Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

81 - 98 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Man do I love exploring your end of the world! What a blessing to have such roads nearby. And the car just looks terrific. Don’t change a thing.
Thanks! Just got a couple cosmetic issues to fix but yeah, no plans on anything major. I wouldn't mind bigger brakes as I felt some fading in the canyons.
Really nice photography, kiznarsh - thanks for posting this! Up and down the coast here in Cali is a special treat. I've done it many times and always enjoy it.
Indeed...so many awesome roads here. If I lived closer to the mountains, I'd be up there much more frequently.

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,852 Posts
@kiznarsh:
Thanks for sharing your epic photo journal with us. You should submit it as an article for publication in Panorama.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Reactions: wagzhp

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
@kiznarsh:
Thanks for sharing your epic photo journal with us. You should submit it as an article for publication in Panorama.

Appreciate that, though I suspect Panorama is looking after something a little more formal. You got any connections? :cool:

Honestly, if I could do this for a living, I'd be so content. These trips allow me to exercise my passion for driving, traveling, photography, and meeting new people. If I could throw my guitar in there and play at dive bars or coffee shops, then it would be the ultimate dream.

There's really nothing stopping me from doing that all the time. Well...other than not being able to afford to do so. ;)

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,852 Posts
Appreciate that, though I suspect Panorama is looking after something a little more formal. You got any connections? :cool:

Honestly, if I could do this for a living, I'd be so content. These trips allow me to exercise my passion for driving, traveling, photography, and meeting new people. If I could throw my guitar in there and play at dive bars or coffee shops, then it would be the ultimate dream.

There's really nothing stopping me from doing that all the time. Well...other than not being able to afford to do so. ;)
Actually, you could submit an article to your local PCA chapter, and ask the editor if they'd be willing to help you submit it to Panorama for their consideration. How cool would it be to see your article published nationwide?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
A few months ago the thought of making videos of my work came up and now it's finally here.

For anyone who's been following this thread, these episodes are really just video versions of my work with some DIY elements thrown in for good measure. I'm also sharing these with friends and family who aren't necessarily car savvy so hoping to make it somewhat entertaining.

Admittedly an oil change and brake fluid flush is pretty boring (especially for this forum) but I need content to practice editing, finding my shtick, and to become more comfortable in front of the camera. On the flip side, all the time spent worrying about finding the right camera angles and recharging batteries led to me missing an important step. :(

Episode 2 which I'm wrapping up today will be more interesting. 👍

Didn't really take that many pics but here are a few for those who don't feel like watching.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
While the interior plastics improved with the 987 generation, some areas are still prone to wear. Anyone else have the same issue?

You'd think that'd be a pretty straightforward swap, but seeing how I'm addressing this in ownership month #20, yeah, not so much. There are 2 critical steps one needs to take before tackling this task:

Number 1 - disconnect the battery since you'll be disabling an airbag.

Number 2 - get yourself a hot beverage and a chocolate chip cookie (none of that oatmeal raisin nonsense).

As you've probably guessed by now, the door panel needs to be removed. Not terribly difficult, just a few Torx screws neatly tucked away.

After you've disconnected the door handle cable...

...you'll need to pop off the trim for the mirror switch (just 2 clips on the bottom), then disconnect the press-fit connector.

Unfortunately that connector was giving me a hard time so I temporarily taped that assembly to stay out of the way while I popped the door clips off.

As long as the door doesn't suddenly fall, it'll be fine.

Door fell. :eek:

The weight of the door yanked the connector out from the switch and ultimate broke it. Soooo buying a new switch wasn't something I was expecting to do that day.

While searching for the switch, I got notified about another Etsy photo sale which covered the cost of the switch. Thanks DL from Long Beach! 👍

Door panel removed.

So here's the deal: that trim insert isn't held in by clips, tabs, screws, glue, double-side tape, peanut butter, or honey. No, it's held in by 9 plastic pins/posts that are welded to the door panel.

Which means the official procedure for removing the insert is drilling them out, then using a plastic welder to attach the new one. Who thought this was a good idea? :confused:

And how the hell did I break a drill bit?! Pre-load & heat, is what I reckon.

An absolute mess but finally got it out.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
New/old comparisons:

Then I spent some time cutting away the extra melted plastic left behind from the factory.

Prepped the holes for insertion.

Like others, I decided that I wasn't gonna deal with trying to melt the plastic using a soldering iron (who's got a plastic welder anyway?) but instead, use screws & washers. This has the benefit of making the part easily replaceable in the future while having more control with drawing in the insert uniformly. Fortunately I was able to use existing hardware. I think I measured the pin OD to be 0.220" with an ID of 0.110", and the screw thread OD was 0.140" (5/8" long).

Used a Dremel to cut the pins flush with the door panel.

That's what I'm talking about:

Covered the screw heads with wire loom tape to prevent rubbing (also prevents them from backing out).

Even though only 2 door clips broke during removal, I replaced all 9. Old plastic is old.

Thought I was home free when I realized the screw head was interfering with the door pivoting mechanism. Even after removing the washer, it wasn't going to clear.

So I found a small piece of plastic that was laying around, busted out the soldering iron, and melted it to make it work. Turned out alright.

And here we are. :)

·
Premium Member
1,709 Posts
Quite a job.
Thanks for posting all the details & photo's. It will help some and make others either not do the job or hire someone to do it for them.

Reactions: kiznarsh

·
Registered
40 Posts
Nice work and great thread. Would have been a great opportunity to swap in some R door pulls though 😉. I assume/hope Porsche stopped using the weird painted plastic after the 987 and 997. Mine all look fine, but I'm almost afraid to touch it.

You have great taste, my 2.9 shares the garage with a Mk 7.5 GTI as well.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Nice work and great thread. Would have been a great opportunity to swap in some R door pulls though . I assume/hope Porsche stopped using the weird painted plastic after the 987 and 997. Mine all look fine, but I'm almost afraid to touch it.

You have great taste, my 2.9 shares the garage with a Mk 7.5 GTI as well.
Same

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
A tale of suction, seduction, and a reduction of debris.

Screenshots:

After buttoning everything up, got an error about my LED license plate lights not working. I knew I plugged them in and after some troubleshooting, realized they both fried at the same time. :unsure:

All good now though.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
wow you seem like quite a capable DIY'er kiznarsh.
great job in keeping this car in good nick.

I had some professional help removing the bumper and cleaning out all those leaves and crud from the condensers. you may want to consider putting in some grille guards/mesh to reduce the amount of stuff sucked into the bumper openings. I got fed up with cleaning out cig butts and leaves every other week.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
wow you seem like quite a capable DIY'er kiznarsh.
great job in keeping this car in good nick.

I had some professional help removing the bumper and cleaning out all those leaves and crud from the condensers. you may want to consider putting in some grille guards/mesh to reduce the amount of stuff sucked into the bumper openings. I got fed up with cleaning out cig butts and leaves every other week.
Appreciate it!

I thought about grill guards. I know there's the quick & dirty way to getting gutter guards and zip-tying them on, but that's not my style. The $300 aftermarket options didn't seem worth it either. I think most of that crap was while the car was in the south prior to me picking it up. It's rare that I drive through dry leaves in my area and I'm thinking of just using a shop vac periodically. It's the build up that really hurts.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Excellent writeup! Lots of fantastic DIY suggestions.

I'm another 987.2/MK 7 GTI owner.

Mike

81 - 98 of 98 Posts