Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get access to the front fender for the purpose of paintless dent removal.
How in the world can I remove the head light assembly ?
It looks like I have to remove the entire front trunk interior trim.
Has anyone attempted this ?

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
And pay SPECIAL attention you get the right hole. Both the headlight removal hole and the vertical headlight adjustment one have the same rubber cap. The video I saw was confusing, since it didn't show both caps; just one. And I got the wrong one. After turning it several half turns, and the headlight didn't move, I knew I screwed up. Ended up adjusting the headlights a bit higher, now perfect, but man, wasn't looking at spending hours at an empty street with a wall on both sides doing that. At any rate, the headlight doesn't 'screw out', but only releases with a 1/4-turn, so if you go past that and rather easily, then you made the same mistake I did. Ha ha. Don't even attempt to mess with the blue plug; that's for the horizontal adjustment, and if you try to remove the plug, it'd break. Hopefully the guy from the video I saw re-posted showing both plugs, so you know exactly which one to turn right away. It'll sound awful, but nothing will break if you twist it the right way;). Good luck.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Guys...I was not aware that the tool was included.
So bottomline: ignore the blue plug.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On another forum, I've been told the passenger-side is fraught with problems....
namely the fuel tank filler, fuel vapor recovery and charcoal canister hardware.
This requires the entire fender to be removed !!!!
Suddenly...paintless dent removal looks doomed.
Time to pull-out the air compressor and HVLP gun.....luckily I have a pint of black basalt metallic urethane.
Boy, this sucks...really sucks....
but I didn't create the dents....it was the former owner.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Some good news: dents are in front of the gas filler.....

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Should have taken a photo of all 3 adjustment holes with clear arrows indicating which is which. But from lowest to highest, first is the headlight release. Next (right above), with a blue plug (which shouldn't be touched), is the headlight horizontal adjustment. And last (highest), offset a little, is the headlight vertical adjustment. For the release, you insert the tool below the headlight, and you need to push it forward, meaning turning tool clockwise on driver's headlight, and counterclockwise on passenger one (US cars, of course;)). It takes about 1/4-turn, and sound is not pleasant, but nothing is going to break. After some force, it'll 'CLACK' forward, then you just pull it slowly until the harness stops it, then patiently remove the plug for complete removal. It's a little tight in there, but perfectly doable, even with large hands. Hope this helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.