Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Admittedly, I'm obsessed, but I loathe the front plate. (From both an aesthetic and governmental overreach viewpoint.)

Had the tow hook mount for a while, but could never quite get used to it. Porsche could do something at the factory to enable a plug 'n play version of this (in non front radiator cars) and the cost would probably be about 6 cents

Anywho, this may be too much effort for too little return for most, but I had some time on my hands and felt like getting them dirty. I took the bumper off, but couldn't figure out how to get the last two cables unclipped so I ended up taking the plastic insert out as well. With a little help from my Dremel Mighty Max, was able to make the necessary adjustment in less than ten minutes.

Albeit the cut is a little sloppy, but that was fairly easily corrected after the fact.

Just thrilled with how this came out. Thought I'd share. IMG_2480.jpg IMG_2481.jpg

·
Registered
936 Posts
Nice job!

I did something similar (trimmed the plate and bolted it to an aftermarket grille. I also had the tow hook mount, but overall I prefer this look to any other solution.

Re: overreach. What bothers me more about my province is the no-tint law. The local police are constantly warning people about smash and grabs (we have a very large homeless / substance abuse problem) but we can’t have any window film.

So basically we just wait for someone to smash our windows to go through our glove boxes and ash trays and then we file a police report and they send out another warning.

To add insult to injury insurance is “nationalized” so you have to get it from the state (no competition). You can imagine what it costs.

-sigh-

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
Admittedly, I'm obsessed, but I loathe the front plate. (From both an aesthetic and governmental overreach viewpoint.)

Had the tow hook mount for a while, but could never quite get used to it. Porsche could do something at the factory to enable a plug 'n play version of this (in non front radiator cars) and the cost would probably be about 6 cents

Anywho, this may be too much effort for too little return for most, but I had some time on my hands and felt like getting them dirty. I took the bumper off, but couldn't figure out how to get the last two cables unclipped so I ended up taking the plastic insert out as well. With a little help from my Dremel Mighty Max, was able to make the necessary adjustment in less than ten minutes.

Albeit the cut is a little sloppy, but that was fairly easily corrected after the fact.

Just thrilled with how this came out. Thought I'd share. View attachment 209401 View attachment 209403
Looks great, much better than a tow hook mount! (which I too have but don't use)

Reactions: Laaaaaaaaapis981

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
This is the best and only way for cars with no stuff in the center! I was advocating it for years (there is a post here somewhere from 2013 :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
As a sort of "half way" version of this approach is to simply mount the plate with the top of the plate screwed to the black plastic faux grille in the center, and the bottom simply kicks out forward on the body colored lower trim - no screws at all on the lower part of the plate. I feel this approach looks much better than any solution mounting it to the body colored bumper. Also, two holes in the black plastic faux grille is not nearly so noticeable or objectionable (should you decide to remove the plate some day) as it would be in the painted bodywork.

That said, I do very much like the OPs solution, too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm a fan of being able to comply with local law about displaying the plate... especially if I have to use metered parking (to not get a tix from parking enforcement...)... or traveling in an area where LEOs are known to strictly enforce. I'm also a fan of a clean front end when at local Car & Coffee, etc..

I just got my plates for my 981 and like the OP, I'm going to go with inserting the truncated plate in the middle section of lower grill. However, instead of cutting... I'm going to bend 90 degrees -- top and bottom -- just enough depth so I can use some heavy duty black velcro on the top "edge" to secure - and put some sort of felt on the bottom edge to try and protect the paint.

This picture illustrates the bends I'm going to do. articles_preview2.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,666 Posts
For years you could go without a front plate and was a good idea because if pulled over for something; cop could give the ticket for no plate which was no points and $55
Now a lot more $ and cops scan & track everything that's how they catch someone in hours after a crime
Also they go nuts for no plate and dark windows especially in NY
Can't blame them if they can't figure out who's in a car and what are they doing I wouldn't be a happy cop either
Except in FL
they don't care about dark windows
in fact darkest windows are in cop cars
you can't see anything in them
guess it to keep it cooler

1 - 9 of 9 Posts