Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finished making my front license bracket 2016 CS... I didn't want to use the OEM bracket that requires running screws into the bumper cover...

This bracket is held on with a couple of clips that grab the bumper cover and a couple of strips of 3M VHB tape...

Made from T304 stainless steel, and curved to match the bumper shape.... Next step is to have it powder coated black...

Automotive exterior
Technology Electronic device
Automotive exterior Auto part
Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle Trunk Bumper part

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I took the bumper cover off and glued six 75 lb supermagnets to the inside and glued six of the same magnets onto the back of the factory license plate mount/bracket. A lot of work, but I can take it off and put it on in a second with no visible modification to the car. Each magnet pair only sees about 15 to 20 lbs pull due to the thickness of the bumper cover, but the 100 lbs total holding it on to the car is at least as stong as the factory screws through the soft bumper cover material.

V6

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I took the bumper cover off and glued six 75 lb supermagnets to the inside and glued six of the same magnets onto the back of the factory license plate mount/bracket. A lot of work, but I can take it off and put it on in a second with no visible modification to the car. Each magnet pair only sees about 15 to 20 lbs pull due to the thickness of the bumper cover, but the 100 lbs total holding it on to the car is at least as stong as the factory screws through the soft bumper cover material.
This also has the added benefit of allowing you to attach your car to the rear bumper bar of a semi on the interstate whenever you get tired of driving. ;)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After seeing Voyager6 post a quick video with his magnetic front plate mount method, I decided to abandon the 3M tape attachment method.

Yesterday I modified my mount to incorporate some Ebay Chinesum 168 pound pull magnets. They are strong, but not 168 pounds strong....

I'll still need to get behind the bumper skin to add additional magnets...

A hat tip to Voyager6.... Thank you sir for the magnet idea...

Technology Electronics Electronic device

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
While at the shop I put in a little more work on my neodymium license plate mount.

Getting the proper curvature...

Black Footwear Blue Tire Shoe

Replaced the front panel with a piece of titanium.... I'll most likely add some lightning holes as well.... The original SS was a bit too heavy...

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Black

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.