Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

101 - 120 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
This is meteor grey metallic right? It's amazing, I never like grey cars, but this car is such a sculpture, looks like one of those satisfying pencil sketches.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
nice pictures! taken in California?
Thanks! Yes, the film pics were in Malibu in the Santa Monica mountains and the other 2 were by the Santa Monica airport. Always thought that 727 nose sticking out was pretty cool.

This is meteor grey metallic right? It's amazing, I never like grey cars, but this car is such a sculpture, looks like one of those satisfying pencil sketches.
Right you are! The paint's in pretty good shape but I still haven't gotten around to detailing yet. There are a good amount of swirl marks that need to be removed, but nothing too bad.

·
Registered
Cayman 987.2 2.9 PDK
239 Posts
Incredible journal and diary … Thanks for sharing @kiznarsh

Cheers from Kuala Lumpur.. Malaysia!

--------------------

Discussion Starter • #1 Feb 4, 2019
Last summer I sold my 2016 Sapphire Blue CS and shifted my priorities towards home ownership. Picked up a 2003 Miata to fill the void and serve as a fun daily driver with the M5 reserved for weekend fun...

·
Registered
423 Posts
Kiznarsh, this group is a smaller group of owners who get together maybe once a month and do drives. Last weekend they set up an autocross at the Porsche Experience Center that I hear was pretty good.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
There's a new garagemate with a similar power-to-weight ratio. Top-down driving with less than 2,400 lbs is really fun in a different way than the Cayman. I still have the GTI and debating on whether I keep that vs. the Miata. The Cayman and Miata serve similar purposes but I wouldn't say they're redundant (at least that's how I justified its purchase.) :) Definitely more cargo space in the Cayman, which now feels like a sedan in comparison.

I've already started modifying it which so far has been easier than the Cayman...everything comes part so much easier with exposed screws that Porsche would never allow!

The previous owner sold it as he just got a 981 GTS.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Funnily enough I used to have a 981 Boxster S as well, ended up selling for a 987.2 base to use mainly on the track and I also have an NC2 MX5.

Even in Boxster guise which you'd think would be closer I always say they are different cars with different personalities. I think the Boxster is more refined whereas the MX5 is more playful and tail happy which makes it amazingly fun on back roads. Both of them have Ohlins and a bunch of suspension mods but both stock power.

When I go out driving with friends who are in more powerful cars (other Porsches, M2's etc..) I prefer to drive the MX5 as I have to drive like a maniac to keep up with them 😁

We have a regular Honda Civic as a 'responsible car'. I reckon if you can keep both do it!

Reactions: KL Cayman

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
Funnily enough I used to have a 981 Boxster S as well, ended up selling for a 987.2 base to use mainly on the track and I also have an NC2 MX5.

Even in Boxster guise which you'd think would be closer I always say they are different cars with different personalities. I think the Boxster is more refined whereas the MX5 is more playful and tail happy which makes it amazingly fun on back roads. Both of them have Ohlins and a bunch of suspension mods but both stock power.
Nice!

You're right in that the 987 is more refined and feels more "grown up" compared to the Miata, and it definitely feels more at home on the freeway whereas I'm always wary of trucks & SUVs not seeing me in the ND2. You could probably tell mine has the Bilsteins and I'm honestly surprised at how rough they are on bumps, especially on the freeway. I wasn't expecting a smooth ride but I'm leaning towards upgrading, and deciding on whether I step up to Ohlins too. Or do I save over a grand and get the MeisterR coilovers instead?

I don't have any track plans for it, just canyon carving but also looking for a compliant ride as a daily driver. Care to elaborate on your thoughts regarding the Ohlins? Are they really stock-ish when it comes to normal city driving, yet also amazing when pushed? Because that's word on the street.

I'm still happy with the Bilstein B6 shocks I put on the Cayman as they're still pretty good for daily driving, and definitely more comfortable than what's on the Miata (obviously damped differently).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Nice!

You're right in that the 987 is more refined and feels more "grown up" compared to the Miata, and it definitely feels more at home on the freeway whereas I'm always wary of trucks & SUVs not seeing me in the ND2. You could probably tell mine has the Bilsteins and I'm honestly surprised at how rough they are on bumps, especially on the freeway. I wasn't expecting a smooth ride but I'm leaning towards upgrading, and deciding on whether I step up to Ohlins too. Or do I save over a grand and get the MeisterR coilovers instead?

I don't have any track plans for it, just canyon carving but also looking for a compliant ride as a daily driver. Care to elaborate on your thoughts regarding the Ohlins? Are they really stock-ish when it comes to normal city driving, yet also amazing when pushed? Because that's word on the street.

I'm still happy with the Bilstein B6 shocks I put on the Cayman as they're still pretty good for daily driving, and definitely more comfortable than what's on the Miata (obviously damped differently).
Honestly I think that is just the nature of these cars that they are bumpy on the highway. I think it's a matter of the weight and maybe wheelbase that causes it not sure exactly but I know my missus much prefers being in the Porsche.

I think Ohlins are the best street coilovers and I'd say they are probably going to be similar to the ride you have now, that was my experience on the NC and friends in their ND's. In corners they will be night and day.

In my personal experience Ohlins also have extremely good resale value, so if you part the car out later you will get out of them very well as there is constant demand for them.

Reactions: kiznarsh

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ha, nice! I sold my ND to get the Cayman and as I’ve mentioned previously also have a GTI as my practical car. Had the FM stage 2 setup on it and it was pretty great. My thought process was that if I regretted selling it I could upgrade to an ND2 next time 😁 I sure wish parts and mods for the Porsche were as cheap as they are for the ND...

This is the day the truck came to pick it up and bring it to its new owner. Of course it had to look amazing and make me sad.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Kiznarsh,

thoroughly enjoy your photo blog.

Thank you

i used to have a NC1 and i am currently looking for a 987s or 987.2 base. Your sharing obviously made me green in envy. And i wish i am as handy as you are with DIY. Unfortunately i am not. So i am kinda leaning towards the newer 987.2 base, hopefully less issue to deal with.

I had my NC1 for 12 years, put on about 60,000 km on it. besides the normal wear and tear, the other other thing i meddled with was the suspension. I went from HKS coils (BAD) to Tein Flex (NOTgreat). Eventually i have the Bilstein B12 pro kit which is actually a B6 + Eibach spring. The good thing is that it dropped the car by 3 cm, which made it look very nice. The bad thing is i couldn't clear the hump right outside my office car park. SO i had to graft the strutt body and bring the springs up by 2 cm. After that it was all good. ...

i and a few other tried and thought that was the best set up for "across the board" usage for the MX5. I tried Ohlins, and i was tempted. They are beautiful. But somehow the price doesn't justify the difference over the Prokit... Just my 2 cents worth of sharing.

I hope i find my dream boxster soon

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
Ha, nice! I sold my ND to get the Cayman and as I’ve mentioned previously also have a GTI as my practical car. Had the FM stage 2 setup on it and it was pretty great. My thought process was that if I regretted selling it I could upgrade to an ND2 next time 😁 I sure wish parts and mods for the Porsche were as cheap as they are for the ND...
Yeah the lack of the Porsche tax is definitely nice. I'm planning on installing the Progress sway bars this weekend to tighten things up and will likely drive it like that for a while before deciding on coilovers.

Hey Kiznarsh,

thoroughly enjoy your photo blog.

Thank you

i used to have a NC1 and i am currently looking for a 987s or 987.2 base. Your sharing obviously made me green in envy. And i wish i am as handy as you are with DIY. Unfortunately i am not. So i am kinda leaning towards the newer 987.2 base, hopefully less issue to deal with.

I had my NC1 for 12 years, put on about 60,000 km on it. besides the normal wear and tear, the other other thing i meddled with was the suspension. I went from HKS coils (BAD) to Tein Flex (NOTgreat). Eventually i have the Bilstein B12 pro kit which is actually a B6 + Eibach spring. The good thing is that it dropped the car by 3 cm, which made it look very nice. The bad thing is i couldn't clear the hump right outside my office car park. SO i had to graft the strutt body and bring the springs up by 2 cm. After that it was all good. ...

i and a few other tried and thought that was the best set up for "across the board" usage for the MX5. I tried Ohlins, and i was tempted. They are beautiful. But somehow the price doesn't justify the difference over the Prokit... Just my 2 cents worth of sharing.

I hope i find my dream boxster soon
Thanks for checking in!

While access to some parts is tough, it was definitely engineered to allow easy access for many parts, but also nothing wrong with having someone else do the work. If you have the space to do basic maintenance, that'll go a long way in saving money and spending more time enjoying the car. Hard to find the right one as I'm sure you've realized, but very rewarding when you do.

Thanks for your thoughts on the suspension. One worry I have is spending $2.5k on Ohlins, then selling the car as clearly my "car ADD" isn't going anywhere anytime soon. :)

The thought of replacing the Miata and the Cayman for a 981 Boxster (or 987 Boxster Spyder) has crossed my mind because that gives me the Cayman experience with the convertible fun of the Miata. But the Cayman is so well sorted now that I feel like I need to enjoy it more. Which begs the question: why did I buy the Miata? :confused:

·
Registered
2 Posts
In my puny mind MX5 and Boxster is quite different animal. Best keep both. Ha ha ha.
I can go into why they are different, but I’m sure deep in your mind you already know.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The thought of replacing the Miata and the Cayman for a 981 Boxster (or 987 Boxster Spyder) has crossed my mind because that gives me the Cayman experience with the convertible fun of the Miata. But the Cayman is so well sorted now that I feel like I need to enjoy it more. Which begs the question: why did I buy the Miata? :confused:
Because you are sick.

There is an easy way to solve this dilemma, embrace the sickness and buy a third car.

These sort of cars get referred to as 'silly cars' in my house and once every while out of the blue I say to my better half "I've purchased another silly car". That is of course unless the money out of the account is not noticed first 🤣

Reactions: KL Cayman

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
A few updates to share. Replaced the battery with one from Bosch (part no. S5572B-INT) that I picked up from Pelican. This look familiar?

Old battery (assuming #2 in the car's history).

Decent condition for the tray.

New battery that I swapped in the parking lot so I could get my core return.

Hooked up the vent tube.

Car immediately felt more alive and powerful. Fresh batteries are underrated. And no coding required, which was nice.

Then I replaced the cracked hatch bumpers.

It's already been 2 years so time for another smog test. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the nice couple at Best Buy Smog are awesome. I think they recognize me from all my visits but he always makes a genuine complement. He cut his lunch short to do my test and immediately commented on the "nice, sleek lines" as he traced its profile with his right hand, flowing over it like streamlines.

Fortunately they're still in business but there's been a huge decrease in cars, not only because of the pandemic but California now let's you drive new cars for 8 years before requiring a test.

Haven't taken that many pics of it recently but made sure to take one while I still had film in the camera.

101 - 120 of 141 Posts