Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
"You're crazy!," was the majority response from my colleagues when they learned I had traded a 2012 911 GTS for a....Cayman!? My motivation for any of these cars has always been a rewarding driving experience. I could care less about the prestige one car may subjectively have over another. After 12 visits to the service department for issues ranging from a leaking sunroof to a defective clutch interlock switch, I was ready to move on.

The 997.2 GTS has been reviewed by some journals as the "best version" of the 997 models. A compromise between the GT3 and an everyday driver. In truth, it is a phenomenal car. The steering, power, grip, brakes, and manual transmission come together in a package that highlights all the virtues of the 911, while not intimidating the driver or his neighbors. But, the 911 GTS cannot overcome physics. Enter the Cayman...

I first drove a 981 CS to experience for myself what the journalists were so excited about. After just one solo test drive (thank you Champion Porsche), I realized how good the 981 design is. The engineering speaks for itself: mid-engine layout in a chassis with a torsional rigidity of 40,000 Nm/deg vs a rear-engine design with 34,000 Nm of stiffness. Plumb neutral handling vs lift-off oversteer. Subjectively, the 981 GTS achieves with less torque and horsepower what the 997 GTS delivers at the cost of defying physics. The driving experience is just a little sharper in the Cayman; a little bit more focused; more natural and intuitive in its responses.

When compared to other Cayman models, the GTS lives up to the journalistic hype. It is true, the additional power and torque are barely discernible from a comparably equipped CS. I drove a CS with manual, Sport Chrono, PTV, and sport exhaust and you get very close to the GTS experience. But the GTS is a proposition where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. The sound is unmatched, except in a Lambo, Ferrari, or R8. No other car provides a thunderstorm riding shot-gun. It sounds that good. Forget the nice stereo; you will never use it.

In summary, compared to the 997.2 GTS, these are my impressions (quite subjectively):
1. Build quality exterior - 981 GTS
2. Build quality interior - 981 GTS
3. Design - Tie
4. Chassis - 981 GTS
5. Acceleration - 997.2
6. Braking - 997.2 (but my brakes are not broken in yet
7. Steering feel - 997.2
8. Comfort - 981 GTS
9. Cornering - 981 GTS
10. Sound - 981 GTS
11. Ground clearance - 981 GTS
12. Manual gearbox - Tie
13. "Driver experience" - Tie

I could not be happier with the 981 GTS (ptv, manual, agate, amber leather, SS door sill, rear wiper, park assist) I ordered. Is it better than my old 997.2 GTS? That's not really the question. They are both exceptional and the 981 is a very worthy replacement, which speaks very highly of the car. Make sure you order the ptv, however.

For anyone looking to order a 981 GTS, Mirek at Champion Porsche in Pompano, FL,was my SA. He did a great job, kept me informed throughout the process, and even delivered the car the SAME day it arrived at the dealer. When the used car manager low-balled my trade-in, Mirek discounted an additional $2k from the 981 I had ordered; savings came to $5300 off msrp, or 6.5%!

Attachments

·
Registered
798 Posts
Congrats on the car and appreciate the insight coming from a 911...there are a few members on this forum that made similar moves and are very content with the 981

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
507 Posts
Perfect Color combo, it looks aweesommmmeee

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I was worried the amber interior would be too bright, but it turned out quite elegant with the grey dash.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
so I am thinking about getting a GTS..why did you choose leather instead of the Alcantara? I am on the fence with it and even leaning towards full leather..Just wondering..great ride!!!

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
An interesting and thoughtful perspective. For now, I'm still loving my 997.2 GTS. I understand the lure of a Cayman GTS, and don't know whether I'll be able to resist a GT4.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
so I am thinking about getting a GTS..why did you choose leather instead of the Alcantara? I am on the fence with it and even leaning towards full leather..Just wondering..great ride!!!
Can't speak for the OP but my guess is that he wanted the specific interior color. For me, I wanted ventilated seats which ruled out Alacantara.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Excellent posting, great insight. also,
+1 on the color combo. Really nice.
6.5% may be the record discount for a GTS, Congrats!

just curious, what makes you specifically call out the PTV as a must have option? I agree, just want to hear your reason. What I do not agree on is the stereo, but that's ok lol.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Good luck to you with a great car. One question, I can understand your ratings on the 2 cars except for comfort. I find the 911 variants to be much more comfortable that the 981. The larger cockpit seem to make a difference to me. What was your take on that?

"You're crazy!," was the majority response from my colleagues when they learned I had traded a 2012 911 GTS for a....Cayman!? My motivation for any of these cars has always been a rewarding driving experience. I could care less about the prestige one car may subjectively have over another. After 12 visits to the service department for issues ranging from a leaking sunroof to a defective clutch interlock switch, I was ready to move on.

The 997.2 GTS has been reviewed by some journals as the "best version" of the 997 models. A compromise between the GT3 and an everyday driver. In truth, it is a phenomenal car. The steering, power, grip, brakes, and manual transmission come together in a package that highlights all the virtues of the 911, while not intimidating the driver or his neighbors. But, the 911 GTS cannot overcome physics. Enter the Cayman...

I first drove a 981 CS to experience for myself what the journalists were so excited about. After just one solo test drive (thank you Champion Porsche), I realized how good the 981 design is. The engineering speaks for itself: mid-engine layout in a chassis with a torsional rigidity of 40,000 Nm/deg vs a rear-engine design with 34,000 Nm of stiffness. Plumb neutral handling vs lift-off oversteer. Subjectively, the 981 GTS achieves with less torque and horsepower what the 997 GTS delivers at the cost of defying physics. The driving experience is just a little sharper in the Cayman; a little bit more focused; more natural and intuitive in its responses.

When compared to other Cayman models, the GTS lives up to the journalistic hype. It is true, the additional power and torque are barely discernible from a comparably equipped CS. I drove a CS with manual, Sport Chrono, PTV, and sport exhaust and you get very close to the GTS experience. But the GTS is a proposition where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. The sound is unmatched, except in a Lambo, Ferrari, or R8. No other car provides a thunderstorm riding shot-gun. It sounds that good. Forget the nice stereo; you will never use it.

In summary, compared to the 997.2 GTS, these are my impressions (quite subjectively):
1. Build quality exterior - 981 GTS
2. Build quality interior - 981 GTS
3. Design - Tie
4. Chassis - 981 GTS
5. Acceleration - 997.2
6. Braking - 997.2 (but my brakes are not broken in yet
7. Steering feel - 997.2
8. Comfort - 981 GTS
9. Cornering - 981 GTS
10. Sound - 981 GTS
11. Ground clearance - 981 GTS
12. Manual gearbox - Tie
13. "Driver experience" - Tie

I could not be happier with the 981 GTS (ptv, manual, agate, amber leather, SS door sill, rear wiper, park assist) I ordered. Is it better than my old 997.2 GTS? That's not really the question. They are both exceptional and the 981 is a very worthy replacement, which speaks very highly of the car. Make sure you order the ptv, however.

For anyone looking to order a 981 GTS, Mirek at Champion Porsche in Pompano, FL,was my SA. He did a great job, kept me informed throughout the process, and even delivered the car the SAME day it arrived at the dealer. When the used car manager low-balled my trade-in, Mirek discounted an additional $2k from the 981 I had ordered; savings came to $5300 off msrp, or 6.5%!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had the Alcantara interior on my 911, and it was a great option: cool, low maintenance, grippy, and durable. The areas that are exposed to direct contact with skin tend to get dirty in a few months. Otherwise, it is the perfect material for a sports car that lives in S FL or gets tracked. I chose the full leather for two reasons: 1. The color combo and bright contrast stitching, 2. The lighter color makes the small cabin feel less claustrophobic. Extremely happy with the quality of the full leather option, you can tell Audi was involved ;)

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'd have to disagree with the interior build quality of the 981 being better than the 997.

The interior panels are much flimsier (may account for all the rattle complaints from owners?), and the carpet and floor mats are thinner and feel a little cheaper in the 981 compared to the 997. I don't know if this was in the name of weight savings are cost savings or both, but the differences are noticeable to me.

I prefer the 997 interior quality.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
An interesting and thoughtful perspective. For now, I'm still loving my 997.2 GTS. I understand the lure of a Cayman GTS, and don't know whether I'll be able to resist a GT4.
I agree! The GT4 will be irrisistible, but I am not sure it will be as flexible as your 911 for everyday use. That was my concern. If you have another DD, then you cannot go wrong. I still think the 997.2 GTS is one of the best models of that era, mine just had too many issues over 14 months, unfortunately and I became very frustrated with the Service Techs at The Collection dealership.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Excellent posting, great insight. also,
+1 on the color combo. Really nice.
6.5% may be the record discount for a GTS, Congrats!

just curious, what makes you specifically call out the PTV as a must have option? I agree, just want to hear your reason. What I do not agree on is the stereo, but that's ok lol.
Lol! Go for the stereo! The PTV, I feel, adds a noticeable amount of grip and yaw control compared to stock. In dry conditions, the car can be cornered with such precision and speed while maintaining neutral steering that it is almost telepathic. I wonder how well it helps in the wet? Interestingly, the Porsche manual indicates that a mechanical diff AND selective wheel braking are used in PTV, can anyone confirm?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The 911 cockpit is definitely roomier, I would hazard to say the 981 can be downright claustrophobic in all black trim. I misspoke regarding "comfort" in my original post, I should have labeled the category ad "ride compliance." For cabin comfort, I agree with you, the 911 wins. Having a hatchback, though, has been a welcomed addition (at the cost of the rear jump seats).

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'd have to disagree with the interior build quality of the 981 being better than the 997.

The interior panels are much flimsier (may account for all the rattle complaints from owners?), and the carpet and floor mats are thinner and feel a little cheaper in the 981 compared to the 997. I don't know if this was in the name of weight savings are cost savings or both, but the differences are noticeable to me.

I prefer the 997 interior quality.
I agree with you on the carpet quality and floor mats, definitely better on the 997. As for the interior panels, my 997 had the basic GTS interior, with bare plastic panels and dash, while my 981 is completely covered in stitched leather. That may be why my 981 feels so much better in terms of build quality. The basic 981 trim, I agree, could be better. The full leather option is worth every penny!

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
I agree! The GT4 will be irrisistible, but I am not sure it will be as flexible as your 911 for everyday use. That was my concern. If you have another DD, then you cannot go wrong.
The other DD is a 987.2 CS...depending on the off-track utility of a GT4, it could potentially replace the 2012 CS. I wouldn't have a problem with two Caymans (wife drives the 987.2, I drive the GT4) but the extra space and more relaxed road trip manners of the 911 are welcome attributes of the 997.2 platform. If the GT4 is as easy to live with on the street as a GT3, my wife wouldn't have any problem using it to go to the gym, shopping and work...journeys that total less than 4,000 miles a year...and we could keep the 911 as the "utility" vehicle, with the GT4 becoming the track weapon when the new facility opens near here next year (there has been no viable road course within 500 miles of my location for the past couple of years).

After seeing a black/black Boxster GTS in the parking garage of the Porsche museum in September she was on me to order one. "Just do it," she advised. "You know you want one." She knows me too well; I do like the 981 platform. On the edge of my seat awaiting the GT4 variant.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The other DD is a 987.2 CS...depending on the off-track utility of a GT4, it could potentially replace the 2012 CS. I wouldn't have a problem with two Caymans (wife drives the 987.2, I drive the GT4) but the extra space and more relaxed road trip manners of the 911 are welcome attributes of the 997.2 platform. If the GT4 is as easy to live with on the street as a GT3, my wife wouldn't have any problem using it to go to the gym, shopping and work...journeys that total less than 4,000 miles a year...and we could keep the 911 as the "utility" vehicle, with the GT4 becoming the track weapon when the new facility opens near here next year (there has been no viable road course within 500 miles of my location for the past couple of years).

After seeing a black/black Boxster GTS in the parking garage of the Porsche museum in September she was on me to order one. "Just do it," she advised. "You know you want one." She knows me too well; I do like the 981 platform. On the edge of my seat awaiting the GT4 variant.
The 911 as the "utility" vehicle? Love it! It is uncanny how the wives know exactly how to get what they want...

·
Registered
60 Posts
My sa is located in porsche of southhampton in ny he gave me 5500 off msrp on my gts order. Car is coming in jan 9 th

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 65 Posts