Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
167 Posts
Product Light Technology Electronic device Auto part

I have been contemplating trying these latest offerings from Philips after doing a bit of research.
The advantages are a 'quality' company with a small ballast which I reckon will fit entirely in housing. Disadvantages are 'technically' not road legal but the fact that they are likely not CANBUS compatible means the chance of a dash warning, which I do not want. They also retail for around £140 or $170 on eBay which is quite a few 'bucks' to take a chance with.
If anybody is brave enough to take the 'plunge' and give them a try, I would be very interested in feedback. I have a 2014 981C with horrible standard halogens and would love a 'bright white' upgrade if these bulbs have no errors!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have tried a number of replacement bulbs in various shades of blue from various manufacturers and nothing has come close to the white light look. The best looking is the Philips Diamond Vision 5000K but the dark coating robs lots of light output. LED bulbs are a step forward in output and give a lovely crisp white light but the possible error code is holding me back.
That said, I have Philips Ultinon LED replacement bulbs in the fog lights of our Macan and they match the LED headlights beautifully with no fault codes. However I suspect fogs are not CANBUS monitored unlike headlights.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
It'd probably be wiser to upgrade (from a rear-ended car, perhaps) to the factory bi-xenon PDLSs, no? I personally like them better than LEDs aesthetically, plus they're reportedly brighter in high-beam, and only marginally dimmer in low one. And I'm talking proper factory LED headlights on other cars. But all future cars are going to probably have them standard, in not too many years. And no, I've removed the headlights, and there's absolutely no extra space for anything in there, especially the big a$$ heatsinks needed for headlights. It'd have to be a hack job to make them work. I checked to see if I could fit an LED for the turn-signals, and impossible; it's a tiny bulb, with zero space to spare.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It'd probably be wiser to upgrade (from a rear-ended car, perhaps) to the factory bi-xenon PDLSs, no?
The big problem is that I don't know what I have currently installed !!!!
Are the bi-xenon's a special option or what ?

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
You need to decode your VIN, if you don't know the options on your car. I know PDLS (Porsche Dynamic Lighting System) is part of the premium and premium+ packages, but there's also PDLS+ (Which adds high-beam assist), which don't remember being part of any package, but requires PDLS (obviously) to add. As you know, it's a mess with options;). Don't know if it could be had independently, but don't remember seeing it. I have it, and the lighting is excellent. The projector has a xenon bulb for low and high beam, plus there's an extra bulb (below the projector), which I assume is halogen, that is high-beam only, so high-beam lights the road really good. The good news about Porsche is you can replace the headlamps in 5 minutes. The only thing is you need to find out if the wiring is pre-wired for PDLS, since they have a function that the projector rotates as you move the steering wheel. If your car is not coded but it's pre-wired, it can be done. Or it could work right off the bat. Or maybe that function would never work, but the headlights would work fine just not rotating. Hopefully somebody with experience can pitch in. In the mean time, find out what options your car has. Look for a VIN decoder. Or google it. Good luck.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You need to decode your VIN, if you don't know the options on your car.
Well, according to the print-out obtained by my mechanic at Partslink | The Affordable Advertiser, I have all of these "MI" numbers.
Interestingly, one of them is : I605 - LED daytime driving lights.
I definitely do not have PDLS.

·
Registered
167 Posts
The LED driving lights are the strip of lights below the main headlight assembly on the Boxster and the small round lights on the Cayman. At least that is the set-up in Europe?

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Headlamp Automotive design

Bi xenon has horizontal slit in front of lower hi-beam bulb as shown. Non bi-xenon just has conical reflector around bulb with no slit in front.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.