Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my state finally caught up with me...they informed me that my vehicle was due for a safety/emissions check. I live in the lovely state of Rhode Island and figured...OK, no problem. Well, I was informed that a sticker would not be issued if there was no front plate. My state requires on, but I do not want to drill holes in my bumper to put on an ugly plate. Any suggestions? I am going in tomorrow and plan on using some double sided tape or that cushion tape stuff to temporarily get through. HELP!!!

·
On Probation
582 Posts
they can say its not "secued" but it sounds like a good idea [tape] give it a try

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
Please do a search - try "front plate" there's probably more than 20 threads on this subject, and quite a few solutions as well.

brad

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,272 Posts
I like the kit that allows you to use the bumper tow hook hole. I saw a post on the kit on here last week. A search might be able to bring it up for you.

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
USMMA89, I'm from VA and we require front plates also I refused to mount my plate for the first 58 days of Cayman ownership. On the 59th day, a situation involving a dutiful (read:psycho) cop, a totally hidden hole on an otherwise innocent looking bit of pavement on the side of the road, a warning, a call to Porsche roadside assistance, a tow truck, a new wheel, tire, alignment, and a rather large invoice (really large) from my dealer convinced me that not displaying the front plate was a bad reason to give Virginia's finest a reason to pull me over again. I got a kit from a former sponser of this site and am pleased with the results. I'm not sure about the rules regarding mentioning non-sponsor's products, so if you want me to send some pics of the install you can PM me for the info.

By the way - I do not know about any other state, but in VA, they can pull you over for no front plate. No other reason is needed as has been speculated in some other threads in the past. At least that's what my concerned officer told me.

Bret

·
Premium Member
1,605 Posts
By the way - I do not know about any other state, but in VA, they can pull you over for no front plate. No other reason is needed as has been speculated in some other threads in the past. At least that's what my concerned officer told me.

Bret
In Maryland, they can pull you over for just that, no front plate.

USMMA89 (or anyone else for that matter), if you're interested in the moweraxle, PM me. I've got one sitting around that I'm looking to sell. I just haven't had time to post it in the classifieds.

-Moto

·
Registered
432 Posts
Living in Ohio, we also require a front plate, from the day I left the dealer to now I've been only stopped twice, on the last stop they once again warned me but said they wanted to see the plate on the front and I had to go go back in for an inspection. I had the bracket from Mower Axle, it works fine and there's no drilling holes. Check it out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I live in WA where it is required to have a front plate, but I dont have one anyways, and police don't care. Sounds like your area is similar. You may want to try just throwing the plate on the dash, lots of cars get away with that. Just say that that is your permanent spot for it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Man I love this website!!! I have looked into the suggestions made and first of all I just want to thank all of you for spending a little time helping me out...secondly, I had my inspection this morning. So, last night I found some weather stripping, put two strips of that on the back of the plate, and then used some clear tape (backed onto itself) to stick it on. Did it when I arrived at the dealership and wasn't even asked about it. I am good for 2 years as far as inspections go, but always run the chance of getting pulled over.

Again, thanks everyone for your help!! :thanks:

·
Registered
6,829 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I live in Idaho, where a front plate is also required. After reading all of the recommendations on this site, I finally decided to try the product offered by Top Flight Reproductions. This is a front plate frame originally designed to fit corvettes, but works great on caymans as well. I did have to drill additional holes in the frame that holds the license plate to extend it further away from the front bumper, but it was not difficult. I have found it to be a good alternative to the others options mentioned on this site.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think it's just a matter of time - take a look at this thread:

http://www.planet-9.com/u-s-northwest-region/38197-no-front-plate-ticket.html

brad
Thanks for the heads up, it must just be that we live in different areas of WA. I have been driving for the past 6 years without a front plate and have not had any issues. I have got a few tickets for speeding too, but the officers have never mentioned the lack of plate.

It's a shame that our American plates are so ugly. If we had cleaner euro style plates I would put it on without a second thought.

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
Thanks for the heads up, it must just be that we live in different areas of WA. I have been driving for the past 6 years without a front plate and have not had any issues. I have got a few tickets for speeding too, but the officers have never mentioned the lack of plate.

It's a shame that our American plates are so ugly. If we had cleaner euro style plates I would put it on without a second thought.
Not sure where you live, but I thought I remembered him saying this was on the East Side in and around Bellevue. Maybe it depends on the officer's mood or the phase of the moon..

brad

·
Registered
28 Posts
Not sure where you live, but I thought I remembered him saying this was on the East Side in and around Bellevue. Maybe it depends on the officer's mood or the phase of the moon..

brad
Haha yeah, I am actually in Bellevue myself. Id be willing to bet that 90% of Washington state Porsche owners live in Bellevue lol...you can pretty much see one on the road at any given moment.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts