Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will these offsets work on CS or is it way too aggressive?

front-19x8.5 +40 rears-19x12 +65

·
Registered
184 Posts
Fronts should be okay - not ideal but okay.
Rears are Too Wide - 11" is the limit.
You really think an 8.5 ET 40 will fit up front? That projects outward 23mm (0.9") more than the stock 18's. I've seen 8.5ET45 and figured that was the limit. Maybe extra negative camber would help. I was just looking at my stock fronts the other day because I want to put on 8.5ET50s and I was worried there wasn't enough room for them. There should be but they look close as it is.

·
Registered
620 Posts
You really think an 8.5 ET 40 will fit up front? That projects outward 23mm (0.9") more than the stock 18's. I've seen 8.5ET45 and figured that was the limit. Maybe extra negative camber would help. I was just looking at my stock fronts the other day because I want to put on 8.5ET50s and I was worried there wasn't enough room for them. There should be but they look close as it is.
Hi Jmazz,
Since you mention it, I just took a measurement on my car. I have 8.5"xET53 front wheels (and 255 tires). With the -1.3 degrees camber I have, it looks like the absolute Max that could be accommodated, perhaps even rolling the inside of the fender lip, would be 15 more mm. This equates to ET38. Therefore, I think ET40 will JUST fit, at -1.3 degrees camber or greater. Again not ideal, but should be just possible. For the street, I expect the increased steering effort and kickback, due to the significantly increased scrub radius, would be Annoying. Thats why most all front Porsche wheels are ET50-something. I hope this helps. Regards, Jeff.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Thanks for the feedback Jeff. I am going to be putting 245s on my 8.5ET50s but I am camber challenged. I'm very confident they will fit based on what I have read but when I look at it I start to wonder.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi Jmazz,
Since you mention it, I just took a measurement on my car. I have 8.5"xET53 front wheels (and 255 tires). With the -1.3 degrees camber I have, it looks like the absolute Max that could be accommodated, perhaps even rolling the inside of the fender lip, would be 15 more mm. This equates to ET38. Therefore, I think ET40 will JUST fit, at -1.3 degrees camber or greater. Again not ideal, but should be just possible. For the street, I expect the increased steering effort and kickback, due to the significantly increased scrub radius, would be Annoying. Thats why most all front Porsche wheels are ET50-something. I hope this helps. Regards, Jeff.
Jeff, I really like your set up and read your article before with all your research. A couple quick questions: did you look at 35 sidewalls vs the 30 you have? I wonder if that is closer or too big than the stock diameter. The reason I am asking is I[m not sure I'm gonna lower the car was'nt sure if the 35 would fill in the gap better without rubbing.
thanks,

·
Registered
620 Posts
Jeff, I really like your set up and read your article before with all your research. A couple quick questions: did you look at 35 sidewalls vs the 30 you have? I wonder if that is closer or too big than the stock diameter. The reason I am asking is I[m not sure I'm gonna lower the car was'nt sure if the 35 would fill in the gap better without rubbing.
thanks,
Hi Gatorskin,
Thanks.
First - what car do you have? If it's a CS, then my stuff applies. If it's the 2002 (986) Boxster S (in your signature), then the rear wheels are too wide and the tires too tall.

If you have a CS, or a 987 Boxster (2005 or newer), then, you could go with my sizes. You could use OEM tires 235/35/19 & 265/35/19 OR my sizes, which are 255/30/19 & 295/30/19. (There are some other options, but I like this best for these wheel sizes). The 30-series tires I run are both about .378" shorter in overall Diameter (.189" radius), which is about 1.4% shorter than OEM (pretty close) - front & rear. A lot of this is subjective, but, If I were going with wheels this aggressive, I'd also lower it; it creates a nicely matched package. I used and of this. Good luck, Jeff.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Hi Gatorskin,
Thanks.
First - what car do you have? If it's a CS, then my stuff applies. If it's the 2002 (986) Boxster S (in your signature), then the rear wheels are too wide and the tires too tall.

If you have a CS, or a 987 Boxster (2005 or newer), then, you could go with my sizes. You could use OEM tires 235/35/19 & 265/35/19 OR my sizes, which are 255/30/19 & 295/30/19. (There are some other options, but I like this best for these wheel sizes). The 30-series tires I run are both about .378" shorter in overall Diameter (.189" radius), which is about 1.4% shorter than OEM (pretty close) - front & rear. A lot of this is subjective, but, If I were going with wheels this aggressive, I'd also lower it; it creates a nicely matched package. I used and of this. Good luck, Jeff.
Correction - If you use 11" wide rear wheels like mine, then the OEM rear tire is too narrow (only recommended up to 10"). If you desire to use 35-series rear tires on the 11" wheels, then you could go 275/35/19, which are .233" taller in diameter (0.88%); but, I sure like my 295/30s..

·
Registered
662 Posts
I use 11" rims on the rear of my CS with 14mm spacers and they work great with 285/30/19's. I'm currently using Potenza REO50 A's. Originally had 35's on but they rubbed, no problem with the 30's.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Correction - If you use 11" wide rear wheels like mine, then the OEM rear tire is too narrow (only recommended up to 10"). If you desire to use 35-series rear tires on the 11" wheels, then you could go 275/35/19, which are .233" taller in diameter (0.88%); but, I sure like my 295/30s..
Thanks so much for the info. I am actively looking for a 987.1 or 987.2 in meteor gray b/c I really like the way yours looks. When I get one I think I'll go ahead and get the same setup you have b/c it looks great. My only hesitation to lowering the car is scrubbing but the roads here in N. FL are pretty nice so hopefully it wont be a problem.

·
Registered
620 Posts
...I am actively looking for a 987.1 or 987.2 in meteor gray b/c I really like the way yours looks. When I get one I think I'll go ahead and get the same setup you have b/c it looks great. My only hesitation to lowering the car is scrubbing but the roads here in N. FL are pretty nice so hopefully it wont be a problem.
Thank you! I love it too. FYI, my car is Slate grey. (My interior is natural brown which I also like).

You won't scrub - except steep incline/entrances (and there are some rubber flaps in front of the front wheels that scrub some - no prob). Good luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts