Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,402 Posts
Maintenance costs on an older Ferrari are really in another league unfortunately. Like others have said, I'd concentrate on a new "R" if you're in the market for a new one.

Good luck with the search and please don't hesitate to ask for more feedback from the folks here!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Enjoying this string. Can this car guy request a pic of your F-car? Good luck in finding the right car.
Here you go Chomper. 1993 348 GTS Speciale #71/80. 8cyl 5spd manual. Rear engine. Racing headers to tubi catless. New cam and adjustments, Hi flow intakes, plugs and ported heads. Kevlar racing seats and carbon fiber interior. Custom cut alum/magnesium 360 3pc modular wheels w pirelli Pzeros. Its a blast but its time to let it go.
Nd

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Maintenance costs on an older Ferrari are really in another league unfortunately. Like others have said, I'd concentrate on a new "R" if you're in the market for a new one.

Good luck with the search and please don't hesitate to ask for more feedback from the folks here!
You are not kidding, the regular maintenance of fluids, regular upkeep can be 3-5K per year. the major services run 7-10K and can be much more if you have a water pump go bad a set of valves is 15K!
Time to go to german engineering.
Nd

·
Registered
108 Posts
You are not kidding, the regular maintenance of fluids, regular upkeep can be 3-5K per year. the major services run 7-10K and can be much more if you have a water pump go bad a set of valves is 15K!
Time to go to german engineering.
Nd
The 360 generation of F cars is lower maintanence (no need for engine out service) and more reliable than previous generations. Have you thought about an early 00's 360? They can be had for around price of a Cayman R. Mid engine'd, more horsepower, and classic curves (IMO better curves than the 430s or 458's- ALMOST as nice as the cayman's ;) ), but the maintanence is still pricey.

I appreciate a nice car no matter the marque... Don't get me wrong I love my Cayman S, I got it for a steal, but for the price point of a new CR that might be something else to consider

·
Registered
389 Posts
You are making a great move. Not that the Cayman is superior or anyting along those lines, but maintenance costs are what scared me away from F car ownership. One of my co-workers spent the value of my 08 Cayman S in maintenance for his F car in a single year. Sure I would love a Ferarri, but I cannot and do not want to afford the maintenance. I don't have enough disposable income and not quite sure if I ever will.

The CS has been pretty trouble free and the maintenance cost is typically an oil change every year since I only drive it 6 months out of the year! Even that is <$100 if you DIY. Last year I changed the air and cabin filters for <$60 DIY and a new rebuilt interstate battery last year for $60. Had a private mechanic do a coolant flush last year for about $150. This summer will be the biggest maintenance to date because I will be changing rotors and pads which will be <$1000 DIY, a cracked windshield which should be <$500, spark plugs which are <$60 DIY and a brake fluid flush which is <$50 DIY.

Grand total for 4 year maintenance cost (including this years costs) = $2280 = $570 on average per year to date.

Relatively inexpensive maintenance costs = lots of money to spare for mods :)

·
Registered
841 Posts
Iooked into buying a 348 a year ago as a companion to what was then my '08 Cayman. If you do things yourself (DIY) then the costs of maintenance are significantly reduced. There is a very informative site http://www.my348.com that has great detail and information on regular maintenance of this model. They have even gone so far as finding alternate sources for common parts such as lights and filters that you can get at your local Pep Boys :)
In the end I decided on trading up to a Cayman R, went to the dealership and walked out with a Spyder...LOL!

·
Porschiste
1,444 Posts
Here you go Chomper. 1993 348 GTS Speciale #71/80. 8cyl 5spd manual. Rear engine. Racing headers to tubi catless. New cam and adjustments, Hi flow intakes, plugs and ported heads. Kevlar racing seats and carbon fiber interior. Custom cut alum/magnesium 360 3pc modular wheels w pirelli Pzeros. Its a blast but its time to let it go.
Nd

Very classic looking car. Nice. :cheers:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Input on this scenario please.
a low mile gen 1 Cayman S car with an installed sump, headers and cat back high flow (capristo, tubi, etc) and a TPC low pressure turbocharger upgrade? I may be able to do all this and still have money in my pocket after selling my current car.

Please send your positives and negs on this idea
thanks!
Nd

·
Registered
841 Posts
A Gen 1 CS is going to be in the 35k+ range, and all those mods will be at least another 10k...last I checked 348's were in the 35-50k range depending on year and condition. Unless your 348 is at the very upper end of that range I doubt you will have anything left over.

·
Northeast Group Member
305 Posts
Nd
Wow. Looks awesome. Can't believe it's about 20 years old. Thanks for sharing!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts