Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Boxster S Manual
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to mount a front license plate on my 2015 Boxster S. I really don't want to drill into the car. What are best options?

Thanks
Ed

·
Registered
528 Posts
I bought a tow hook mount and keep it in the frunk in case I start getting harassed, but so far no problems, despite getting pulled over a couple times for a heavy right foot.

·
Registered
2008 Cayman S and 2010 GT3
161 Posts
I can’t believe I’m even going to suggest this... 😂I got pulled over with my 997 and I had the plate in the window...still got harassed... so knowing I’d get pulled over again in a pinch I bought some scotch outdoor double faced tape and ran it across the top and half way down the side and stuck it on.... it never came off and once I did I peeled it right off, no goo... it’s an option until u get a bracket

disclaimer: I did have to bend it some haha

·
Registered
'07 Cayman 'S'
73 Posts
Registering mine in AZ ... no front plate required ... :) ... :) ... :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
I know you said no drilling, but a relatively better place to do this is in the black center plastic piece. Far better than drilling into the painted bumper.

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
I used the Skene design but I beefed it up a little. I was concerned about the plate flapping so I added a piece of metal connecting the two verticals then screwed that to the black plastic piece behind with one small screw. It has never budged in over six years.

Reactions: SouthJerseyRider

·
Registered
2008 Cayman S and 2010 GT3
161 Posts
I never understood front plates... I don’t recall ever being pulled over while driving backwards 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't need any additional reasons to get pulled over, so I bought the US Mill Works plate for my 2014 Boxster. It screws into the tow hook hole on the front bumper, so no drilling required. The plate is off-center on the car, but looks good. It's expensive at $79.

The plate mechanism is really well made, although I learned the hard way that if you lean too hard against the plate while unloading your frunk you can break the bolt (it's designed that way, to break on impact rather then damage the tow hook or bumper). $20 for a replacement bolt.

·
Registered
2015 Boxster S Manual
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MidLifeCrisis: I like the screen name and I like the bracket! Would love more details if you have them. Did you fabricate something, or did you use off the shelf brackets from Hardware store?

Ed

I used the Skene design but I beefed it up a little. I was concerned about the plate flapping so I added a piece of metal connecting the two verticals then screwed that to the black plastic piece behind with one small screw. It has never budged in over six years.
View attachment 269840 View attachment 269841

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
MidLifeCrisis: I like the screen name and I like the bracket! Would love more details if you have them. Did you fabricate something, or did you use off the shelf brackets from Hardware store?

Ed
The Skene is basically two vertical brackets (see their web site) that are separated to the width of the license plate mounting holes. Each vertical is attached to the under lip of the bumper cover with double stick tape and one screw. Because my plate frame is heavy I JB welded a 1 1/2" piece of 1"x1/8" aluminum stock to the Skene bracket mounting surface and added one more screw hole which doubled the mounting strength. To eliminate the potential for flapping I screwed a horizontal peice of 1/2"x1/8"aluminum stock to the two verticals near the bottom. Then I bent a piece of the same stock to form the connection from the bottom of the plate frame to the black plastic insert in the bumper cover. Nothing touches the painted surface.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Renline one is very expensive but incredibly well made. It's also very adjustable to match the angle of the front of your car. Easy to install / remove. The backing plate is the same size as the license plate (not all of them are) so no floppin' in the breeze as you drive.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I loathe the front plate. Had the tow hook mount for a while, but hated that. This mod may be more work than you want to undertake, but I'm very happy with the look.

Reactions: SouthJerseyRider

·
Registered
19 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
View attachment 269840 View attachment 269841
I did the same -- Skein under the nose. I just ran a bit of double sided tape under the plate to secure the bottom (I didn't do the engineering for the lower mount). It's been 5 years and it's been secure.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts