Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So techs were troubleshooting my 981S with just under 7K's and tons of electrical problems see http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-boxster-problems-complaints/80705-continued-electrical-issues-981-:(. When they were trying to reproduce the PSM issue the check engine light came on and they got it back in the shop they determined the catalytic converter was bad and would need to be replaced, of course none are in the states and it has to come from Germany. The Service manager told me they would have it overnighted and have it Monday and I could have the car back. When I asked him to please explain to me how a bad catalytic converter could cause PSM or blower or stereo issues he fumbled around for a bit without a good explanation.

I was so pissed off after hearing another issue with the car, I immediately called Porsche NA to ask that they start the process to replace the car and I got a song and dance about well it has to meet all the requirements in the warranty document to be replaced and I would have to follow those exactly.

Now I'm really pissed off the car is obviously a lemon but I sure don't feel like messing around with until it hits 30 days of loss of use etc... as required by Ohio Lemon laws and would think Porsche Cars NA would not want a customer so pissed off he leaves the brand :crazy:.

I spoke to the manager at the dealership and he is going to see if the dealership can buy the car back and then they can deal with Porsche NA but he was not sure if they could do it or not.

Guess I'll wait until Monday when the customer advocate contacts me to see what her response is to my request that she escalate this up her chain of command.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Start looking for a good attorney that specializes in lemon law and keep the number handy just in case, document everything, get everything in writing from dealer and Porsche, don't take anything for granted and by all means become a PIA, but politely. It's your hard earned money, not theirs. Be as nice with your SA as possible but don't sit on things, email as much as possible to keep paper trail evident in case things get ugly, stack odds on your side. Don't let them give you a run around, don't get emotional (though I know its's hard) keep a cool determined pace and follow through. Please keep us all posted.

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
Start looking for a good attorney that specializes in lemon law and keep the number handy just in case, document everything, get everything in writing from dealer and Porsche, don't take anything for granted and by all means become a PIA, but politely. It's your hard earned money, not theirs. Be as nice with your SA as possible but don't sit on things, email as much as possible to keep paper trail evident in case things get ugly, stack odds on your side. Don't let them give you a run around, don't get emotional (though I know its's hard) keep a cool determined pace and follow through. Please keep us all posted.
Cincy - I agree totally w stratman. I know it's a lot of aggravation but start a chronological file where 1st item is point of 1st problem/incident. In summary form (but with references) include thereafter all emails, phone calls, face to face discussions, hard paper letters, etc. describing your pain and suffering. Inconveniences, costs, time etc. encountered when and where. When your file is current THEN SHARE it with all and WITH YOUR "respectful view" of what you want done in order to make you feel like a valued PCar customer to mitigate all the suffering you experienced. Share it with Dealer, Case rep at PCNA , District Sales, Regional Sales, PCNA Sales and anyone else you can think of and whomever. Send a copy to CEO PCNA with case # reference on envelope. I have his name and that of Sales Manager PCAG. PM me if you want them.

IMHO they, PCars need to recognize you are serious and you are going the whole 9 yds to get car replaced - that you are not going away - and will employ all/any laws applicable. This detailed history doc tells them that. Also a 1st step for an attorney review if you need to go there. PCNA can read the implication of this approach and know for sure where you are going.

Some years ago I had a trans/drive train problem that defied correction, and it took me 6 mos with such documentation sent repeatedly (updated as new stuff happened with no correction) up the chain to finally get a Regional Sales Manager to sign off on a Dealer buyback. That got me a get NEW replacement vehicle. Funny but about 2 weeks later I saw my old car on the road, so Dealer just put it back on the lot.

Good luck. You would hope PCNA would be less obstinate, but IMO the guys in Atlanta are just following the script (warranty fine print). Eventually when enough people feel enough pain from all involved, those with sign off OK (in Atlanta ??) will say how do we make this problem (guy) disappear (figuratively speaking of course).

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Excellent advice; take as business like an approach as possible and I think you'll get a better response.

Questions:
How many days at the dealership as of today?
How many attempts to fix the problem?
Did you special order the car or get it off the lot?
Build date?

Best of luck with it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excellent advice; take as business like an approach as possible and I think you'll get a better response.

Questions:
How many days at the dealership as of today?
How many attempts to fix the problem?
Did you special order the car or get it off the lot?
Build date?

Best of luck with it.
All good advice and while I'm frustrated I've not crossed to emotional and have built a complete file of what has happened.

I think today is the 14th or 15th day in the shop for the various issues

This is the 4th trip into the shop in the past two months

Car was one of the initial one the Dealer got with release

Build Date was 06/2012

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
Don't think for a minute that PCNA will be your friend or helper. They will listen and send email replies but they and Porsche AG are NOT at all consumer friendly or caring. They do not (as they did years ago) do anything to maintain customer satisfaction in their product and keep the customer satisfied or worry about their image. It's all about big profits on every sale. That they know how to do.
I've was screwed by a dealer and they did nothing to help. The CT attorney general reply to my problem was - that is common practice by dealers.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So Porsche thinks they have addressed the issues with the car.
They replaced the CAT and one of the sensor modules associated with the CAT that they say was sending bad signals into the system causing the PSM failure and check engine. They also discovered that the control module for the car was not married to the VIN, not sure what that means but they say it could cause some of my outlying issues with my top and my stereo. Blower is still a mystery but since it first failed and they re-checked all the connections so hopefully that was just a bad connection. They say my iPod is working since they reloaded the PCM. So Fingers crossed my car is back and ready for some of the nice spring weather we are do to get soon.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Good news! Just keep your file handy, document any further problems, and don't throw away any repair documentation, correspondence between parties involved from this last episode, just in case any issues crop up again. For now just enjoy your car!

·
Registered
44 Posts
They replaced the CAT and one of the sensor modules associated with the CAT that they say was sending bad signals into the system causing the PSM failure and check engine. They also discovered that the control module for the car was not married to the VIN, not sure what that means but they say it could cause some of my outlying issues with my top and my stereo. Blower is still a mystery but since it first failed and they re-checked all the connections so hopefully that was just a bad connection. They say my iPod is working since they reloaded the PCM. So Fingers crossed my car is back and ready for some of the nice spring weather we are do to get soon.
Do you know what factory your car was built,,osnabrueck or stuttgart

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
They also discovered that the control module for the car was not married to the VIN, not sure what that means
Unfortunately, IMHO it means that someone, possibly even in the factory QA department, already attempted to shotgun this particular problem by replacing random modules.

OTOH I wouldn't be too quick to blame Porsche for the iPod issue, as they are at the mercy of whoever built the stereo and/or the iPod interface in it. I have to reboot my iPhone every so often to get it to work properly with my aftermarket Kenwood head unit, and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the same degree of flakiness occurs in my 981S.

iPod/iPhone owners should certainly complain early and often about stuff like this, but I don't think we can expect any real resolution. Too many cooks in that particular kitchen.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Glad to hear of the resolution; hopefully this will be complete fix. Please keep us apprised of further developments.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
They also discovered that the control module for the car was not married to the VIN, not sure what that means but they say it could cause some of my outlying issues with my top and my stereo.
Did they mention that the module was "VINless" or did it have another number. I wonder if there is another car out there also suffering problems as they have your control module and VIN number.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Did they mention that the module was "VINless" or did it have another number. I wonder if there is another car out there also suffering problems as they have your control module and VIN number.

I expect that all control modules are VINless. The modules are "paired" with the ECU (which is the heart of the vehicle's electronics). It is the ECU which knows the vehicles VIN. Not sure where it gets it, but I suspect it is static.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

They said it had not been paired, not improperly paired, so I am assuming it was VINless.

I did spend an hour in the car this morning and went through every feature I could think of NAV to Sat to Monitoring functions, parking brake, top, iPod and every combination of driving options sport mode, PDK auto/manual shifting, auto-stop start, PASM on and off. Everything seemed fine but I'll be happy when I go 3 or 4 weeks with no aberrations.

I also asked them to let me know the result of the diagnoses of the CAT failure as they were sending it back to Germany for analysis.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I think some give good advise, however I used to be that guy that could authorize a buy back. My policy was simple, if I needed to call you I'd listen then would say something like, sir or miss, let me help you in one of two ways, first I'd like to supervise the next repair, if we can fix it you will be happy, and for your time i will either make your next payment or extend your warranty to give you piece of mind. It's your choice.

If it comes back and you meet the lemon laws I will authorize a replacement.

I didn't replace many cars. Every once in a while someone would flip out and I say this, you are welcome to get a lawyer, but right now you don't meet the presumption of the lemon laws, if you did I'd just replace your car. I have to warn you, if you choose to get a lawyer I can no longer help you. I am not a lawyer and if you have a lawyer, I am required to drop out and refer the case to our council. You should know that it does take at least six months for the courts to hear your case. I'd much prefer you and I figure this out over the next week.

Like I said, I didn't replaces many cars, and most give me an opportunity to fix their car.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I think some give good advise, however I used to be that guy that could authorize a buy back. My policy was simple, if I needed to call you I'd listen then would say something like, sir or miss, let me help you in one of two ways, first I'd like to supervise the next repair, if we can fix it you will be happy, and for your time i will either make your next payment or extend your warranty to give you piece of mind. It's your choice.

If it comes back and you meet the lemon laws I will authorize a replacement.

I didn't replace many cars. Every once in a while someone would flip out and I say this, you are welcome to get a lawyer, but right now you don't meet the presumption of the lemon laws, if you did I'd just replace your car. I have to warn you, if you choose to get a lawyer I can no longer help you. I am not a lawyer and if you have a lawyer, I am required to drop out and refer the case to our council. You should know that it does take at least six months for the courts to hear your case. I'd much prefer you and I figure this out over the next week.

Like I said, I didn't replaces many cars, and most give me an opportunity to fix their car.

Good Luck.
Hello Ampfore,

I think if more people would take your approach, there would be little concern and have faith that the problem would get resolution. Unfortunately, IMO, the industry norm is pretty callous to these types of situations. And it amazes me how being calm and rational to get closer to situation is ignored until you have to go ballistic.

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
Keep an eye on things- and keep exact records of phone calls, discussions, etc.
Ohio lemon law says:

Ohio

Passenger car, light truck (no more than one ton load capacity and not used in business), or motorcycle. Also includes chassis portion of motor homes.

3 repair attempts or 30 calendar days out of service. 8 repair attempts for different problems. 1 attempt to repair condition likely to cause death or serious bodily injury.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts