Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just picked up a delightful 09 leftover Cayman S at an incredible price from a local dealer here in Montreal and I must admit I'm very impressed with the car already. Coming from a 2008 Audi R8 I was worried I would be underwhelmed with the car but so far I'm simply amazed at how much fun the Cayman S is.

While the R8 felt big and large the Cayman feels quick and nimble. I don't even miss the power of the R8 that much as the Cayman S weights 600 lbs less and it really shows. Anyway I'll be writing a more detailed comparo in the appropriate section soon enough.

Options are:

Guards Red
6-speed manual
Leather Sport seats
Sport Chrono Pkg W/out PCM
Bose
Carbon Pkg
Universal Audio
Bixenon Headlights with Dynamic cornering
Side Strips (removed!)
Porsche crests in headrest
Seat belts Guards Red

The experience with the dealer was very good throughout, I even got my dad to purchase a leftover 09 Carrera S convertible from the same salesman.

After having driven both the I gotta say I love the Cayman S even more. It's stiffer, sportier and feels about just as quick while feeling more balanced. The carbon package, while I wouldn't have paid the $1200 for it had I ordered the car myself, looks pretty good.

What I don't like about the Cayman S: not much really except the Audio interface that needs PCM 3.0 in order to have full iPod integration. Stupid but will be fixed with an aftermarket kit soon enough. Also the steering wheel feels too skinny. That's about it so far!

Can't wait to try it out at the track!

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Congrats! There is another forum member who owns both a CS & R8. It would appear you got yourself a good spec car from the dealer. I've seen Guards Red with Carbon Pkg & it looks great! I was so close to getting CF, but the aluminum II Pkg won in the end.

The CS is light & nimble as you described, I personally feel a CS with SC or a simple Softronic tune is more than enough power for a DFI CS, just the right balance IMO.

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
Congrats on the new car. Any pics of the Carbon package?

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
What I don't like about the Cayman S: not much really except the Audio interface that needs PCM 3.0 in order to have full iPod integration. Stupid but will be fixed with an aftermarket kit soon enough. Also the steering wheel feels too skinny. That's about it so far!

Can't wait to try it out at the track!
That's because the steering wheel is NOT the standard MY10 Cayman wheel. They deleted the "standard" steering wheel, now all Cayman's come with "sports" steering wheel. Maybe you can ask the dealer for the newer upgrade.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
congrats, you'll be suprised after break in how the gen 2 CS is faster than the v8 R8 till about 200km/h till the mighty V8 kicks in for top speed.

Enjoy in best health.

·
Premium Member
1,008 Posts
Congratulations!

It's a crazy world isn't it. I mean the concept the someone is coming -from- an R8 to a CS blows my mind. In a good way.

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Is it judgement day already?!!

Come on, guys!!! Not that I don't love the Cayman but for God's sake he is talking about an R8 !! I would have accepted and agreed with you if he shifted to a 911 Turbo... but the difference between the Cayman & R8 is so big!

And my friend Dr. Kareem, are you telling me that the Cayman S Gen 2 beats the R8 to 200 km/hr?!! :crazy:

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Is it judgement day already?!!

Come on, guys!!! Not that I don't love the Cayman but for God's sake he is talking about an R8 !! I would have accepted and agreed with you if he shifted to a 911 Turbo... but the difference between the Cayman & R8 is so big!

And my friend Dr. Kareem, are you telling me that the Cayman S Gen 2 beats the R8 to 200 km/hr?!! :crazy:
Yes, the V8 R8 is a joke as a supercar.. All show and no go!

I've played around with one on the streets and our dear member Arth raced one too without launch control and was infront till 200km/h too.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well there are 2 reasons why I sold the R8: the cost of the car as my priorities changed over time and the brakes which weren't good enough for a car of that weight. After 2 sets of warped rotors at the track (about 6 track days total!) I was done with it.

However, say what you will about the R8, it never lacked any power in my opinion. It had plenty to get me into trouble and I was never a horsepower junkie. Where it shined most is how stable and how much grip it had at the track. Coming out of corners it felt absolutely flat and I hung out not far from the GT3s and GT3 RS. I felt the things keeping me from keeping up with them was experience and better tires. I was regularly overtaking 997 Turbos. Though the R8 didn't have as much power it was much easier to corner with the car and that's where I was able to gain ground.

The R8 was more comfortable to ride in around town with the magnetic suspension. It was attracting attention everywhere I went. Sometimes it drove me mad. Surprisingly a bright red Porsche seems invisible compared to it!

The R8 felt like a GT, heavier, wider, more powerful, more extravagant, more comfortable on long cruises (surprisingly comfortable!).

One thing I think is very important to mention.: I think I would've been disappointed with the Cayman S had it not had the Sport Chrono option. IMHO it totally changes the character of the car and it makes the experience of driving the car even more thrilling. Throttle response was so good in the R8 that I had to have something similar.

I love the stiff clutch of the CS, it's nimbleness, how quick it is around town without flooring it, how it doesn't hide its purpose of being a sports car first. I thought I was downgrading and in fact it feels like I went to something totally different instead. In fact I'll go as far as to say that the difference in price between the R8 and CS is not worth it.

I'll write up a better comparo once I've been to the track a few times with the CS.

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
Welcome to the site, nice car! If you need more cabon items check with DB Carbon, I'm doing an article right now on one of their parts and should publish it shortly. Your depiction of the R8 is about how I view it, not as nimble as the Cayman but with more power and weight and comfort features. Simply different.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
When my Audi dealer called me 2 years ago and said I was at the top of the list and should come in and spec my car... I was excited. I had only owned my '07CS for about 6 months and the R8 would take another 4 to arrive. But I was not about to buy a car I'd never driven...so it was arranged for me to drive one locally......

Okay, nice car, for sure...but not worth 2x the price of the CS...no way. The mag ride was really the only true differentiator to me...handling, response, comfort, feeling at one with the car, feeling the car could sense my next move; well the CS wins hands down.

Sorry Audi.... I've owned 4 since my 100LS in 1970...but the CS beats the R8 (and no, I don't track, like probably 90% of those of you reading this post).

1 - 20 of 33 Posts