Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The front luggage compartment light in my 987 does not illuminate. It doesn't matter which position the switches near the rear-view mirror are in or whether the engine is running. All the other interior lights function fine.

I removed the bulb and connected it to a dry-cell battery and it did light up, and I cleaned both the ends of the bulb and the contact spring before I reinstalled the bulb, but the light still won't illuminate.

Any suggestions would be welcome. If anyone can tell me where the switch or sensor that controls the light when the front luggage compartment lid is opened or closed, I'd appreciate knowing that too.

Thanks in advance.

jD

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you know which fuse I should check?

I looked at the fuse layout diagram but did not see a fuse marked exclusively for the front luggage compartment; nor did I see front luggage compartment light mentioned anywhere on the diagram.

Because I could not find a fuse marked exclusively for the front light, I figured the same fuse must also protect some other light(s), but because all the other interior lights work fine, I discarded the notion that it's a fuse issue, perhaps erroneously.

Thanks.

jD

Attachments

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
The fuse is C3, but you'd notice lots of other things not working if it was blown. It powers most of the front end lighting controllers and switches (if not the lights themselves). I don't know if you have a 987.1 or 987.2, or if it even matters. Here's a link to the 987.1 wiring diagram. The front luggage compartment light is on pg 64.

987.1 Wiring

I'd suspect wiring. You'd need a multi-meter to diagnose this. Since the bulb works, that's eliminated. So either it isn't getting power or it isn't getting ground. Try to get to the connector behind the fixture. The blk/red wire should be constant +12v. The brn/grn wire goes to a switch which just grounds the circuit. So if your meter shows +12V on the red/blk wire when the other probe is grounded to the chassis, either the switch is bad, or the ground wire after the switch is not connected to the Ground Point (GP3).
If you're not getting +12v on the blk/red wire, then start looking back towards the Front End Control Unit on the right side of the luggage compartment. I'm assuming they mean the driver's side (right side when looking into the compartment). Likely under the plastic shroud or side carpet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had this last week, it was the switch/latch being a bit old and needing a bit of lubricating.

First thing to do is make sure all doors are closed and the frunk/froot is open, then try to lock the doors. If it beeps, this isn't your problem, if it doesn't beep, then bingo!

For me, I just got some WD-40, gave the latch area a really good spray, opened and closed (first time worked, but may take a couple) and it was sorted. Others have replaced latches and switches.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.