Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
I loathe the front plate. Had the tow hook mount for a while, but hated that. This mod may be more work than you want to undertake, but I'm very happy with the look. View attachment 269904
I'm curious, I tried something like this, but could not get the plate to fit - did you cut the plate or cut a slot in the bottom?

·
Registered
734 Posts
Congratulations to Ohio who recently joined the ranks of states that do not require front plates! Good job guys! You're saving your state $2 million per year and beautifying the roadways!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I need to mount a front license plate on my 2015 Boxster S. I really don't want to drill into the car. What are best options?

Thanks
Ed
I found a custom shop that makes a bracket that attaches using magnets cemented inside the front bumper. Easy on and/off. I run with no front plate in MA, and put it on for annual inspection, or when I go into another state where plate on the front is required.

·
Registered
2015 Cayman
21 Posts
I loathe the front plate. Had the tow hook mount for a while, but hated that. This mod may be more work than you want to undertake, but I'm very happy with the look. View attachment 269904
I did a similar thing on my Cayman. I had a local custom shop “modify” my front plate to fit the center recessed grille area. While not technically legal (it’s missing “The Lone Star State” wording at the bottom), it looks good enough, since the usual plate frame covers that anyway. Never been stopped.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I use a tow hook plate mount - just screws in and stops level. I refused to damage the bumper too, to much a part of the design. Plus when you wash it or go to a show, you just un screw it and put it in the trunk until it is time to leave! The dealership threw it in with the deal - I have a 2015 CS.

·
Registered
542 Posts
The Skene is basically two vertical brackets (see their web site) that are separated to the width of the license plate mounting holes. Each vertical is attached to the under lip of the bumper cover with double stick tape and one screw. Because my plate frame is heavy I JB welded a 1 1/2" piece of 1"x1/8" aluminum stock to the Skene bracket mounting surface and added one more screw hole which doubled the mounting strength. To eliminate the potential for flapping I screwed a horizontal peice of 1/2"x1/8"aluminum stock to the two verticals near the bottom. Then I bent a piece of the same stock to form the connection from the bottom of the plate frame to the black plastic insert in the bumper cover. Nothing touches the painted surface.

View attachment 269850 View attachment 269851
I have the Skene also. I padded the back of the mount with foam backer rod. Unfortunately, people back into the plate while parking and I still got divots in the bumper, but it’s better than holes. The Skene protected me for a while and by the time the bumper had divots, I had other things to worry about- scrapes on the front undertray, scratched under the sills (steep driveway) Etc. it’s not a trailer queen, it’s a city driven car.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I need to mount a front license plate on my 2015 Boxster S. I really don't want to drill into the car. What are best options?

Thanks
Ed
I have a 2016 CS with parking sensors. I bought a tow hook plate mount from Cravenspeed. (Porsche Platypus Pro-Series License Plate Mount). Durable and and easy to remove. www.cravenspeed.com

·
Registered
2016 Cayman GTS
2 Posts
Keep in mind that if you have front parking sensor like I have on my 981 Cayman GTS, Rennline tow hook receiver will likely block the sensor, so not an option. I'm liking the Skene Designs (Skene Design No Holes Front License Plate Bracket), but agree that it will likely need additional bracing to mitigate vibration. Appreciate seeing these suggestions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't need any additional reasons to get pulled over, so I bought the US Mill Works plate for my 2014 Boxster. It screws into the tow hook hole on the front bumper, so no drilling required. The plate is off-center on the car, but looks good. It's expensive at $79.

The plate mechanism is really well made, although I learned the hard way that if you lean too hard against the plate while unloading your frunk you can break the bolt (it's designed that way, to break on impact rather then damage the tow hook or bumper). $20 for a replacement bolt.
US Mill Works, I was ready to order one for my 981 Cayman GTS but noticed it is not usable a car with parking sensors. Unfortunately my used car came with that option. Just a heads up.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts