreaser. Plus installing new components always helps but in general, it was fairly clean when I bought it.

There's a bit of oil seepage at the manifold on top and I can see dirt & grime that has stuck to it, but the underside is dry and that really helps keep it nice. At some point I plan on detailing the engine bay after replacing any necessary O-rings and seals.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Great looking 987.2!

What are your thoughts on its power when compared to your previous 981S? I think the Base 987.2 is a great car, but not sure if I would get bored of the power. We're so spoiled nowadays with power outputs, but I think ~300bhp is really a sweet spot

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
With the new wheels and Pilot Sport 4S tires on the car, it was time to take out the Cayman on the road again. There's not much I can say that you haven't already heard about the Michelins but compared to my previous setup with the Hankook Ventus V12s, they are significantly better in grip and inspiring confidence. I will admit the ride is less comfy overall with the 19" wheels and lower sidewall, but that's a small price to pay compared to how well the car performs now. ?

Compared to my Summer 2019 trip, I'm also rocking a little more negative camber that's helped with better turn-in. The car is just really sorted now. I'm sure something like the 718 GT4 is objectively better but the notchy shifter, hydraulic steering, and smaller size of the 987...I don't know, it's just so damn analog and raw (relatively speaking of course).

First day was a straight shot up to Sunnyvale. Left at noon, arrived at 9 pm with some traffic early on, multiple stops for food and photos, and oh yeah...gas. Lots of gas.

Stopped in Santa Margarita for some sunset shots.

Then hopped on 58...

...and headed towards the tantalizingly twisty 229, because not doing so would be criminal. Had a bit of a scare as there was this huge truck coming the other way (F-350 IIRC) and fortunately we passed each other where it's no longer a single-lane road. Definitely not enough room for both of us in some portions. :eek:

Obligatory photo by the windmill again. Now all that's left is a photo in the spring.

Soft light is soft (f/1.4 helps too).

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Set my alarm for 5 am on a Sunday morning to head up to the mountains and join friends who roam those roads on the daily, much to the dismay of certain local residents whose piercing evil eyes aim to crush your soul.

It's moments like these that make me wish I was a morning person. :eek:

Our route which ended at DWA Morning Motors.

My ground clearance seems so high in comparison!

Delicious donuts were transported in this E28.

Love the plate.

Friend's dog was having a nice time.

Mesa One. Interesting. Haven't read much about it but looks like it had a supercharged LS V8 in there.

Tires should be cheap.

Later on in the week, I managed to get some photos at Ames.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Then I began the 2-day journey back home and decided to take the scenic route through Carmel & Cambria.

Carmel always has interesting cars, though nothing too fancy on this day. I remember this 2CV from at least 10 years ago.

This E39 was mint.

This 900 Turbo was decent from the back...

...but pretty messed up in the front, so I chose to focus on the flower instead.

GTS cab.

Camouflaged Corvette.

Surprisingly found a spot on Ocean Ave.

A little Moroccan mint hot tea before hitting the road.

Stopped by the Elephant Seal Vista Point where the seals were busy bangin'. No seriously, they were really going at it.

Weather was absolutely perfect when I got to Cambria so of course had to stop by for an afternoon pastry.

Then rushed to the shore for more pics before it was too late. It's a race against time, people!

Ferdinand & Ferry chattin' it up.

The beauty of post-processing. Where did all this light come from?!

After some much-needed shut-eye, the final leg of the trip was upon me.

Took 166 for the first time and I really enjoyed it. Nice long sweeping curves, mostly in 4th and 5th, occasionally 3rd with great pavement and scenic views.

CSB: the "speed trap" icon on Google maps is fantastic. On one section of 166, 4 of us were stuck behind a big rig and waiting for the right time to pass. A straight section was coming up but once I saw the little radar gun logo, decided it wasn't worth the risk. Well, clearly the Kia Optima driver wasn't paying attention so he floored it. Probably got up to 80 mph since the truck was actually going the speed limit of 55 mph. A few minutes later I come around the bend and yup, CHP pulled him over. Bummer. But better him than me.

Then on 33 which was lovely as usual.

Can you guys see Chad in this photo?

There he is! Classic Chad, always hiding.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
And well, if you find yourself on 33, you gotta stop by the Ojai Deer Lodge for the atmosphere and the tri tip.

Then a picture-in-picture with Sophia who reminisced about her summer tan.

She then introduced me to Marissa who was simply delightful to work with. ?

This is Mr. Bear. Mr. Bear is a regular at this establishment. Mr. Bear has his own mug. Big fan of tequila as well, according to the locals. He looks like a badass mofo, but a total teddy bear inside.

Lastly we arrive on Latigo, where I had the entire road all to myself.

Final tally.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Great looking 987.2!

What are your thoughts on its power when compared to your previous 981S? I think the Base 987.2 is a great car, but not sure if I would get bored of the power. We're so spoiled nowadays with power outputs, but I think ~300bhp is really a sweet spot
Thanks!

I'd be lying if I said sometimes I wouldn't mind more power, but then when I really push it, I find the sensation of speed to be enjoyable, which is ultimately what matters. On the NorCal cruise, I wasn't able to keep up with some of the other cars (930, Evora, NSX) and definitely feel behind in the uphill portions, but I was also able to go wide open throttle without getting too crazy.

If anything, I miss the 981S brakes more than the power.

For street driving and spirited canyon runs, I still feel it's adequate but could use more for track duties. The other thing is the Sprint Booster made a noticeable difference so I'd recommend doing that upgrade before considering a more powerful trim/car.

·
Incurable Gearhead
963 Posts
Man do I love exploring your end of the world! What a blessing to have such roads nearby. And the car just looks terrific. Don’t change a thing.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Really nice photography, kiznarsh - thanks for posting this! Up and down the coast here in Cali is a special treat. I've done it many times and always enjoy it.

61 - 80 of 98 Posts